Daily Headline (Special Olympics)(Updated)

March 19, 2009 | 64 Comments

specialobama21

Washington, D.C., March 20, 2009
Special to The Raving Theist

Appearing on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno today, President Barack Obama likened his bowling ability to the comical ineptness of physically and mentally inferior human beings.

The hilarious comparison was inspired by Leno’s sarcastic crack that the Obama’s recent score of 129 at the White House’s private bowling alley was “very good.”

Not to be upstaged, the President retorted “It’s like the Special Olympics or something.”

The uproarious remark recalled the bumbling, uncoordinated antics of disabled individuals with impaired motor skills and mental retardation — whose athletic ability is often so poor that they are forced to compete against each other in segregated, “special” sporting events for the bemusement of higher beings such as this country’s chief executive.

Obama’s humble, self-effacing quip was particularly humorous because everyone know that, as surely as sun glints off his chiseled pectorals, he could bowl a perfect 300 if he were so inclined to exert himself to that end. The joke further cemented Obama’s reputation as world-class intellect, confident in his abilities and possessing the maturity and judgment befitting the world’s most powerful head of state.

But the President’s wit also underscored the serious burdens imposed upon society by lesser people, whose unnecessary lives could be avoided through enlightened abortion policies. After the laughter subsided, Obama reminded the audience that public figures such as Sarah Palin demeaned their office by giving birth to afflicted children who were doomed to be made laughingstocks by future administrations.

UPDATE: Governor Sarah Palin’s address to the 2009 Special Olympics:

Comments

64 Responses to “Daily Headline (Special Olympics)(Updated)”

1. nader paul kucinich gravel
    March 20th, 2009 @ 12:24 am

A slip of the mask from The Obama Deception;
    A Freudian slip.

Uncle Sam or Uncle Tom?

2. Beelzebub
    March 20th, 2009 @ 6:24 am

You’re being a drama queen again. He makes a thoughtless quip about the Special Olympics so he’s Adolph Hitler.

Republicans. I’m never going to understand them.

3. frustrated (mk)
    March 20th, 2009 @ 6:38 am

B,

You sound like you’re having a hard day…Anything I can do?

4. frustrated (mk)
    March 20th, 2009 @ 6:43 am

OMG, I just watched that video…Words fail me! Dreamy my foot…he looks like the guy you kick sand on at the beach. Reminds me more of Barney Fife than Arnold…for some reason looking at that picture I find myself craving green beans…

March 20th, 2009 @ 6:46 am

It is incomprehensible to me that the press doesn’t see its own hypocrisy. If McChimpyBushHitler had made the comment about the Special Olympics, the press would have been howling for his blood within nano seconds. Of course, had GW needed a vacation after 3 weeks in office the laughter would have caused hurricane force winds. Although, to be fair, I should note that one’s first job is stressful and there aren’t any offices he can abandon this one to run for.

March 20th, 2009 @ 6:49 am

Yeah, what’s with the “glistening” pectorals? He is a skinny, underdeveloped dude with the sex appeal of an overcooked carrot. Frankly, his wife cuts a manlier figure.

7. Carla
    March 20th, 2009 @ 7:12 am

Where is a teleprompter when you need one??

I have fond memories of the Special Olympics that I took my classes to. PBO needs a field trip.

8. Beelzebub
    March 20th, 2009 @ 7:50 am

For American women normal = skinny, super-sized = normal. You must be used to the Glenn Beck sized men.

March 20th, 2009 @ 8:02 am

I have only ever seen Glenn Beck’s head on TV and did not realize he was fat. At least, I think that is what you are saying.

I can’t speak about any American woman other than myself but I don’t find skinny or fat normal. I find normal normal. Within those parameters I do, like most people, find some body types sexier than others. However, no matter how sexy or appealing, a lousy personality and/or socialist political leanings will utterly kill any appreciation I might have had for [given body type].

I’m shallow, I guess.

