Sky Gods

February 25, 2006 | 6 Comments

We are up in the sky. In your religion and all the religions, as far as I know (and I know everything), the sky is made the symbol of everything that is sacred and merciful. Well, now you are in the sky, you know better . . . You know that since our science has spoken, the bottom has fallen out of the Universe.

Professor Lucifer, speaking from a spaceship in The Ball and the Cross (G.K. Chesterton), 1909.

I don’t see any God up here.

Soviet cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin, speaking from a spaceship, 1961.

I’m not sure which is funnier: that Chesterton felt compelled to anticipate it, or that Gargarin felt compelled to say it.

Comments

6 Responses to “Sky Gods”

1. Mister Swill
    February 26th, 2006 @ 2:46 pm

There was already precedence for that in 1909. Hadn’t we been to the top of Mt. Olympus and found no Zeus ‘n posse?

2. The Raving Atheist
    February 26th, 2006 @ 3:31 pm

I was actually going to make the Olympus/Zeus analogy but couldn’t find out when it was first scaled. Do you have a link for that 1909 precedent?

3. Mister Swill
    February 26th, 2006 @ 4:03 pm

Actually, no. Come to think of it, I don’t even know for a fact that Mt. Olympus had been scaled by 1909 (the year you give for “The Ball and the Cross”). I was making a wild assed assumption and attempting to weasel out of it by phrasing my second sentence as a question. Please forgive me. ;-)

4. Tiger
    February 26th, 2006 @ 9:21 pm
  5. Jason Malloy
    February 26th, 2006 @ 9:35 pm

I’m just surprised God didn’t fear Russia’s cosmonipotence and break them up into hundreds of languages before they could figure out his shameful polythestic secret:

“But the LORD came down to see the city and the tower that the men were building. The LORD said, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. 7 Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other.””

Is this also why he sent the holy hijackers to take down the Twin Towers?

6. Mister Swill
    February 26th, 2006 @ 10:35 pm

Well, okay. I did a little web searching and most of the info I can find says the first recorded ascent to the highest peak (Mytikas) of the tallest Mt. Olympus in Greece (there are several Greek mountains with that name) happened in 1913. It was accomplished by a couple of Swiss Gentleman named Daniel Baud-Bovy and Prederic Boissonas, along with their local Greek guide, Christos Kakalos. The presence of the guide has led a few of the people who wrote these online articles to speculate that the locals had been climbing Mt. Olympus for years before, but even if that is so, I’m sure G. K. Chesterton would not have known about it. My bad.

One of the articles in question also alleges that some historians believe that Mt. Olympus originally was an idealized mountain and only later came to be associated with an actual geographic peak. It’s interesting to think about how historians will interpret Christian mythology 2500 years from now. Of course, around that time, most people will no doubt be spending their energy debating the relative merits of the world’s two dominant religions: Scientology and the Ramtha School of Enlightenment.

P.S. Tiger, your link is to info about the ascent of Mt. Olympus in Washington State, USA.