Good Day!

April 28, 2006 | 27 Comments

Reader James Jacobsen writes:

I think you’re talking your way into intellectual suicide. To ignore the obvious and rant on about everything under the sun and deny the simple understanding of Salvation Through Christ is ludicrous. You can’t know everything and the most arrogant atheist of my lifetime, Prof. Anthony Flew, finally has humbled himself. Jesus said, “no one can come to the Father except through me.” Believe or not is your choice, but He did not leave you an option. Jesus said, “I am the way, truth and light.” Simply put, your way is a path of deception and conceit. Dawkins said Christians fear death. Nonsense! We love LIFE! Eternal life is offered if you humble yourself and receive Christ as your Savior. That simple. I don’t mean to offend you, but I can’t stand to see ranting atheist propaganda distort the simple Gospel about the Lord. The gospel is simple. Jesus will save YOU from your sins. But you must admit you are a sinner and need a Saviour. Science? Try me. I love science as long as it’s good science. Not dogmatic opium from the neo-darwinist. I know where atheist thought is contrived from. The self-righteous mind. I know, I was one. ……….No need to email me back. Unless you concede that what Christ offers is hope beyond the grave. Hope so. Good day……..

I deeply admire Mr. Jacobsen’s argumentative strategy. He (1) clearly states his thesis, (2) supports it with direct quotes from a primary authority, (3) points out the errors and/or capitulation of other authorities, (4) addresses the relevant scientific arguments, (5) demonstrates that he knows where we’re coming from, (6) conditions further discussion on a simple concession, and (7) ends on a civil note. If only more atheists would emulate his calm, methodical style.

Comments

27 Responses to “Good Day!”

1. snap crafter
    April 28th, 2006 @ 4:25 pm

I love how he says “Don’t talk back to me, I have to have the last word; unless of course your gonna say ‘s’rry, may it please ya big-big'”

And somehow, I ‘serial’ doubt he was ever an atheist.

2. suttsteve
    April 28th, 2006 @ 7:21 pm

Just another victim of religious dogma. Pay him no mind.

3. TheSnake
    April 28th, 2006 @ 7:40 pm

RA, you aren’t serious, are you?

4. Mister Swill
    April 28th, 2006 @ 8:07 pm

The layers of self-referencial irony are making my head explode!

5. Mookie
    April 28th, 2006 @ 11:11 pm

One does not become an atheist and then “convert” to the belief in the supernatural. Especially not as deep as this guy has.

6. Grotesqueticle
    April 29th, 2006 @ 12:35 am

Believe or not is your choice, but He did not leave you an option.

This doesn’t begin to make sense on so many levels. “the colors children, the colors, mahey!”

7. john
    April 29th, 2006 @ 1:21 am

You are possibly being sarcastic in this case, but I do agree that atheists would be better served, overall, by dropping the “angry” posture.

The only time to show anger is when our rights are clearly trampled on, and they aren’t by things that we often let ourselves get caught up in; i.e. public displays of faith. Really, we have much bigger fish to fry.

I think one of the greatest compliments I receive (and I have gotten it several times in my life) is something that goes along these lines – “John, I was really SHOCKED to find out you are an atheist. You are one of the nicest guys I know. You have a better heart than most of my fellow Christians”. Now THAT means I’m making a statement for us, a lot more than winning a law suit to keep a nativity sceen off my local community streets at Christmas time ever would.

8. June
    April 29th, 2006 @ 7:40 am

John, the problem with always being nice is that it permits a handful of bad guys to control a minority, a race, or a country.

Unpleasant as it is, even forceful and violent and illegal resistance may be necessary to keep nonsense in its place and prevent its growth into outright evil.

9. Dada Saves
    April 29th, 2006 @ 9:22 am

Where can I get me some of this ‘dogmatic opium’ ?

10. corsair the rational pirate
    April 29th, 2006 @ 10:59 am

Of course this deluded individual started out as an atheist… Everyone does! Until their equally deluded parents force religion down their throats on Friday, Saturday or Sunday mornings.

Kids believe nothing and anything. Just like this guy.

11. myst7426
    April 29th, 2006 @ 12:21 pm

“Unless you concede that what Christ offers is hope beyond the grave.”

It is true that Christ offers hope beyond the grave, so you can acknowledge it and respond. However, it is just a story. Too bad.

12. flewdoesntfly
    April 29th, 2006 @ 2:15 pm

you can also acknowledge that some guys sell snake oil.

13. myst7426
    April 29th, 2006 @ 3:36 pm

Don’t forget to acknowledge that Muhammad’s divine revelation from God offers hope beyond the grave.

