Friday Trivia Question

January 16, 2009 | 39 Comments

Washington D.C. will become a city of hope next week, as thousands
flock to participate in an historic event — the annual March for Life. The march memorializes the Supreme Court’s 1973 decision in Roe v. Wade, whose pseudonymous plaintiff was later revealed to be Norma McCorvey. Befriended by a pro-life activist while she was working at an abortion clinic, McCorvey ultimately converted to Christianity and has advocated for pro-life causes ever since.

Asking that politics, religion and morality be put aside, I hereby pose the following trivia question: When did McCorvey first publicly disclose her identity to a professional news organization (television, newspaper, magazine, wire service, etc.)? Please provide a source for you answer and be as precise as possible as to the date (or range of dates) of her revelation. Answers should be left in the comments to this post. Winner gets to choose the next category (e.g., dogs, reptiles, power tools) into which I will translate the Lord’s prayer. No winner will be declared unless the best answer received is accurate to within one year of the correct date. Please do not enter if you are one of the people to whom I previously supplied the answer.

Answer will be announced tomorrow, Saturday, January 17th, 2009. Submissions must be received tonight by midnight, EST.

Comments

39 Responses to “Friday Trivia Question”

1. Beelzebub
    January 16th, 2009 @ 3:09 am

537 marbles. Now give me the damn SUV. Give it to me! Damn it.

2. Carla
    January 16th, 2009 @ 8:02 am

Fine. I will not enter, cause you gave me the answer. :)
    I am pretty sure that HUNDREDS of thousands of people will be attending the March for Life!! But don’t look for that in the liberal media.

January 16th, 2009 @ 8:15 am

Hmmm. If I win, I can get RT to translate the Lord’s prayer into dog. But I have to find the correct answer to an arcanine question, first. How? How? How?

4. UnspeakablyViolentJane
    January 16th, 2009 @ 8:41 am

It was October 22, 1980 in the Dallas Morning News. My source is Liberty and Sexuality by David J Garrow.

5. Margaret Catherine
    January 16th, 2009 @ 10:32 am

Oh, no. *lol*

6. Swk6
    January 16th, 2009 @ 11:27 am

UVJ,

I am anxiously awaiting what you will want the “Lords” prayer translated into.

7. Melissa
    January 16th, 2009 @ 12:02 pm

I hear you Carla. :( And I wish that I could be there. But, I will be at the local one in my area on the 24th – which is also the same day that my closest and dearest pro-life friend celebrates their birthday. How fitting! :)

8. Swk6
    January 16th, 2009 @ 12:39 pm

Which liberal media did you mean? Fox News? The New York Post? Wall Street Journal? Maybe talk radio???

9. Skeptimal
    January 16th, 2009 @ 12:56 pm

“But don’t look for that in the liberal media.”

You know, there *may* be something else of interest going on in Washington next week. I seem to recall something…what was it? Darn! It was right on the tip of my tongue, too.

Somehow I think that darned liberal evil demonic media can be forgiven for not focusing on yet another Christian hatefest.

January 16th, 2009 @ 1:03 pm

How does the upcoming inauguration explain the utter failure of big media to cover the March for Life in past years?

11. Swk6
    January 16th, 2009 @ 1:06 pm

I don’t know Lily…write a letter to Rupert. I’m sure you have his ear.

12. Skeptimal
    January 16th, 2009 @ 1:10 pm

On a less combative note, Lily, the media don’t cover demonstrations of any kind as much as they used to (unless they get violent). There have been tens of thousands of people marching on Washington and various issues and it never even made the national news.

13. nkb
    January 16th, 2009 @ 1:41 pm

It’s obviously an atheist conspiracy.

14. Brian Walden
    January 16th, 2009 @ 2:00 pm

It’s obviously an atheist conspiracy.

Don’t give yourself too much credit, NKB, Christians are doing just fine at suppressing the pro-life movement.

January 16th, 2009 @ 2:03 pm

Oh? Skeptimal, can you name one group, numbering in the tens of thousands, that the media has not covered thoroughly?

16. Skeptimal
    January 16th, 2009 @ 2:34 pm

Lily,

Yeah, but I’m not prepared to name dates off the top of my head. I know there were numerous peace rallies from 2003-2005 with attendees numbering in the tens of thousands that were ignored by the national media, not just in DC, but around the country. A friend of mine went to a gay rights rally numbering in the tens of thousands a few years ago that never made the national media. The media very seldom covered protests against Bush the past eight years, and not just those protests in the U.S. Bush was demonstrated against by hundreds of thousands in Britain and Europe, but our media barely covered it, if at all.

