Yours Forever

June 26, 2006 | 20 Comments

Questions have arisen regarding the fate of this site’s Forums, as well as the potential for speech restrictions there or in the comments section to the main blog.

This site shall always be dedicated to the relentless pursuit of the truth, wherever it may lead. Despite concerns I have expressed elsewhere, I have never and shall never ban commentors or delete or edit their input. The only restrictions on speech will be those I impose upon myself.

You also have my irrevocable promise that I shall never close the Forums. As it stands, they are in the control of the site administrator, Chris Michaud, and even were I inclined to shutter them I would have no idea of how to go about it. Beyond this, I hereby authorize her to take all measures necessary to insure that they forever remain beyond my control or interference.

Finally, I would like to take this opportunity to again thank Chris for her invaluable efforts in maintaining and improving this site for the past three years. It would not exist today but for her initiative and expertise. We originally met after I mentioned her in this post, at a time when the site looked like this. Shortly thereafter she offered her services to overhaul the blog, add functioning comments, and convert it to Moveable Type. The Forums, together with its chatroom and others features, were completely proposed, designed and created by her.

She deserves your appreciation and I hope you will express it in the comments.

Comments

20 Responses to “Yours Forever”

1. Sarah
    June 26th, 2006 @ 8:21 pm

Thanks Chris,

You run a great forum, I will continue to visit. It is difficult to admin a forum at times, but we must keep free speech alive. Keep up the good work!

Sarah

SubversiveMinds RANT

2. With 10% More Blasphemy..
    June 26th, 2006 @ 8:27 pm

Chris,
    Major props up in the hizzy for your diligence on this forum. It’s a beauty, and we all love it here. Thanks for your hard work, it is greatly appreciated.

3. Adam
    June 26th, 2006 @ 9:15 pm

I first stumbled upon The Raving Atheist’s blog about two years ago, and since then, I am reasonably certain that I have never missed reading a post. His unapologetic willingness to state publicly exactly what he believed hooked me from the beginning and kept me a devoted fan, even as I began to perceive a gradual decline in the thoroughness of his reasoning. While his pro-life sympathies came as a suprise to me, I was eager to see what thought-provoking directions he could take the blog in regard to them. Never did I imagine that he would resort to weak, anecdotal agruments that completely skirted many major issues in the debate. Yet nothing can compare to the shock and disappointment Friday’s announcement provoked in me.

Reading his promise to “never write another bad word about Jesus or Christianity on The Raving Atheist” immediately brought me back to my first months as a visitor at his blog, specifically his wonderful posts in support of the premises of Sam Harris’s book The End of Faith. Was this really the same person who referred to Harris’s plea that we “‘stop listening’ to the faithful and stop pussyfooting around pretending to respect beliefs that are patently absurd” as a “reasonable proposal” (Aug 4, 2004)? Read his attack on apatheism posted on May 27, 2003. He states that he would become an apatheist only “when the legislatures repeal religiously-sanctioned child abuse laws, religious exemptions from narcotics laws, anti-gay sodomy statutes and religious tax exemptions.” And now he’s giving Christianity a free pass because some shithead Objectivist called him crazy? What have these past two years done to this great determination and resolve?

RA, maybe you haven’t realized it yet, but you’ve already broken your vow. You broke it even as you posted it and with every word you’ve posted since. Maybe the Siren-like call of Christianity has lulled you into forgetting your basic assumptions, but there are some of us who still haven’t. Remember how your very first post promised that “behind any pronouncements made in this blog” was the basic assumption that “there is no God”? Your committment to silence carries with it this committment to disbelief and will continue to back itself with this until you alter your basic asumptions. Maybe you’ve built a permanent home in bed with your Christian buddies, but will you at least throw the atheists among us who have faithfully read your raving and admired your wit and intelligence one small bone? Will you at least give us some honesty? If you truly consider a definite statement of disbelief to betray your promise, will you alter your basic assumptions, the very principles you were once willing to defend so strongly, and let us know exactly what we can expect out of you?

The Raving Atheist is the only blog I have ever seriously followed, and I have no plans to cease my readership of it, if only to see exactly how far the mighty can fall. However, I have realized that I can no longer make it my only source for atheism-related information and commentary, as it has become woefully lacking in its completeness. Can anyone suggest any other blogs similar in content and quality to what this site once was? In fact, I challenge any atheist devoted to spreading information about their worldview to start their own blog. Then, the result of this turn of events at The Raving Atheist will be only even more resources available for discussion, debate, and information about godlessness. I myself am seriously considering this, and any information anyone can give to assist myself or anyone else in a venture such as this would be greatly appreciated.