10. Neil
    March 20th, 2009 @ 8:28 am

Normally I’d say to give a slip of the tongue a pass, but but it is worth pointing out that if Obama had his way there would be no Special Olympics, and I mean that literally: All disabled or even potentially disabled humans would be destroyed in the womb.

11. Gaffer in Chief strikes again « 4Simpsons Blog - Eternity Matters
    March 20th, 2009 @ 8:33 am

[…] Obama’s gaffe about the Special Olympics is worth analyzing because of his extreme pro-abortion […]

12. Michael Drake
    March 20th, 2009 @ 9:40 am

Nailed it! Obama, Jay and the Tonight Show audience (who responded favorably to this shockingly heinous crack) are all baby-killing Nazis.

Meanwhile, without a trace of irony, the self-righteous here make fun of Obama’s supposed physical unattractiveness.

Ah, if only there were an Olympic competition for jumping the shark…

13. frustrated (mk)
    March 20th, 2009 @ 9:56 am

Michael,

We didn’t make fun of his physical unattractiveness…we responded to a New York Post article claiming he was Dreamy and had glistening pectorals. I agree that if we had just out of the blue started rippin’ his physique to shreds (which, incidentally doesn’t look like it would be all that hard to do), then we would be acting wrongly. But we didn’t write that article.

And we certainly didn’t compare him to an entire group of people with a handicap!

We said he was thin and hardly looked like a body builder which is what the article CLAIMED…

14. Skeptimal
    March 20th, 2009 @ 10:28 am

Wow, RA/RT: That ten-ton chip on your shoulder must make it hard to walk!

Did you get as worked up about Bush’s torture, unconstitutional actions, and illegal wars as you are about an impolitic comment by Obama?

What is your problem? Because it has nothing to do with Obama, atheists, or abortion. Those are just excuses, and it becomes more evident all the time.

March 20th, 2009 @ 10:31 am

LOL, mk. I lift weights and could take the Chosen One down single-handed! His wife? Not sure about that…

Obama is a baby-killer and proud of it. Why are you trying to detract from his one accomplishment, Drake? What are you? A Republican?

16. Michael Drake
    March 20th, 2009 @ 10:48 am

“We didn’t make fun of his physical unattractiveness.”

Um…

“Dreamy my foot…[Obama] looks like the guy you kick sand on at the beach. Reminds me more of Barney Fife than Arnold.”

“He is a skinny, underdeveloped dude with the sex appeal of an overcooked carrot. Frankly, his wife cuts a manlier figure.”

17. frustrated (mk)
    March 20th, 2009 @ 11:37 am

Michael,

Exactly. Never said whether I found Barney Fife attractive or not. Just said that Obama’s physique more resembled him than a body builders…For all you know, I might have a secret crush on Don Knotts…I might like my guys on the wiry side. ;)

18. JoAnna
    March 20th, 2009 @ 11:39 am

Wow. As others have said, if Bush had made that crack the press would have been howling for blood.

It’s also interesting to note that when Obama read the wrong speech off of a teleprompter, there was not widespread media coverage. If Bush had made the gaffe, you can almost guarantee that there would have been.

I disagree with the article about Obama’s fantastic physique and glistening pectorals, but I think he’s a handsome enough guy. Too bad his inner beauty doesn’t seem to match, at least not in my perception.

19. frustrated (mk)
    March 20th, 2009 @ 11:41 am

Michael,

For the record, I feel the same way about Brad Pitt. He too holds about as much sex appeal (for me) as an over cooked carrot.

It’s the fact that Obama was being touted PUBLICLY, that allowed my opinion to be shared.

Besides, we both know your nitpicking…either that or you have a crush on Obama yourself? I’m teasin’….

Fine. I wasn’t being nice. Let me rephrase. Obama is too thin to be compared to a body builder. There, is that better?

March 20th, 2009 @ 12:16 pm

Brad Pitt? Undercooked, cold brussel sprouts! Blech.

