Mixing It Up

February 20, 2006 | 21 Comments

Maybe Frank The Financially Savvy Atheist has the right idea. Although his blog is also a mixed-concept one, he’s chosen his subjects wisely. He doesn’t get routinely savaged, like me, by readers offended by an incompatible and combustible combination of topics.

Atheism and abortion are like oil and vinegar, except you can’t even put them on salad. The contentiousness of it all is beginning to wear me down. Perhaps I could end the acrimony by following Frank’s lead and dropping the polarizing subject. But what would I call the new blog? The Anti-Choice, Anti-Abortion Accountant? The Unaborted Stockbroker? The Raving Pro-Life Financier? Suggestions welcome!

Comments

21 Responses to “Mixing It Up”

February 20th, 2006 @ 8:21 pm

RA:

I wish you’d quit playing on the dark side. Just think of the benefits– you could have a completely good natured thread going just like one I am sure you remember– not a loon or cuckoo to be found. But since you are an adult in full possession of your wits, I accept your decision. So in that ecumenical spirit how about the following names, which would warn people to expect the unexpected and allow you to post what ever you want and ignore complainers who have been warned:

The Unexpected Atheist

The Unpredictable Atheist

The Heteromorphic Atheist

Outside the Box

The Raving Atheistic Patriarchal Oppressor (my personal favorite)

I’ve got lots more, if you need more help deciding.

2. Interested Atheist
    February 20th, 2006 @ 8:41 pm

Well, it’s your website and it’s a really great one, so do what you like with it. Thanks a lot for putting it out here for all of us.

For what it’s worth, the name “Raving Atheist” is the only part of the website I don’t really like. Well, that’s not true, I like half of the name. It’s just if you use an argument and someone asks you where you got it, it makes you sound a bit silly.

As for abortion…well, I’m not sure where I stand myself because I’ve never really looked into it. But I think you should have the courage of your convictions. After all, how many atheists are there who are anti-abortion, or vice-versa?

All the best!

3. Interested Atheist
    February 20th, 2006 @ 8:44 pm

How about “The Radical Atheist”?
    Or “The Atheist Who Knows What He’s Talking About”?

Or even…”The Reasonable Atheist”?

Whatever, whether or not you choose a new name we’ll all still know that atheism=common sense and believing in imaginary friends is silly.

4. Viole
    February 20th, 2006 @ 8:58 pm

This is actually a pretty funny post, and I’m surprised you both seem to have missed it. None of RA’s suggested new names include the word atheist. Saying that he should drop the polarizing subject, RA is suggesting that he drop atheism entirely and become an anti-choice blog.

It’s the occasional post like this that keeps me around.

February 20th, 2006 @ 9:18 pm

Yes, you are right, Viole. Big whew! RA is sticking to the important stuff.

Still, I gotta start reading more carefully, instead of stuffing my dinner in my mouth with one hand, while shooing away the cat with the other.

6. Eva, Mod.
    February 20th, 2006 @ 9:41 pm

i also got it right away, viole…
    however, if he were to drop the “atheist” part of the title, i don’t think i would show up here as frequently…
    however, i feel that people that can’t walk and chew gum at the same time are going to have a blast here, if the change TRA is threathening us with were to turn into a reality…
    i also feel that the quality of the poster would plummet to single digit IQ’s….i’m thinking about those readers that have unicorn and rainbow art on the walls, and clouds and clowns in their bed sheets…(or the other way around)….

7. the talking dog
    February 20th, 2006 @ 11:26 pm

Perhaps you might think about that phrase a bit… the cannibal atheist? That’ll get traffic…

8. SBW
    February 20th, 2006 @ 11:37 pm

////Atheism and abortion are like oil and vinegar, except you can’t even put them on salad.///

That statement is too funny.

///He doesn’t get routinely savaged, like me, by readers offended by an incompatible and combustible combination of topics.///

This is the best thing about your blog. It keeps them angry and constantly coming back for more.

9. William
    February 21st, 2006 @ 2:18 am

Keep it lively and keep the name!!!

Interested Atheist said:
    > How about “The Radical Atheist”?

Hey that’s mine!

10. MH
    February 21st, 2006 @ 4:11 am

I just skip the abortion posts. I wonder if there’s anyone who just skips the atheism ones?

11. franky
    February 21st, 2006 @ 6:42 am

Wow! Thanks for the linkage RA! I’ll take the publicity from a blog like yours :)

12. Dom

3) Chronicling the Embryonic

14. Kate
    February 21st, 2006 @ 1:35 pm

I like 2: The BA-AD League

15. Choobus
    February 21st, 2006 @ 2:28 pm

RA, you are wrong about one thing. You actually can put abortion on your salad. It’s kind of rank, and may be illegal but it can be done. (I have it on poor authority that Pope Benedict likes to start the day with an abortion smoothie, especially after a long night wrestling with the swiss guards’ oil brigade).

16. Mister Swill
    February 21st, 2006 @ 2:40 pm

How about “The Guy Who Strongly Disbelieves in God Yet Inexplicably Believes He Has Stumbled Onto the Absolutely Correct Moral System Which Somehow Includes Human Life Having 100% of its Sacred Value From the Very Moment That Two Gametes Combine and Absolutely No Value Beforehand.”

Hmm. Doesn’t roll off the tongue very well.

How about “The Strict Anti-Abortionist Who is Much More Reasonable When You Meet Him in Person (as Long as He’s Sober).”

17. franky
    February 21st, 2006 @ 3:04 pm

TRA,
    Please see my post regarding you linking to me in this post: here. Thanks.

18. Michael Bains
    February 21st, 2006 @ 4:28 pm

The Unaborted Atheist has always given me a good chuckle RA. That’s the only thing I could imagine you using instead.

But that Anti-abortion Accountant thing rings pretty sweetly too… Ya silly semi-nutter you. {-;

BTW, Franky really does have some good advice and ideas on his site. Check ‘im out if those pricey, black market foetus shakes are gettin’ too steep for your budget choobus!

19. Hannah
    February 21st, 2006 @ 5:36 pm

Dear TRA,

This post made me very happy for some reason!

20. Nathan Sheets
    February 22nd, 2006 @ 3:52 am

MH: I generally skip the atheism posts! ;)

21. SBW
    February 23rd, 2006 @ 3:52 pm

Why not just two sites, one dedicated to atheist issues and another to pro-life issues? That would probably be a lot more work though.

The Unaborted Atheist also sounds pretty good.