It’s All About the “A”

January 20, 2009 | 10 Comments

Amanda Marcotte of Pandagon is rejoicing over President Obama’s hat tip to non-believers in his inaugural address. She believes that “the inclusion of non-believers in the inaugural speech is such a big honking deal” because:

Of course.

Comments

10 Responses to “It’s All About the “A””

1. UnspeakablyViolentJane
    January 20th, 2009 @ 9:34 pm

Erin, you mean like Ashli’s baby? You might want to think before you start randomly swinging.

Behold Christian Love.

Brian, dude, I was hoping to continue our conversation, but I’ve had my fill. Thank you again for not voting for McSame.

2. BlueOx
    January 20th, 2009 @ 9:46 pm

I was listening to Obama’s speech and he started listing the cults – christians, jews, muslims, hindu…

and I was just thinking in my head “oh good grief, are we going to list every single religion on this planet…

NON-BELIEVERS!

I was like “wut?!” I was at work listening and I accidentally thought outloud “omg he said non-believers…”

Like 2 people sitting next to me turn their heads at me “what did you say?” as if they were in denial of what they heard or as if they couldn’t believe i said such a thing.

My co-workers were like “so?” I said “Sooo… he’s talking to me!”

One raised an eyebrow at me and another was stunned “you don’t believe in god?”

“Not now, let’s listen to the man i voted for speak”

Afterwards the speech everyone tossed their evaluation of the speech into the sewing circle for about two seconds “good speech”, “yeah, he said it right with the right tone” then they turned to me…

“I didn’t know you didn’t believe in god…” said one of the workers.

I said “howdy”

then it was yet another rehash of bible vs. reality and I got bored right away “not now guys lets have lunch to discuss… ”

So now my lunches are booked for 3 days.

3. Kelly Clark
    January 20th, 2009 @ 9:58 pm

“omg he said non-believers…”

Short-handed name dropper! :-)

4. Joanne
    January 20th, 2009 @ 10:28 pm

I didn’t take an in-depth look at her site, because really I’m not that interested in it, but it strikes me at first glance as sort of adolescent.

5. Melissa
    January 20th, 2009 @ 11:34 pm

Ditto to that Joanne.

6. skeptimal
    January 21st, 2009 @ 7:42 am

” Acknowledging atheists as equal citizens to the faithful has a ton of policy implications, ranging from small things like the Pledge to bigger issues, like the right to use birth control and abortion.

Of course.”

7. Jahrta
    January 21st, 2009 @ 10:49 am

My guess is “frontal lobotomy.” That, or christ-puncher pussy.

8. Alphonsus
    January 22nd, 2009 @ 9:45 am

“So in two years’ time, you’ve come from being an atheist to the point that you’re ready to blame non-theism for everything your new brethren have told you is wrong. And you feel picked on because people are wondering what the hell happened to you.”

skeptimal,
    Isn’t it the Pandagon writer who is attributing abortion support to atheists (i.e. “blaming” it on atheists)? Also, I though that RT was anti-abortion even before his conversion.

9. robbie
    January 23rd, 2009 @ 5:55 am

BlueOx: I said “wow obama said non-believers.” I could feel my face going flush because I stood a little taller when he said that. My thoughts were ‘this guy Obama is talking to ME! YAY!”

Dubya:

Religion is a personal, private matter and parents, not public school officials, should decide their children’s religious training. We should not have teacher-led prayers in public schools, and school officials should never favor one religion over another, or favor religion over no religion (or vice versa). I also believe that schools should not restrict students’ religious liberties. The free exercise of faith is the fundamental right of every American, and that right doesn’t stop at the schoolhouse door.

My job is to make sure that, as President, people understand that in this country you can worship any way you choose. And I’ll take that a step further. You can be a patriot if you don’t believe in the Almighty. You can honor your country and be as patriotic as your neighbor.

Americans practice different faiths in churches, synagogues, mosques and temples. And many good people practice no faith at all.

Interesting… no?

10. robbie
    January 23rd, 2009 @ 6:04 am

Also, let us not forget that Dubya’s political mastermind and close advisor, Karl Rove, is an atheist. He’s the one that came up with that ‘gay marriage crisis is an assault on our most cherished religious beliefs’ schtick. How that work out for ya?

Don’t believe everything you hear. Double-so when it’s coming from a politician.