Michael, you need a hobby. Seriously. I mean other than being a contrarian and nay-sayer on a blog.

Really, coming down on anyone for having fun (lots of it) knocking the schoolgirl pronouncements of “dreaminess”, along with coy descriptions of their sexual longings for Obama that we have had to endure from aging “journalists” and “opinion makers”, is an unhealthy sign. If we are going to demonstrate how deranged and partisan they are, we are going to have to describe the object of their fantasies accurately.

Overcooked carrot fits that bill. IMNSHO

21. Michael Drake
    March 20th, 2009 @ 2:45 pm

“Let me rephrase.”

This just misses the point, which was about the irony of the dialectic:

Obama: I’m such a lame bowler, it’s like the Special Olympics or something.

TRA, et. al: Gasp! Making fun of the unfortunate physical attributes of others is evil. Plus, you’re ugly!

Of course Lily and Joanna are right to think that if Bush had made this same remark, we’d have been treated to similarly overwrought self-righteous talk from liberal wingnuts. I guess I just don’t see that as all that solid a defense of overwrought self-righteous talk, though. Your mileage may vary.

March 20th, 2009 @ 3:08 pm

Michael, I recommend collecting vintage post cards. It is a very fun hobby and I can help you learn all about it, since I used to be an avid collector.

Otherwise, dude: Get. A. Hobby. The only over-wrought talk here is coming from you. The rest of us are too busy barfing over the media’s love affair with the Pectorially-Challenged One.

It isn’t a matter of mileage varying. Some of us are moving forward and some of us are spinning our wheels and tilting at the windmills of Overwrought Talk that don’t exist.

23. Richard Norris
    March 20th, 2009 @ 3:18 pm

Just found this in the blog’s archive. “Like the Special Olympics, in the Atheist Jesus Poetry Contest everyone’s a winner just for trying. Indeed, it takes a “special” sort of person to mock a dying man, to remind him in verse that there’s no hope once this sad short life is over. So here, in order of e-mail receipt, are the offerings of the lyrical souls brave enough to pay tribute to the life and impending death of Cass Brown, The Atheist Jesus.” It’s from April 6th, 2004. In the world of the Raving Atheist, it’s okay to compare other people to participants in the Special Olympics IF you don’t support abortion. Hypocrite.

the blog’s archive.

24. Daniel M
    March 20th, 2009 @ 3:32 pm

I doubt Bush saying it would have gotten much of a rise, after all he is a prime example of mouth-breathing, window-licking, knuckle-dragging incompetence who managed to almost kill himself eating a pretzel and falling off a couch…

On the other hand, it’s the sort of remark that the far right will drag up and cackle about with glee, despite being “wrong” to say (along with jew jokes, gay jokes and a lot of other things). He’s going to catch hell for it from the morally outrageable crowd, most of which ignored Bush’s torture memos, removal of habeas corpus, extraordinary rendition, war mongering and so on.

I’m just saying, if you’re going to get worked up about something the president does, you sure do like to pick on the little things.

And wasn’t Trig Bristol’s daughter?

25. JoAnna
    March 20th, 2009 @ 3:52 pm

Daniel –

Trig is Sarah & Todd Palin’s son. Bristol Palin and her boyfriend Levi Johnson also have a son, and I believe they named him Trapper.

I do not like Bush’s policies of torture or his war-mongering, and I’ve been an outspoken opponent of his actions in those aspects. However, believe it or not, it’s possible to criticize Obama without being in love with GWB.

In the 2004 election, I felt we were faced with the lesser of two evils, and I’m still not sure if that’s what we got.

I do admire Bush’s pro-life stances, though. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

26. Erin
    March 20th, 2009 @ 4:12 pm

I don’t think it would have occurred to Bush to make fun of the Special Olympics. He’s a different kind of man than this guy.