4. Thorngod
    June 26th, 2006 @ 9:30 pm

Thanks, Chris!

Well put, Adam. And best wishes on your endeavor.

5. Interested Atheist
    June 26th, 2006 @ 9:48 pm

Hmmm, not sure what to make of this.
    I’d just like to say to RA that I’ve always enjoyed reading his blog and am very grateful to him for it and the forums.

6. Eva, Mod.
    June 26th, 2006 @ 9:59 pm

Thanks, Chris. I will continue to support you in any way posible.

Thanks, RA, this really helps.
    Leave you with this, from Mencken:

We must respect the other fellow’s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart.
    H. L. Mencken

7. Choobus
    June 26th, 2006 @ 9:59 pm

Since RA vowed to never again malign Christ Christianity, and by implication Christians some of us on the forums have acted to take up the slack. While we may not possess the subtle wit of RA, nor the good sense not to overuse profantities (and thereby render them devoid of all but the remnants of their original fucking power) we do hold firm in our contempt for Christianity, and many of those who practise this peculiar form of zombie worshipping. Since this is where the gaping hole that was the one true RA is to be found, so too do I bring you word from the forums, in the form of a rant. I can assure you, there will be many more (assuming the promise not to muzzle us is kept).

Jesus: the man, the teacher, the shitsucking dad wanker! There are only a few viable options for this cunt we call Jesus (even though that was almost certainly not his real name, but rather a title, deriving from the Hebrew Jeay’ zaus: meaning “he who smokes the pole”.

Option 1: He never existed at all and is really just an amalgamation of various other legends and histroical figures (various pagan gods, Julius Caesar, Hong Kong Phooey and so on).

Option 2: He did exist but was simply a man who hated the Roman occupation of his homeland and took advantage of various biblical prophecies to portray himself as a “messiah” in order to encourage the people to rise up in a revolution.

Option 3: He is the son of god and, if you let him, your own personal saviour and path to salvation, who died for our sins. (well, sort of died, but not really, but it probably still hurt, a bit, at first).

No matter which of these options is correct, the various Christian churches that sprang up in the centuries after big J fucked off have almost nothing to do with the man himself. They are clearly arbitrary self-serving power-hungry child-buggering cesspools of hypocrisy that embody the very worst aspects of humanity. Moreover, these despicable miscreants have the impertinence to dress this malicious skulduggery in phoney morality, resulting in an irony so vile as to make death and oblivion a welcome end to life. All preachers are lying shitsuckers who are either straight up evil, or are totally amoral and do not care one bit for the idiots whose lives they corrupt, and the inevitable decay this creates in humanity in general. Anyone who claims to know the one and only TROOF and tells others how to live their lives is a lying fucktard with a penchant for fraudulent hyperbole. The pope, in addition to being an ex nazi (and most likely a sith lord) is by virtue of his dogmatic stance on contraception a mass murderer. His organization is therefore no different to the Mafia. They run extortion rackets all over the world, they have Capo Bastone’s (Cardinals), Caporegime’s (Bishops) Sgarrista’s (priests) and Piciotto’s (parishioners). This is a criminal organization that deals in blackmail, money laundering, child molestation and murder for profit. They are to scum as scum are to men of honour. Fuck them all, and double fuck the pope and his cheese slurping Swiss guards/gimps. I spit on Christianity and all it stands for. I shit on every page of the bible and I smear this shitstained book in the face of every single dog wanking godidiot mother fucker who has the nerve to tell me that a 2000 year old dead Jewish guy gives a shit about anything the gentiles do. Allah may be a fucking towel head sand monkey, but at least the assholes who love Islam are honest. They will blow you up because they believe in their delusions 100%. Christian hypocrisy is rampant. They whine endlessly about being oppressed, but never by their actions can one recognize them as people of faith. None of the injunctions called forth by Jesus himself in that special book of theirs (a.k.a the buy-bull) seem to have any bearing on their way of life. The Christian way seems to be based on an unspoken trinity: Greed, hypocrisy, denial. Amen. Amen indeed you fucking cunts. Fuck you all. I almost wish there was a hell so that you could all rot in it like you deserve you demented shitsucking goat-raping bullshit-spreading god-wankers.

