Humoring You

July 1, 2006 | 20 Comments

The onomatopoeia wordplay in my previous post was unfunny and unsubtle, a reader has suggested. To this I would add it was unoriginal — not only in a general way, but also because the identical “joke” was employed in the post it criticized. None of this escaped me while I drafted it. I considered adding a line acknowledging my concern that readers would resent my resort to Highlights Magazine or “dad” humor as much as my perceived conversion. But I was too rushed to figure a way to squeeze in that thought without affecting the post’s flow or coherence. I decided to leave it out and address the issue if and when it surfaced in the comments — which I was fairly sure it would.

So I was sufficiently self-aware to anticipate the reaction to the “humor.” And, after a thousand-plus essays on atheism, to everything else. On reflex I could conjure up a post purporting to expose the deficiencies of the last. Daily I come across items on religion and my mind cycles, on autopilot, through every angle I might have pursued in critiquing them, were I now inclined to continue as before.

My heart is incapable of doing so. Whatever instinct drove me up until recently has vanished. Content yourself with the thought that if the objections to my words are so obvious then you hardly need me to articulate them. If it is the sarcasm you miss them perhaps the spectacle of self-flagellation I have planned for the coming weeks will provide an adequate emotional substitute. But I would no more go back to what I was than I would set fire to a little kitten.

Because I love little kittens. :)

Comments

20 Responses to “Humoring You”

1. Paul
    July 1st, 2006 @ 3:34 pm

RA, you should check yourself critically and not merely accept your recent change of heart as a fait accompli.

Are you sure you’re not taking things too seriously? When sarcasm disappears, that’s a real danger.

2. Snap Crafter
    July 1st, 2006 @ 3:50 pm

“But I would no more go back to what I was than I would set fire to a little kitten.”

And what, pray tell, is wrong with setting kittens on fire? Are you not aware that in the bible, and I’m quoting:

If ye loveth Jesus, then kill a kitten.

3. June
    July 1st, 2006 @ 4:58 pm

Blow it out your ass, TRA.

4. Abortion Hurts for a Lifetime
    July 1st, 2006 @ 6:03 pm

TRA, as a new reader, I am very appreciative of your intellectual analysis, civility, and respect for human life. Therefore, I would be interested in your observations on this blog which is debating “Is God Pro-life?”. Signed, Abortion Hurts for a Lifetime

5. The Raving Atheist
    July 1st, 2006 @ 6:55 pm

Dear A.H.F.A.L.:

Please e-mail me at ravingatheist@gmail.com.

6. Choobus
    July 1st, 2006 @ 9:04 pm

Special to yo’ mama

The unbearable tedium of my previous post was unfunny and unsubtle, it has been suggested. To this I would add it was unoriginal — not only in a general way, but also because the identical tedium is present in all of my recent posts. None of this escaped me while I drafted it. I considered adding a line acknowledging my concern that readers would resent my resort to a sermon like banality and “dad-wanker” humor as much as my conversion. But I was too religious to figure a way to squeeze in any thoughts without affecting my faith. I decided to leave reason out and address the issue of Jesus instead, which maskes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

So I was sufficiently self-aware to anticipate the reaction to the “passion.” And, after a thousand-plus essays on atheism, to everything else. On reflex I could conjure up a post purporting to expose the deficiencies of the Bible. Daily I come across items on religion and my mind closes, on theistic autopilot, avoiding every angle I might have pursued in critiquing them, were I now inclined to continue on as I did before my gayification.

My heart is incapable of doing so. Whatever intelligence drove me up until recently has vanished. Content yourself with the thought that if the objections to my words are so obvious, then you hardly Jesus to articulate them. If it is the sarcasm you miss them perhaps the spectacle of shit-sucking and dad-wanking I have planned for the coming weeks will provide an adequate emotional substitute. But I would no more go back to what I was than I would emerge from a coma.

Because I love the baby Jesus. :)

7. IvyLeagr
    July 1st, 2006 @ 9:44 pm

RA:
    Just tell us already!!! Do you love the Jeebus? Do your basic assumptions still apply or have you commited philosophical suicide? Just tell us the truth about your beliefs, weather they be reasonable or akin to childlike neurosis. As devoted readers, we deserve the honest to God’s truth. (haha)

8. The Lost Crow
    July 1st, 2006 @ 10:24 pm

TRA… you suck

9. Lurker
    July 2nd, 2006 @ 12:26 am

TRA has decided to be more kind to everyone and his followers think that’s a bad idea!?!? He’s a psycho, he’s incapable of reasoning properly, he sucks — so many of you say — just because he has decided to be more kind and more gracious. Huh??

10. Choobus
    July 2nd, 2006 @ 12:42 am

Lurker, your post is almost identical to one by Chris Treborn! That has got to burn my friend.

Burn like a chemical
    coming at ya,
    hurts so bad
    it feels like the rapture ,
    Now we know for real
    god surely is great
    I still wanna try anal
    is it too late?