Unless they get violent or scary, like at the WTO demonstrations in Seattle or the Westboro Baptist Church outrages, they just don’t seem to make the news. by and large, marches and demonstrations have become background noise for all but their participants.

Regarding the anti-choice movement, unless you have something new to say, it’s not going to get the media’s attention. Once they feel they’ve heard all a group has to say, it stops being news to them.

January 16th, 2009 @ 3:38 pm

See, I’m not buying it, Skeptimal. The media covered peace rallies in which only hundreds of people showed up. Just look at the circus around Cindy Sheehan. They always report on the side they support. Are these the same rallies you think weren’t covered? Or do you have information about others that I don’t know about?

It just isn’t believable that a gay-rights rally that attracted tens of thousands wasn’t covered. The media is in bed with the gay rights community. When was it? Where? Then we can look and see to what extent it was covered or not. It may be that the organizers and participants were not satisfied with the coverage but that is different than total or near-total silence on a huge rally.

18. Jahrta
    January 16th, 2009 @ 3:59 pm

Who the hell would call Fox news a liberal media outlet? It’s one of the most biased right-wing nut hatcheries on the airwaves. Here’s a hint: when a news station/channel feels compelled to tell you that they’re “fair and balanced” you are pretty much assured right there that they are neither.

19. Skeptimal
    January 16th, 2009 @ 4:29 pm

“See, I’m not buying it, Skeptimal.”

I can’t help you with that, Lilly. As I mentioned, I don’t have my list of un-covered protests handy. All I can tell you is that I’m somewhat of a student of the media (and I was a journalism major), but I’m not the only one to observe that the media just don’t cover protests like they used to. If you pick almost any cause out there, liberal or conservative, you will find complaints that the media did not cover this protest or that march, regardless of the size.

And it isn’t just protests. You and I are going to feel that our causes are so important that it’s an outrage that the media don’t pay attention. It doesn’t matter. What makes news are *new* things, *new* developments, or items that are unexpected. One more gathering of Christians saying abortion is wrong is not unexpected, and it therefore is not going to be considered newsworthy unless it’s a slow news day.

I’m not saying that they *shouldn’t* cover conservative Christian causes. All I’m saying is that they aren’t singling out Christians to ignore. The advantage you have that non-conservatives don’t is that Fox “News” and talk radio are standing by to cater to *your* every hatred and prejudice.

January 16th, 2009 @ 5:31 pm

“The advantage you have that non-conservatives don’t is that Fox “News” and talk radio are standing by to cater to *your* every hatred and prejudice.”

You were doing so well, til you plugged in this obligatory, “liberal” canard.(I fumigate the word liberal because it is actually a fascist’s trick to demean those who disagree with your position.) Shall I start listing the ways your media, CNN, et al have disgraced themselves? No time. Let’s just look at the research, for instance:

“Yale University’s Institution for Social and Policy Studies has published a research paper by researchers at Stanford and the University of Chicago on the subject of media bias. To no one’s great shock, they determine that on a number of important issues, most of the media is unrepresentative of everyday American political views–and … comes from a position that’s to the left of center.” (http://www.deanesmay.com/posts/1089661403.shtml)

From there we might ask why newspapers are going bankrupt (The Minn. Star Tribune is the latest); why the public holds only Congress in greater contempt than the media, why no one wants to listen to “liberal” radio (anyone remember Air America?) and on and on it goes …

21. Swk6
    January 16th, 2009 @ 5:51 pm

Why are newspapers going bankrupt??? Ummm, the internet????

22. Swk6
    January 16th, 2009 @ 6:12 pm

Besides, I don’t think the sight of 100,000 religious twats carrying signs is really going to change the mind of one person with an IQ over 50. But then again, it’s that under 50 IQ that has always been the faithfuls target audience.

23. Margaret Catherine
    January 17th, 2009 @ 12:19 am

“Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn’t misuse it.” -John Paul II

24. Nina
    January 17th, 2009 @ 3:18 am

Mainstream media no more reports on the “March for Life” than it does dozens of other annual events organized by various groups all around the country because it’s not a story.

Methinks some people need to acquaint themselves with what makes a story newsworthy before they whine about some big liberal conspiracy.