8. Tenspace
    June 26th, 2006 @ 10:00 pm

Thanks for addressing this, RA. Everyone at the forums appreciates your support. You should drop in for a visit some time.

Tenspace

9. Tenspace
    June 26th, 2006 @ 10:02 pm

Chris… I didn’t forget you. :) Thanks for handling the BS that goes above the moderators’ heads. I know you manage more than just this forum, and everyone here appreciates the effort.

10. June
    June 26th, 2006 @ 11:08 pm

I’m with Adam (#3) on this.
    TRA has been a valuable guide and teacher.
    CHRIS has been the wind beneath his wings.
    Both deserve sincere thanks.

But it will be a while before I give up on TRA.
    It’s his blog, and I plan to see where it goes next.

Quo Vadis, Domine?

11. Choobus
    June 26th, 2006 @ 11:55 pm

wind beneath his wings.?

Jeeezus fucking H Chryst.

the barf above my bowl

the shit beneath my sphincter

the crap within my colon

all of these are a gift from God.

Fuck Jeebus.

12. Joe
    June 27th, 2006 @ 1:15 am

Yes, Keep things real, don’t censor things. That’s what keeps me coming back.

13. choobus
    June 27th, 2006 @ 3:47 am

by the way, the preceeding was not meant to denigrate Chris in any way. It was merely a sickened reaction to that particularly heinous cliche.

Chris, you’re doing a heck of a job…..

14. a different tim
    June 27th, 2006 @ 3:55 am

Nice rant, Choobs. You going for rant of the week?

Nice forums, Chris.

Have to disagree that saying God does not exist maligns Christianity, RA. Telling someone that you think they’re mistaken is not in itself, and should not be, an insult. The idea that we shouldn’t disagree with someone for fear of offence is one of the most pernicious notions of recent years. If you think someone’s wrong, say so.
    I’m not sure it makes sense to malign an idea, like Christianity, anyway. You can malign a person or organisation. You can argue against, disagree with, or question an idea. The two things are not the same.

If we want to insult xtians or any given church or religious group, we usually are a little more direct.

15. FJ
    June 27th, 2006 @ 6:29 am

then falls caesar.

16. sdanielmorgan
    June 27th, 2006 @ 6:53 am

Adam said:

Good questions.

After reading both Tremblay and TRA for some time now, I must say that the little “spats” they’ve had are petty, and don’t seem to substantiate this kind of reaction. Francois, Objectivist-in-denial that he is (he owns, pays for, and writes extensively on, his websites and seminars on Objectivism, but claims that he isn’t an Objectivist?? De Nile ain’t just a river, ya know?), has gone off before on indirect insults [disagreeing with something he believes, rather than him personally] with personal attacks on the RA, EA, Uncredible Hallquist, myself, etc. He can be a fuckstick at times. That said, I read all of his stuff on GTA, especially on Xianity and its attendant moral bankruptcy, because it’s pretty well-thought-out. His reactions may tar my perception of his character, but his writing still merits my attention.

I would think TRA would know better than to bow to some kind of “peer pressure”. I don’t think that’s the case here with Tremblay. I think TRA knows a thin-skinned Canadian when he sees one, and that Tremblay isn’t important enough to TRA to merit this sort of apparent breakdown. I just don’t know what in the fuck is. I hope it isn’t Jeebus.

17. Damien
    June 27th, 2006 @ 8:38 am

Adam: I don’t know about atheist blogs, but you might check naturalism.org, which I think has a blog attached. It’s atheist, but the site is defined more as for naturalism rather than against god, I think. It takes on the soul, and contra-causal free will, as well.

18. Damien
    June 27th, 2006 @ 8:45 am

Of course, there’s that list of Blogs by Atheists on the sidebar of this site…

19. HomoCyclist
    June 27th, 2006 @ 12:28 pm

Raving Atheist,
    The only thing I want to tell you is THANKS.
    Thank you for having such a nice forum for us who dislike Christianity and for allowing the ranting and the insults against religious people.
    I have to tell you something very important to ME:
    Since I’ve been posting here, ranting and insulting Christianity and some fundies that dare to post on your forum, I feel much better! Actually, your forum has saved me from INSANITY!
    Thank you again, and thank you Chris for putting this forum all together.
    And I want to thank ALSO our moderators: TENSPACE AND EVA; they have been very nice to all of us.
    Good luck to you RA and keep the good work!

20. Thorngod
    June 27th, 2006 @ 5:18 pm

Insanity, H-C? Share more!