D.A.P.P.E.R.

September 4, 2007 | 8 Comments

Bradley Thomas Horton, Founder and President of D.A.P.P.E.R., a new advocacy for the differently abled, has given me permission to post the e-mail he sent me this morning:

Hello, I am Bradley and I am disabled. This is from the brain tumor I had at 13 years of age. I have been fighting my health problems, most of my life. I am about to have my 40th birthday. I am trying to speak out, like never before and get people to realize that god is a myth and we need to work to help each other, in real ways, now.

All of my readers, atheist, theist and in between, are encouraged to leave comments offering Mr. Horton their insights and advice regarding his mission.

Comments

8 Responses to “D.A.P.P.E.R.”

1. PhalsePhrophet
    September 4th, 2007 @ 3:32 pm

Other than some grammatical errors and lack of material at D.A.P.P.E.R.’s website, my only advise is to have two separate websites, one site for the differently abled and one site for the Atheism. TRA has shown us how commingling Atheism with any other topic on the same site can negatively impact them both.

2. Erm
    September 5th, 2007 @ 6:24 am

Speaking of grammatical errors… I think you mean “advice”.

3. Charlene
    September 6th, 2007 @ 12:03 am

Actually, that would technically be a spelling error. Grammar relates to the rules governing usage of a language.
    Heh.

4. Charlene
    September 6th, 2007 @ 12:03 am

Heh.

5. Del
    September 6th, 2007 @ 9:36 am

Mr. Horton,

The moral requirements of Christian, Islamic, and Buddhist believers DEMAND that we care for the poor, the disabled, the imprisoned, and so forth.

It was Christian enthusiasm, in the Middle Ages, that first INVENTED hospitals, universities, and religious movements dedicated to caring for the sick and the poor.

I can make a pretty strong case that our society’s modern lack of concern for the poor and disabled is related to the increase in secular opinions. People stopped caring for the poor and disabled out of enthusiasm for their faith… eventually, the government created programs to fill the void. But government programs haved never cared for the poor, orphaned, sick and disabled as well as a good medieval monastery did.

Mother Theresa’s nuns from India are setting up missions in AMERICA now! The richest country in the world cannot care for our own poor — because we have forgotten our roots in faith.

6. Kamikaze189
    September 7th, 2007 @ 1:52 pm

Point out the problems with their reasoning and the problems religious certainty and scientific knowledge, like nuclear weaponry, don’t mix well.

Also, go to http://www.ravingatheists.com and talk to the atheists there. This “Raving Atheist” you’ve emailed is no such raving atheist. Rather than tearing down the wall of respect guarding religion, he’d prefer to keep it up.

Good luck in reaching your goal.

7. RHF
    September 26th, 2007 @ 10:06 pm

God is not a myth. Don’t find out the hard way on judgement day.

8. Brandon
    December 9th, 2008 @ 10:28 pm

I hate to say it, but Del, its a bit ironic that you talk about Mother Theresa because even she had an almost unimaginable amount of doubts for the christian tradition especially in her later days.  This almost makes me think about if one of the most influential “leaders” or “figures” of the christian tradition is very doubtful of her religion, how can I be so sure that there is a God or that there is something else out there that knows me for who I am.  Even looking at what christians accomplished in the earlier days like starting hospitals, they are the ones who are denying scientists in the world the right to research stem cells which could help look at a cure for many diseases.