14. Mia
    April 29th, 2006 @ 3:55 pm

no one can be an atheist or theist without first searching for themselves what is the truth; usually when parents shove religion down kids’ throats that leads them to believe that their parents are overly-controlling and don’t trust them to live their own lives, which usually leads to children becoming atheists.

15. myst7426
    April 29th, 2006 @ 4:18 pm

Whatever Mia, I am an example which is evidence for your antithesis.

16. Chris Treborn
    April 29th, 2006 @ 7:03 pm

finally, a voice of reason in all the white noise. Congratulations Mr.Jacobsen. I expect in the usual manner of this place you will bew insulted and attacked, but I for one think you have made a statement that even the most angry atheist will have trouble refuting, which is why they won’t try.

17. tholin
    April 30th, 2006 @ 1:05 am

Thanks so much James, for your compelling, thought-provoking post. I was still revelling in your masterful arrangement of compulsory catchphrases (arrogant atheist/ranting atheist/dogmatic opium/self-righteous) when I recognized your conceptual feat of optionless choices! Kudos to the Master, JJ!

I felt as if I were walking in your shoes as you fleshed out the arduous, contemplative journey from atheist to James the Just/Saved.

Now, about that colorful Professor Flew….

18. Rob
    April 30th, 2006 @ 2:55 am

“To ignore the obvious and rant on about everything under the sun and deny the simple understanding of Salvation Through Christ is ludicrous.”/”I know where atheist thought is contrived from. I know, I was one.”

Chris, if this is your idea of a voice of reason, you’re going to flunk your logic classes.

19. Rowan
    April 30th, 2006 @ 4:02 am

Reading what he says about Professor Flew, you might get the mistaken impression that he has become a Christian. Christians must be very happy to find a case – the first I’ve heard of – of a serious atheist becoming a theist.

Of course, it does spoil it a bit when you learn that Flew became a deist, which means he doesn’t believe in an intervening God, the divinity of Jesus or an afterlife.

20. Lew May
    April 30th, 2006 @ 7:12 am

Normal, normal…rather than discuss in todays thinking, attacks against modern thought always come from a fundamental base.
    These attacks should be set aside as wimpy rhetoric. They do not engage with our 21st century mind.

21. Facehammer
    April 30th, 2006 @ 5:48 pm

“Nonsense! We don’t fear death! We’re just willing to grovel to the gods to avoid it!”

Hey Chris, how does it feel to go against people who have faced your darkest fear and stared it down? And how are you coping with your lack of hands?

22. Facehammer
    April 30th, 2006 @ 5:55 pm

Oh yeah, and one more thing:

“I don’t mean to offend you, but I hope you fucking die you cock juggling thunder cunt.”

And he has the balls to call us self-righteous. So far, his statement hasn’t proved very difficult to refute. And I haven’t even told you to fuck off yet.

23. Chris Treborn
    May 1st, 2006 @ 5:04 am

facehammer, the voice of nothing. Thanks for proving me right, again. I knew you would fail to address the logic. Sad loser, try again.

24. Facehammer
    May 1st, 2006 @ 7:15 am

What logic? That the existence of god is “obvious”? That people are capable of changing beliefs? “Believe it or not is your choice, but he did not leave you an option”? Science is great, as long as it doesn’t contradict the bible? And what others have already addressed, of course.

What logic is there here to address? There’s a sprinkle of new bullshit, but it’s largely the same old crap that’s been refuted a million times before. How very christian.

I guess this means you emerge triumphant once more. What is it going to take to make you think for yourself? Were you brain-damaged in that horrible accident that cost you your hands?

25. JUST_ANOTHER_PRIMATE
    May 1st, 2006 @ 7:35 am

RA says: If only more atheists would emulate his calm, methodical style.

I can’t wait for RA to critique Rabbi Marc Gelman’s latest Newseek article about his not understanding why “Atheists can be so angry”.

Woohooo go for it RA !

26. Choobus
    May 1st, 2006 @ 2:14 pm

Chris treborn, you are a cockmunching assmonkey, and you are not fit to lick the salty sweat from facehammer’s oversized ballsack. I challenge you to make one single statement that makes sense. You tosser.

27. bernarda
    May 2nd, 2006 @ 4:13 pm

“an angry posture”. I have tried using humor and irony on christians but that doesn’t work at all. James baby is obviously quite angry and clearly disturbed. Sometimes maybe atheists need to use tough love on such cases.

James “I know where atheist thought is contrived from. The self-righteous mind.”

What he really means is Satan, not self-righeous mind. The “self-righteous” clearly means his own ideas in his own post.

He seems to be demented, but also to have a glimmer of perception, which may be a cry for help.