27. Daniel M
    March 20th, 2009 @ 4:16 pm

@25: it isn’t that the shrubbery be praised, but that the silence was deafening from certain quarters that are currently whooping it up over a faux pas.

If you are angry at Bush for his misdemeanors and not impressed with the politically incorrect joke from Obama, then well done for being rational about things. If you’re a Limbaugh ditto-head and nodded sagely whilst he proclaimed that Michael J Fox was faking it, then you have no ground to stand on.

And seriously, going back to work three days after labour? and not once showing that she was pregnant in any pictures? and her daughter mysteriously off school for 5-8 months? and looking decidedly pregnant in many pictures?

Anyway, that circus is done and I’m certainly glad Obama won, I’d take the guy who makes inappropriate jokes over the knuckle-dragger who got a country into two quagmires, shit on the constitution, ignored the law, spied on his own people and arranged for secret detention camps where people were tortured and held without trial or evidence, any day of the week.

If that’s the worst that can be said about Obama (other than the rabid bleatings that he’s a “pro abortion” baby-eating monster) and conversely the best that can be said about Bush is that he thought it a great idea that women were just cattle for impregnating with the next generation of holy christian jihadists, then gee, I’m even more glad about having my opinion backed up.

28. Michael Drake
    March 20th, 2009 @ 4:38 pm

Richard Norris, nice catch. How…awkward.

Lily, collecting vintage post cards seems like it would be your strong suit.

29. Livingstrong
    March 20th, 2009 @ 5:40 pm

This is a great post addressing the difference between two people in power with different political agendas and definitely, with different levels of class. Even though I don’t like Sarah Palin’s preferences in some other very important human and animal rights, I have to admit that she is admirable for supporting the Special Olympics and feeling proud about her baby. BTW, her baby is just beautiful.
    Mr. President Obama made a horrible comment, terribly insulting to hundreds of thousands of brave and courageous athletes with special needs all over the world who go out and run, swim, bike, ski, bowl, etc. These athletes deserve all my admiration and respect, and it’s a shame that a President of a country can make this kind of comment about real heroes. Sad day for humanity.
    Call me drama queen, I don’t care.

“I think its important to see that words hurt and words do matter, and these words that in some respect can be seen as humiliating or a put-down to people with special needs do cause pain and they do result in stereotypes and result in behavior that is neglectful and almost oppressive of people with special needs,” Said Timothy Shriver, Special Olympics Chairman

Special Olympics Response

30. JoAnna
    March 20th, 2009 @ 5:41 pm

Daniel – it’d be impossible for Bristol Palin to be Trig’s mother, given the timing of her (Bristol’s) pregnancy. As I understand it, Sarah Palin took very little maternity leave with all of her pregnancies and also wore a lot of loose clothing and long scarves to hide her belly. It’s very possible if you know what tricks to use. They do it in TV all the time for actresses who are pregnant when their character isn’t. I believe that rumor about Trig’s parentage has been debunked many, many times.

Richard – given that TRT’s entire belief system and moral worldview has changed since he wrote that earlier post, I wouldn’t call it hypocrisy. I’d call it changing one’s mind due to an entirely different worldview. For example, if someone is once a pro-life Christian and then, a few years later, becomes a pro-abortion atheist, would that mean that s/he is a hypocrite and thus can never say/do anything in the pro-abortion movement?

March 20th, 2009 @ 5:57 pm

Drake said: Lily, collecting vintage post cards seems like it would be your strong suit.

It is hard to see anything meaningful in this statement any more than I can see anything meaningful in your objections to our mocking the Obama enthusiasts. Well, I told you you needed a hobby. Who knew that off-topic, contrarian posting was it?

Re Trig Palin. Apart from Bristol’s pregnancy and its timing, at least one Anchorage newscaster has stated that she could see that the Governor was pregnant in the last month or two of her pregnancy– i.e. that it was no surprise to her when Sarah Palin gave birth. It really seems strange that the deranged left won’t give this up. If they valued science half as much as they claim to, the might want to look up the relative frequency of Down syndrome occuring in babies born to mothers under 20 and those over 40. At some point, sanity has to kick in.

