Lip Service

July 24, 2007 | 10 Comments

CNN selected an atheist as one of the YouTubers permitted to question the Democratic candidates last night. Should he fear that a Democratic administration would snub secular voters but “pay lip service to the extremely religious?” Literally understood, of course, the question asks whether the candidates intend to ignore believers as much as non-believers. CNN, regrettably, did not pick up on the misuse of “lip service,” aggravating matters by emblazoning the question across screen as if it made perfect sense. They even put “lip service” in quotes, seemingly to emphasize the audicity of favoring anybody with it. As you can see from the link, WashingtonPost.com also thinks it’s something closer to kissing than kissing off.

John Edwards and Barack Obama, who answered, probably knew better. (I know Hillary does, as she used the phrase correctly in this 2005 speech which coincidentally criticized the devout and the godless for giving lip service to religious liberty). But they didn’t correct the atheist, instead choosing to pay lip service to the question. I think it’s clear enough from their responses, though, that they’ll treat all faiths to the same lip service they pay their own.

Comments

10 Responses to “Lip Service”

1. L.B.
    July 24th, 2007 @ 9:22 pm

Er…. give them credit for consistency?

2. Aric Clark
    July 25th, 2007 @ 9:59 pm

Ugh. People are more and more illiterate everyday. It is something of a freudian slip, since these candidates do in fact pay lip service to people of virtually any constituency, religious or not.

3. Tom @Thoughtsic.com
    August 4th, 2007 @ 9:40 pm

I think it’s pretty obvious most Democrats outside of Obama are willing to say whatever makes them most popular at the time. And citizens who consider themselves Democrats are falling for it. Especially Hillary’s Bush-like comments about foreign policy. Disgusting. I think I put it pretty well in terms of what happened last night/later today in my blog post Democrats Take It in the Ass Again.

4. Jennifer
    August 7th, 2007 @ 4:25 pm

Especially Hillary’s Bush-like comments about foreign policy.

Legitimate voting is so last score in any case, I don’t really know why any of the politicians bother speaking to us at all.

5. Neil
    August 8th, 2007 @ 6:33 am

6. Jennifer
    August 8th, 2007 @ 6:58 pm

“Scott Adams of the Dilbert blog is the latest doofus to get on the theism train:”

How disappointing. He has forever dimmed his comic for me.

Incidentally RA. The forum is not the same without you to love/hate. I wish you would grow your fangs back and we could mush it all back together.

7. Wire
    August 20th, 2007 @ 2:27 am

Especially Hillary’s Bush-like comments about foreign policy.

8. Lance
    August 20th, 2007 @ 3:12 am

“You are a stupid deluded idiot.”

Your aggressive and ignorant insensitivity toward emaciated, jaundiced, bedridden people doesn’t make God real.

9. Realty
    August 21st, 2007 @ 11:58 pm

Yes, I also think I put it pretty well in terms of what happened last night/later today in my blog post Democrats Take It in the Ass Again.

10. wendaleaspoelstra