Praise HIM
    booyaka

11. Thorngod
    July 2nd, 2006 @ 2:01 am

I’m not waiting for Godot, and I’m not waiting for RA. I’m curious, but I will not be moved!

12. Michael Bains
    July 2nd, 2006 @ 6:58 am

Choobus is BACK!

(I know. I know… Ya never left. That last comments’ section was just so boring I thought it needed spicin’ up somehow.)

Why do I get the feeling TRA really is still pullin’ the wool over some believers’ eyes..?

Regardless of how that plays out, the thing that I loved about this site was how Irreverant and Sarcastic and Ironic and Onomatopoaic it used to be. Even the Theistic commenters were too extreme to take seriously, so I had no problem being insulting and having fun with it. Does anyone remember Omni? But when he and I started getting cordial with each other, I admired the guy as a person, told him so, and started paying more attention to more serious – and less extremist – atheist and political blogs.

I don’t know what you’re up to RA, and I only care because I used to enjoy your intelligent use of parody. Yer still a really decent writer (though you could still use an editor for typos.. .) but I losing track of your purpose.

It really feels like you’re just setting up the xtians you invite here for a big smack down. While it’s an interesting intellectual experiment, THAT would be just too much humiliation for me to observe.

But I do like that you’re really leaving us all in the dark as to your real intentions with these shifts. It looks like you’re just having some personal ideological conundrum, and maybe that’s all it is. Have fun, boss. I really do hope your not going all Torqemada in your tactics, though. If you’re actually “finding religion”, well, again, have fun…

13. Some Guy
    July 2nd, 2006 @ 9:24 am

Are you having a mid-life crisis?

14. Tenspace
    July 2nd, 2006 @ 9:29 am

TRA’s in love! He had a change of heart… could be a new puppy, or woman (or man… don’t know his leanings). He has a newfound sense of respect for others which precludes his previous rigid, atheistic worldview.

I, for one, shall look forward to his new posts all coated in safe, fluffy marshmallows and limited to very safe speeds. He will be the doctor whose scalpel carves away his own cancers, hard lumps of words from the past that will remain on display as a reminder of how he used to be.

But I do wonder, in all seriousness, how comfortable his life must be for him to drop his guard completely. I would imagine that RA is surrounded by friends and a deep sense of safety. Is it because New York is now the friendliest big city? Does his change reflect an internal peace-of-mind he’s attained? RA, have you been sleeping in a bathtub full of fuzzy kittens? I know that calms me to no end.

15. Paul
    July 2nd, 2006 @ 5:06 pm

Yes, Ten, TRA’s in love, but we all know that the initial infatuation fades with time. What will TRA be like in a year? Patience, friends (unless TRA has really gone theist – then, all bets are off). But if you’re just looking for sarcasm, patience might work.

16. darwinfish
    July 2nd, 2006 @ 6:35 pm

remember, “love” can sometimes just be the three month dose of oxytocin. Don’t fuck shit up because of a hormone high.

17. Kate B.
    July 3rd, 2006 @ 8:26 am

RA–

I thought the onomatopoeia was funny.

18. Nightfly
    July 3rd, 2006 @ 9:12 am

If it’s a long set-up running to the smackdown, so be it. Only time will tell. Let the man work.

19. Paul
    July 3rd, 2006 @ 8:07 pm

Yeah, Nightfly, but if you wait too long for the punchline, the joke has been over long ago. Timing is everything. We’ll see, right?

20. Thorngod
    July 5th, 2006 @ 1:03 am

RA, I’m humored. You’re one of my good humor men. Just one of; I have many–the number totaling every human I know and meet–including even myself. I wish you well–sincerely. If you are unwell, I cannot pray for you, but I will hope. Hope isn’t any more effective than prayer, but it’s more honest and more human. Honesty is the best policy, you know. And openness is right next door. (Or, as I sometimes put it, openliness is next to honestliness.) A lot of blokes who blow off here seem to know you. They certainly know you better than I do. But I know you, pal. You’re just me “otherly enabled” as the sensitively incorrect now somtimes refer to the mentally or physically defective–not that I’m using that misbegotten metaphor in that direction; I simply mean that we’re both prescient, inquiring, caring and vulnerable primate organisms who’re genetically,morphologically, intellectually and psychologically very similar, but with accidental differences. So I really do know what you are, pal, even if I don’t exactly know who. Life has pampered me so far (for the most part), but I’m not blind and dumb. I wouldn’t wish this shithole on Lucifer and his hellhounds. Why is it that he and Beelzebub and all those other fiends get to have so much fun while you and I have had to claw our way out of the muck across a million years or so and still have to compete against our brothers for our ration of bread and beans and tear our hair out over the artificial subtleties of theology–and with all that still can’t get enough pussy? Man! Whatever your plight, I can empathise. So hang in there, man. Shit; there isn’t anywhere else to hang!