Livingstrong– great post! Thank you for stating the case so beautifully.

32. frustrated (mk)
    March 20th, 2009 @ 7:02 pm

Michael,

Just as with the chicken and he egg, you have become so fixated on your version of the conversation that you fail to hear anyone else.

We were responding to the people that are enamored by Obama’s physical appearance and nothing more. If you find that hypocritical so be it.

Having down syndrome is completely different than claiming to work out three days a week and still having the body of limp vegetable. One has a choice, the other doesn’t.

It’s not like we made fun of his ears.

33. frustrated (mk)
    March 20th, 2009 @ 7:03 pm

Livingstrong,

I agree with Lily. That was absolutely beautiful.

See Lily, I told you they weren’t all evil ;)

34. frustrated (mk)
    March 20th, 2009 @ 7:09 pm

Daniel M,

I agree with you that the post RT put up when he was RA was in poor taste. But then, I think a lot of what RA did when he was RA was in poor taste. However, I disagree that he is being hypocritical. It would have been nice, however, if he had acknowledged his former faux pas. Perhaps he’s forgotten. I feel confident however, that once he sees your reminder, he will indeed feel shame.

Someday you too might have a change of heart, and regret some of the things you have done and said. When someone else does or says the same things, you might comment on the wrongness of them. I can see why you would see it as hypocritical…I honestly can…all I can say is that both Obama and RA acted with extreme insensitivity.

But only one of them regrets it.

March 20th, 2009 @ 7:17 pm

It’s not like we made fun of his ears.

LOL!! Snorfle, gasp, LOL!!! :) :) :)

all I can say is that both Obama and RA acted with extreme insensitivity.

But only one of them regrets it.

Man, when you put your nun costume on, I can feel my knuckles shrieking, mk!

You go, girl!

36. frustrated (mk)
    March 20th, 2009 @ 7:20 pm

Lily,

Haha…you should see me when I get my ruler out.

Actually they both probably regret saying it…one because it was wrong, and one because he got caught…

37. Michael Drake
    March 20th, 2009 @ 8:28 pm

“you have become so fixated on your version of the conversation that you fail to hear anyone else.”

Would that it were so.

March 20th, 2009 @ 9:22 pm

What a wonderful find, RT– that clip of Sarah Palin with Trig is terrific.

39. Jordan
    March 21st, 2009 @ 12:51 am

He has hurt many families in America. He needs to say he is sorry in the public, not to an organization.

In addition, someone who claims to have experienced prejudice and stereotypes throughout life, and has written about them in great detail, should be more sensitive and refined from life’s lessons.

Furthermore, Obama claimed he was going to have the world think ‘highly’ of America again. Will this joke help?

For someone who spoke of equality as a creed. Does this joke match that philosophy?

For someone that said he would stand for all people. Does this stand up for those that participate in the special Olympics?

The fact is Obama claimed a higher standard. To much is given, much is required.

Obama has just showed us that ‘yes we can’ destroy what a campaign stands for with a single joke.

During the campaign for the White House in 2008, the media criticized Palin for being ‘common,’ ‘not-polished,’ ‘not-compassionate’ and ‘not presidential.’ However, compare Sarah Palins attitude in this video created three weeks ago for the Special Olympics in Boise, Idaho.

You decide the more ‘presidential’ among them. Watch: http://tinyurl.com/ccz6nj

40. frustrated (mk)
    March 21st, 2009 @ 5:36 am

Would that it were so.

Point proven.

41. Richard Norris
    March 21st, 2009 @ 10:25 am

And now we have an official apology from Barak Obama, given to the Special Olympics, which the chairman of the Special Olympics said he found very moving. Obama has also invited Special Olympics athletes inside the White House to play bowling and more. There is something refreshing in seeing a man apologize for his failing. We are all prone to mistakes and slip ups, and I imagine that a man who made the same mistake himself would be able to put himself in the shoes of that idividual and be able to let go of his transgression. Perhaps he would even be able to apologize himself for his egregious behavior?