The March for Life has been EXACTLY the same every year since its inception. Unless something newsworthy happens at this year’s March for Life, no one is going to waste time or space on it over the actual newsworthy even that’s taking place about the same time.

Besides, as any honest Catholic parent knows, the thousands and thousands of attendees consist mostly of Catholic high school students who go with their schools because they either have no choice about the matter or because they get full credit for their community service requirement just by attending the one event for the one day.

So, unless some nutter opens fire and offs a few dozen people at the thing, or a plane incurs a bird strike, loses both engines, and has to body-surf the plane across the crowds as a result, it ain’t a story. Period.

25. UnspeakablyViolentJane
    January 17th, 2009 @ 5:26 am

Believe it or not, I will be at Mass this morning. If I’m not smited, I promise to check in around dinner to see if theists can be trusted.

26. Louise
    January 17th, 2009 @ 7:44 am

Knowing perfectly well that you have not been smited, UVJ, how was Mass?

27. Carla
    January 17th, 2009 @ 11:03 am

Nina,
    It’s not EXACTLY the same every year. Sometimes it rains. I gotta pack for The March for Life 2009.

28. Nina
    January 17th, 2009 @ 11:06 am

Nope. Exactly the same. Same signs and banners, same people, same suckass weather.

The only year it was different was when the powers that be at the March for Life organizing body banned gay and lesbian pro-lifers from participation.

Which pretty much says it all.

29. Carla
    January 17th, 2009 @ 11:09 am

Let’s meet up there and do something different!! :) I will gladly link arms with ANYONE who values life from conception to natural death. I feel badly that happened.
    The new Prez will most likely NOT be calling The March this year. That says a lot as well.

30. Nina
    January 17th, 2009 @ 11:14 am

Yes, it does, if that indeed turns out to be the case. But I didn’t vote for him, so it’s neither here nor there for me.

31. Carla
    January 17th, 2009 @ 12:08 pm

One more thing that will be different this year…I will be there! A very generous donor who knows my heart for women hurt by abortion, helped me out.

32. Margaret Catherine
    January 17th, 2009 @ 1:15 pm

UVJ – as to whether the theist in question can be trusted, you’ve probably got him in a catch-22.

33. Margaret Catherine
    January 17th, 2009 @ 1:17 pm

Carla – You may well end up linking arms, if you get swept up in the Latino priests’ conga line…it came right at us last year, there was no escape. :)

34. Carla
    January 17th, 2009 @ 2:12 pm

Oh yeah. I would be up up for that! LOL

35. Carla
    January 17th, 2009 @ 3:25 pm

One up will suffice.

36. UnspeakablyViolentJane
    January 18th, 2009 @ 10:18 am

#26 Louise, they had a very nice choir – best I’ve ever heard, and the Sermon was entertaining, but the church is so steeped in ritual that they don’t leave their parishioners any room for real reflection.

It’s no wonder so many Catholics show up at the Zen Center.

#32 Margaret Catherine,if he wanted only theists, he should have said. My translation requisition will present him with a choice. As in real life there will be a easier blasphemous option, and a slightly more challenging pious option. I’m not going to say more until his Nibs honors his original rules and announces a winner.

You would think someone with God as a bff would be more courageous.

37. Margaret Catherine
    January 18th, 2009 @ 11:14 am

UVJ, I’m looking forward to what you propose and he comes up with, actually. :) (I realized too late how my comment sounded, and sorry.)

38. Louise
    January 18th, 2009 @ 9:51 pm

UVJ, I must say that I have never understood such remarks. For one thing I have never known enyone who left Catholicism to go for Zen Buddhism. They almost always become standard Western secularists and typically seem ore interested in being indoctrinated by the TV than spending time reflecting on anything.

Secondly, when I am at Mass, I find it much esier to focus on God (which is why I’m there) and even to reflect on what I’m hearing in the readings and prayers etc through the ritual, which if it is done well, aids a deeper experience, rather than hinders it. I would not expect a non-Catholic or non-practicing Catholic to be able to see how that can be so, given that the Mass is not necessarily going to do the same for them.

I mean, if a person doesn’t believe in God at all, she might like some of the aspects of the Mass (eg the choir), but not be able to experience the ritual as something which leads to the worship of God and hence an experience of God.

39. кyкyшка
    May 28th, 2009 @ 7:12 am

На Ваш сайт знакомый в аську ссылку кинул. Оказалось ,что не зря :) Понравилось. Тепрь постоянно читать буду :)