The Raving Theist

Dedicated to Jesus Christ, Now and Forever

2009 May

Don’t Blame Me

May 31, 2009 | 126 Comments

I’m no killer, as I explain to President Obama in my guest post at The Dawn Patrol.

Please Pray for the Soul of George Tiller

May 31, 2009 | 38 Comments

George Tiller was shot to death this morning in a Wichita Church.

Please pray for his soul, and for his family.

Ashli Update

May 29, 2009 | 85 Comments

Thank you all again for your prayers for Ashli McCall. A biopsy report was finally issued on Wednesday, but the results were inconclusive. It will be a few more days before additional testing is completed so that a definitive diagnosis can be reached. I will update you as the information becomes available.

Please continue to pray. So many miracles relating to Ashli’s ability to obtain proper healthcare have occurred over the past week and I am certain that your prayers have had an effect. Her treatment will resume next week at one of the country’s finest teaching hospitals with doctors who are the simply the best in their respective specialties. The tumor, regardless of its pathology, will be surgically removed on June 11.

I also ask that you pray for Dawn Eden. She’ll be undergoing surgery on the very same day as Ashli. I’ll link to her updates as she posts them. Pray that both of these kind and generous women are fully healed so that they can continue to share their gifts with the world.

Pray & Go

May 23, 2009 | 90 Comments

I’ve contributed a feisty new pro-life post to one of the world’s finest blogs. However, before you read it, please say a prayer for my friend Ashli McCall, who is still awaiting the biopsy results from her ultrasound on Thursday. To see the post, just confirm that you’ve prayed by clicking here. God bless you!

Prayer Request

May 23, 2009 | 4 Comments

Please pray for my friend Cat, an EMT who is suffering from hyperemesis gravidarum in her first pregnancy, for her husband Travis, who is deployed in the Air Force overseas, and for their baby, who is due in November 2010. Despite her illness, from her sickbed Cat is helping other women with HG.

More on Ashli . . .

May 21, 2009 | 4 Comments

. . . in my guest post today at The Dawn Patrol.

I cannot thank Dawn Eden enough for her behind-the-scenes role over the past few weeks in insuring that Ashli receives the best possible medical care. Given Dawn’s years of generosity and support for suffering hyperemetic women, I should not be surprised — but I am. Her kindness and persistence have far transcended the ordinary bounds of friendship. May God bless her richly for all she has done.

Thanks, too, to commenter Lily for her invaluable and ongoing research assistance. Lawyer-in-training Adam Russo has also rendered some time-saving services.

Finally, thanks to all of you for your prayers. Ashli has been greatly strengthened and consoled by them, and there have been a few small miracles along the way that show that God is most certainly listening.

A Message from Ashli

May 14, 2009 | 14 Comments

With her five year old daughter, Elise.

Not Out of the Woods Yet . . . (Ashli Update)

May 12, 2009 | 7 Comments

. . .  but there is some cause for hope regarding my our friend Ashli McCall’s health crisis

First, the endocrinologist agreed to see Ashli yesterday morning instead of having her wait until the end of the month.  The doctor also assured Ashli that treatment for her pancreatic condition would not be delayed or impeded by the adrenal issues. We are awaiting the results of those tests.

Second, at the afternoon meeting with the gasterenterologist, the doctor offered some (extremely) guarded optimism regarding the growth on the pancreas.  He confirmed that the calcification counted against malignancy.  He also stated that Ashli’s youth weighed meaningfully against a cancer diagnosis. He is still concerned about the growth, however, and will be proceeding with the endoscopic ultrasound (including a biopsy) next week.  If it does turn out to be benign, the tumor will likely be left in and periodically monitored.  The doctor noted that there was not a particularly high chance of a benign tumor turning malignant.

Towards the end, the doctor’s assistant opined to Ashli that based on her experience she thought the doctor was “not worried.” Whether she was merely trying to be comforting Ashli could not tell.  Although the meeting brought her some relief, she is still very much worried and asks for your continued prayers.  Regardless of outcome of her tests, she will seek a high quality second opinion and fight vigorously for herself and her family.

Once again, thank you for your prayers.

Ashli Update — Please Help

May 8, 2009 | 12 Comments

Thank you for your prayers for our friend Ashli McCall.   Please continue to pray for her.

Today Ashli is busy preparing for her beautiful daughter’s fifth birthday.  She hopes to celebrate many more of those birthdays, and birthdays for her son as well.  She hopes to dance at their weddings.  

But right now she faces the future with great fear and uncertainty.  After  testing raised concerns regarding her adrenal function, she underwent a CAT scan. On Wednesday, the results indicated a 1.8 centimeter growth on the tail of her pancreas.  Tests are continuing and no firm diagnosis has yet been made.  She does not know whether it is benign, pre-cancerous or malignant.  

At a follow-up visit yesterday afternoon, the doctor somewhat hopefully indicated that he didn’t think that she was a “Michael Landon or a Patrick Swayze.”  He said that there was calcification, which is present in only approximately 20% of cancerous tumors, but it is not clear whether that means that the odds are 80% against malignancy.  The doctors are currently reviewing her medical history, particularly with respect to hyperemesis, to shed light on her condition.  She will meet with a specialist on Monday regarding the scheduling of an endoscopic ultrasound and other matters. 

She will also undergo further testing with regard to the adrenal issue.  The doctors have indicated that they would like to  clarify the nature of that problem before going forward with any surgery (if necessarY) to avoid the need for multiple surgeries.  Ashli is concerned about the potential delay involved with that approach.

That is all we know at this juncture.  We are hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.   Ashli has asked to me to share this information with you, and encourages you to share it with others and seek their prayers.  

She would also welcome any information or advice you could offer regarding doctors, hospital and treatment programs.  After over a decade of tireless research and advocacy for women with hyperemesis, she is simply spent.  This new mountain that has suddenly appeared at her feet is one she does not even want to look at, much less climb.  She needs others to carry her over it.   Please help.

Please Pray for Ashli

May 7, 2009 | 26 Comments

My precious friend Ashli McCall, author of Beyond Morning Sickness: Battling Hyperemesis Gravidarum and a new children’s book, Mama Has Hyperemesis Gravidarum (But Only for A While) — has helped bring the gift of life to countless women and their families.   In the process, she brought me to Christ.

She is now facing a medical crisis of her own and needs your prayers.

Please pray hard, and often, for this kind, selfless woman and her family.

  • Basic Assumptions

    First, there is a God.

    Continue Reading...

  • Search

  • Quote of the Day

    • Fifty Random Links

      See them all on the links page.

      • No Blogroll Links