42. JoAnna
    March 21st, 2009 @ 11:55 am

I hope, and pray, that through spending time with these very special and unique individuals, President Obama will come to realize that others like them do not deserve death while in utero.

March 21st, 2009 @ 1:26 pm

Play bowling? Is that anything like playing president which Obama does about as well as he bowls?

JoAnna, you are so very right. Who can forget Jocelyn Elders crowing about the reduction in births of handicapped children thanks to abortion?

Abortion has had an important, and positive,
    public-health effect in that it has reduced the
    number of children afflicted with severe
    defects. The number of Down syndrome
    infants in Washington state in 1976 was 64%
    lower than it would have been without legal
    abortion.

Shortly after making this remark, Clinton named her Surgeon General!

She also wanted to know when we were going to get over our love affair with the fetus. I wonder when she and all other abortion promoters are going to get over their love affair with killing. I find it incomprehensible that so many people find abortion and the practice of medicine compatible. They are diametrically opposed in their aims. I wonder when the prohibition on performing an abortion was dropped from the Hippocratic oath?

44. K T Cat
    March 21st, 2009 @ 7:35 pm

Thanks for posting this. I hadn’t seen Sarah Palin’s Special Olympics piece before. That was inspiring.

45. ravingatheist
    March 21st, 2009 @ 9:48 pm

Richard Norris,

While you’re at it, the real ammo is in my old posts mocking the grieving parents of raped and murdered little girls, or in the next contest I ran for obituary cartoons depicting the joint arrival of Terri Schiavo, Frank Perdue and the Pope in Heaven (1st Prize — $50 to Feminists for Life). Good taste was never my forte.

But you’re off-base in your criticism of my 2004 Atheist Jesus Poetry Contest post. It referred to the Special Olympics because at the outset of the contest I promised the participants that I would publish every entry. As people in the disability community know, the unofficial motto of the Special Olympics Everyone is a Winner. I was simply making a loose comparsion of methodologies. And in borrowing the word “special” from the name of the event, I wasn’t using it to mock any characteristics of the disabled. I was using it to describe the “specialness” of people who would write poems celebrating the impending death of a man — Cass Brown — who was terminally ill with colon cancer that had spread to both his lungs, his liver and pelvis. As Cass (who judged the contest) said, “[o]n reflection I did actually expect anyone entering such a competition to have a blog spouting vitriol and bitterness against just about everything that moved.”

The only reason the Special Olympics and its motto came to my mind is that my younger brother is mentally disabled. My mother headed up the local Special Ed PTA and with all my brother’s friends our living room was Disability Central. As a teen I babysat for Down Syndrome children, and with my mother’s passing I became primarily responsible for my brother’s welfare. Once I became active in pro-life activities, it was difficult for me attend one of his disability-related programs or events without thinking of the abortion industry’s profit-driven motive to encourage and facilitate the extermination all of his friends.

And yes, my brother has belonged to bowling leagues most of his adult life (high score: 207), playing with enough frequency that the local bowling alley hired him to do odd jobs for about year. When we went to IHOP last night he indicated that he had heard something about Obama mentioning the Special Olympics. He assumed it was some sort of endorsement. “Oh, that’s not very nice,” was his response to my explanation.

I suppose if I had thought the 2004 post through more carefully I might have dispensed with the Special Olympics reference simply because so many people tend to construe any mention of the event as an effort to mock its athletes. They do so because people like Obama, with no ties to the disability community, chortle heartily when making such jokes. Ann Althouse thinks his crack might even have been scripted. Either way, he’s pretty clueless. Even people who might privately make disability jokes would never utter them in mixed company, unintentionally or on purpose. And certainly they’d be able to restrain themselves if they were the President of the United States making a highly-hyped appearance on a national talk show.

