While We’re Waiting

October 27, 2006 | 18 Comments

In The End of Faith, Sam Harris notes that that there “seems to be a body of data attesting to the reality of psychic phenomena, much of which has been ignored by mainstream science.” While we’re waiting to straighten out the remaining server kinks, let’s conduct our own study. What do you predict the breakdown of the House of Representatives and Senate will be after the November elections? Currently, it stands as follows:

SENATE (100)

Republicans: 55
Democrats: 44
Independent: 1

HOUSE (435)

Republicans: 230
Democrats: 201
Independent: 1
Vacant: 3

Please post your predictions in the form “D49 R49 I2; D216 R216 I3.” I will supply the correct answers next week. If you wish, you may also predict the percentage increase/decrease in the atheist population after two years depending on the outcome (just place +2% or –10% after your Congressional prediction).

Comments

18 Responses to “While We’re Waiting”

1. Snakefish
    October 27th, 2006 @ 3:20 pm

I don’t see how the republicans can keep the house or senate with all these hot-button-issues rising.

Not only the war in Iraq fiasco, not only the ungodly deficit, but the democratic spin machine has been working over time lately. All these senators leaving in disgrace (even if they did do it, it coming out at such a key time is too coincidental).

2. Professor Chaos
    October 27th, 2006 @ 4:53 pm

D50 R49 I1

D220 R212 I3

3. Dr. BDH
    October 27th, 2006 @ 8:41 pm

I tried getting the Psychic Hotline’s help on this one, but I misdialled and got the Sidekick Hotline instead. Gabby Hays thinks the Democrats will take all the House and Senate seats.

4. myst7426
    October 28th, 2006 @ 1:37 pm

Senate: R50, D49, I1
    House: D235, R198, I2

5. The Pot
    October 28th, 2006 @ 3:51 pm

D50 R48 I2;

D217 R216 I2

6. JUST_ANOTHER_PRIMATE
    October 29th, 2006 @ 7:03 am

two day later …………….. just about the response this blog entry deserves – none !

7. Benjamin
    October 30th, 2006 @ 9:33 am

I predict that the vacant seats will be filled.
    That’s: V -3.
    You can quote me.

8. YAHWEH
    October 30th, 2006 @ 12:03 pm

D50 R49 I1
    D219 R214 I2

9. axolotl
    October 30th, 2006 @ 3:53 pm

Republican candidates win all seats by small margins …
    Democrats accuse Rethugs of stealing the election …
    Disgruntled populace takes to the streets in protest …
    Shrub declares martial law …
    All registered Democrats arrested and sent to “re-education” camps …
    George W. Bush crowned as King George I of “Amerika” 1/1/2007
    Amerika immediated delcares war on Canada and Mexico. G1 delcares them “havens for terrorists”
    Jesus returns to Earth, declares “That it!! I’ve had it with all you yahoos!!”, causes the Sun to go nova, wiping out all life on earth.
    The End

10. Cap'n Awesome
    October 30th, 2006 @ 5:33 pm

I think a lot of those predictions are ignoring how many seats are actually up for contention.

Sentate
    Republicans: 54
    Democrats:45
    Independent:1

House
    Republicans: 220
    Democrats:213
    Independents:2

(The other independant is just wishful thinking on my part, that Bob Smither will win in Texas)

11. HappyNat
    November 1st, 2006 @ 2:24 pm

I’ll take the Cowboys with the points.

12. Dollar
    November 1st, 2006 @ 5:47 pm

“The only way they could possibly keep any power is if the christians just blindly put in for republicans because they claim to be the party of god.”

Just for the record, the Republicans have not officially declared themselves the party of God, though many well-meaning Christians have offered them that designation. I agree that it would be a tragedy for Christians to “blindly” vote for these politicians. Christians must remember that our primary allegiance is to Christ, King of heaven and earth, not to a party, country, flag, or man.

13. athana
    November 1st, 2006 @ 7:47 pm

Senate D50 R50 I0
    House D219 R215 I1

UNLESS Rove pulls an “October Surprise” sometime soon, which I suspect might be an attack on Iran. This will be made to look as if Iran provoked the attack.

14. PIMP
    November 1st, 2006 @ 11:11 pm

FOOLS read what graham hancock has written, and then you will know.

15. Professor Chaos
    November 2nd, 2006 @ 8:24 am
  16. Snakefish
    November 3rd, 2006 @ 9:45 am

You can’t blame him, he’s got his head too far up Bush’s ass to care about ‘reality’.

17. Aaron Kinney
    November 3rd, 2006 @ 1:57 pm

A whole week and no posts? What gives?

18. Jody Tresidder
    November 3rd, 2006 @ 4:06 pm

Err, Everyone?

I think RA has just outed himself over at Dawn’s?
    I’ll stick this again in the comments of RA’s latest post….