46. Beelzebub
    March 22nd, 2009 @ 5:00 am

Yes, it was a clueless remark, but unfortunately that particular “joke” is pretty widespread and pernicious. How many times have you, or any reader here, caught yourself only too late amidst something similar and of questionable taste, only because you’re parroting something you heard reflexively? “He who is without sin…” and all that. We all risk committing faux pas. If you actually believe it gives you some insight into Obama’s personality, even after he’s apologized and invited SO bowlers to the white house, well, it’s a free country. You can bang your head against that concrete wall over yonder too.

47. frustrated (mk)
    March 22nd, 2009 @ 6:59 am

“Yes, it was a clueless remark, but …”

But…I expect more from my president than I do from the average citizen…don’t you?

As for the apology…Yeah, that was great…but I can’t help but wonder what he is sorry for…saying it, or being caught saying it.

48. frustrated (mk)
    March 22nd, 2009 @ 7:01 am

RT,

LOL…we’re always being asked for evidence that God exists…I’m thinking your old posts compared to you new posts are pretty much all the evidence anyone would ever need…talk about miraculous!

49. Beelzebub
    March 22nd, 2009 @ 7:41 am

Yes, actually I do. However, that’s not the opinion vast numbers of Americans gave with regards to GW Bush. He was “the guy you could have a beer with” remember?

I happen to believe big O has extraordinary qualities far above the norm in leadership. Of course, that’s going to fall on deaf ears for people who have made their minds up that he’s Adolph Hitler.

50. Beelzebub
    March 22nd, 2009 @ 7:49 am

Once I became active in pro-life activities, it was difficult for me attend one of his disability-related programs or events without thinking of the abortion industry’s profit-driven motive to encourage and facilitate the extermination [of] all of his friends.

Once again, illogical hyperbole. But I’m getting tired of explaining it. I feel like Khan in the original Star Trek episode. “Now YOU must tell Me why!!!”

(And since I don’t trust any of your knowledges of campy 60’s sci fi — that’s a eugenics joke.)

51. Beelzebub
    March 22nd, 2009 @ 7:56 am

I intend to take this ship.

March 22nd, 2009 @ 7:59 am

Actually, Bbub, while I have a QE II sized boatload of sins to deal with, making jokes about people, whether handicapped, gay, black …. (insert usual target)has never been a feature of my discourse or that of most of the people I know– at least not since my teens.

However, I do think that it was a thoughtless gaffe. I don’t think, as you put it, that it gives [us] some insight into Obama’s personality”. Rather, it gives us insight into Obama’s character. We expect better of our president, even when we don’t get it.

The man is not up to the job.

53. skeptimal
    March 22nd, 2009 @ 8:18 am

I’m heartened that an American president is being held accountable for his words.

Where, though, were all you good bleeding-heart liberal Republican Christians when GWB was dismantling social services for veterans and the developmentally disabled, civil rights protections, whistle-blower protections, etc. Where were you when Rummy was referring to our traditional European allies as “Old Europe.” Where were you good kind people when Bush put a man in as UN Embassador who advocated blowing up the top twelve floors of the UN building in New York?

The hypocrisy here is staggering. Do you people think the rest of us have forgotten what you’ve done to this country?

54. frustrated (mk)
    March 22nd, 2009 @ 8:28 am

B…

Ahhhh…but how do you feel about his glistening pecs??? ;)
    (that was joke, btw, a little light hearted teasing…okay?)

Seriously tho,
    I prefer not compare Obama to George Bush, mostly because every president must stand on his own. You’re right that many of us have made up our minds about Barack, and he has done nothing to prove us wrong. From vetoing the Born Alive Infant Protection Act, to buying into Global Warming, to the Mexico City Policy to the Stimulus Package, to FOCA to lipstick/seance/special olympic remarks, to talking out two sides of his mouth, the man has done nothing but lower his image in my eyes…

Was GWB perfect…good Lord, NO! But he is no longer our president and he is not the one that made the gaffe. Showing me that HE did something wrong to prove that Obama is okay, won’t work. It is possible, no? that BOTH of them are in the wrong on many issues?

Plus, there is something to be said for living up to a higher standard without being arrogant…

Drinking a beer with the common man, while still maintaining the dignity due a president? Hmmmm…reminds me of someone…

Oh I know, it reminds me of another guy that went around eating and drinking with sinners and tax collectors and fisherman…all the time claiming to be the Son of God…

55. skeptimal
    March 22nd, 2009 @ 8:36 am

OK, before anyone says it, you’re right. I shouldn’t have lumped everyone together as if you were all blind supporters of the miserable failure.

I know some of you were offended by GWB’s actions and were just as powerless as I was to do anything about it. The rest of you, please don’t post defenses or excuses for the man, because there are none, but if we’re going to get past these hard times, we’re going to have to do it together. That includes those of you who salute Rush Limbaugh and who think liberals and moderates are all Satanists.

56. frustrated (mk)
    March 22nd, 2009 @ 8:38 am

Skep,

I’m ashamed to admit that I didn’t follow GWB’s presidency all that closely…if you’ll show me/take me through all of the issues you just pointed out, and they prove to be true, I’ll be the first to say…”What the Heck?”

March 22nd, 2009 @ 8:51 am

There is a diffence– and not a small one– between errors of judgement and moral failures. GWB may well be guilty of errors of judgement. Obama is one wise-cracking moral failure from beginning to end.

The media has covered up for him from the beginning but, as someone else put it, this time he made a fatuous wisecrack on TV and the press couldn’t cover it up. I expect more from a president than wisecracks about Jessica Simpson and handicapped children. I can’t speak for Bbub or Skeptimal or any other Obama apologist.

58. JoAnna
    March 22nd, 2009 @ 2:01 pm

I detest GWB. His heart may be in the right place in terms of pro-life issues, but in every other aspect I think the man is an idiot. I most emphatically don’t support his strategies in Iraq or in regard to capital punishment, and I don’t like No Child Left Behind at all.

As to his cutting veteran’s benefits — Obama’s trying to do that too.

Bush made many, many gaffes — there’s more than enough for those daily calendars! But when Obama also screws up, I don’t think he gets nearly the press coverage that GWB did.

59. JoAnna
    March 22nd, 2009 @ 2:28 pm

Hee hee…

60. JoAnna
    March 22nd, 2009 @ 2:29 pm
  61. Richard Norris
    March 23rd, 2009 @ 12:35 pm

Raving Theist, I apologize for misunderstanding you. Given that I had no knowledge of your personal life, I was unable to understand you and the context in which you wrote.

62. skeptimal
    March 23rd, 2009 @ 7:33 pm

“They do so because people like Obama, with no ties to the disability community, chortle heartily when making such jokes.”

Is it more disgusting to make an off-“color” joke at your own expense, as Obama did, or to milk a relatively innocent mistake for the melodrama? I don’t know whether you’re lying about your brother or not, but I can’t see any sincere purpose in convincing him he was being mocked when you know damned well he wasn’t.

63. frustrated (mk)
    March 23rd, 2009 @ 7:49 pm

Hey Skep,

Posts 126 and 127 on the other Daily Headline posts…are for you….

64. Melissa
    March 25th, 2009 @ 1:42 pm

My son is hearing impaired and has done special league bowling. I think the comment he made is awful, but it says more about his abilities than anything else. What he is REALLY saying about himself is that he believes he’s just as “handicapped” as a special needs child trying to bowl. So, in that regard, I loved the comment because he’s finally saying something truthful about himself for a change!! The only difference is that when people like my son bowl, they have pure genuine hearts that go all out to have fun and “win.” There is nothing impaired about their hearts or intellect. Obama, however, is the true RETARD!!! ;)