Beam Me Up, Coretta Scotty

February 3, 2006 | 14 Comments

Sadly, modern technology makes it possible to gauge the value of a life by searching for obituary cartoons on the internet. Not so much by what’s depicted in the cartoons (inevitably St. Peter or Jesus smiling approvingly at the departed through the Pearly Gates), but by the number of artists who decide to commemorate a particular person. Civil Rights leader Rosa Parks made the pen-and-ink Major Leagues with over a dozen drawings. But her contemporary Coretta Scott King earned only two. And both of those tributes remind me of a funeral service at which the minister forgets the deceased’s name. Apart from being plagued with a confusing theology, the cartoons give the reader no understanding of who Mrs. King was or what she did:

corettamoonfinal.jpg

Where exactly are the Rev. and the Mrs. , on the moon? At first I thought the cartoonist was merely taking poetic license with the depiction of heaven. But next one continues the peculiar space travel theme:

CorettaJesusFinal3.jpg

The clear implication here is the heaven is located on one of the satellites of Saturn. Was Mrs. King a big booster of NASA? There must be some story behind all this.

Comments

14 Responses to “Beam Me Up, Coretta Scotty”

1. rhinoqulous
    February 3rd, 2006 @ 12:21 pm

You claim that Rosa Parks received over a dozen editorial “send-offs”, while RSK only received two. I’ve seen at least half-a-dozen editorial send-offs (that I can think of off-hand) to RSK, so I don’t know what this complaint is stemming from. I am a subscriber to a national cartoon database, though, so I may have access to more toons than you, oh mighty RA.

2. Kafkaesquí
    February 3rd, 2006 @ 1:15 pm

rhinoqulous, RA has always assumed (always being since about 2003) that when you don’t find it in a general Internet search, it doesn’t exist. But what interests me more is why Jesus is welcoming Coretta in the second cartoon. Was St. Peter taking a bathroom break at the time?

And yes, heaven is located on Mimas. I’ve been told that by looking real close (assumedly this only works for true Christians), one can plainly see the Pearly Gates along the southern ridge (bottom of image) of the Herschel crater. I believe the big bump in the middle of the crater is supposed to be Mt. Olympus, or something.

3. vagodin
    February 3rd, 2006 @ 1:23 pm

I believe the first cartoon scene represents the “mountain top” that Martin had been to in his last speech although I never imagined the Earth being the “promised land.” Could be wrong.

4. Unpartisan.com Political News and Blog Aggregator
    February 3rd, 2006 @ 1:33 pm

Vigils held for King as funeral plans made

Coretta Scott King’s body was returned here Wednesday as funeral plans for the widow of slain civil

5. PhalsePhrophet
    February 3rd, 2006 @ 2:00 pm

Apparently Mrs. King was not a full believer in her god or American doctors, she died in a clinic in Mexico that offers alternative treatments for incurable diseases. Perhaps the cartoons should reflect that legacy?

6. Lucy Muff
    February 3rd, 2006 @ 3:36 pm

what is other legacy of her apart from she be married to MLK? Why is not great honors give to wife of famous skientist like Crack and watsons? If being wife of man now make you same as man? It dont add up.

7. Anthony J Fuchs
    February 3rd, 2006 @ 4:23 pm

Maybe Lucy Muff never heard the truism that “behind every great man stands a great woman” (or the version I like more; “behind every great man is a great woman rolling her eyes”).

I’ve read, and I think it’s probably true, that all of the great things by “great men” in history are at least half due to their wives. From William Shakespeare (if we assume for a moment that he was one actual man, which is up for debate) to Albert Einstein, every “great man” had the help of an equally great woman who was inexplicably barred from taking credit for her own work by the preposterous historical notion that women are somehow inferior to men. This baseless prejudice has resulted in the strange phenomenon of men getting the credit for their wives’ intellectual accomplishments.

Case in point; scientific journals had to stop allowing first names in bylines because women were being unfairly censored. Their ideas — which had tremendous merit — were being ignored because they had a uterus. So don’t assume that just “being wife of man now make you same as man,” Lucy; MLK Jr. would never have been the man he was without Coretta Scott.

8. Kafkaesquí
    February 3rd, 2006 @ 10:16 pm

Gee, you know I’m not sure I could say why that is, Lucy. But maybe possibly perhaps it’s because the wives of Crick and Watson didn’t continue their husbands’ work after they were brutally murdered and became important and internationally recognized figures in genetic research, as Coretta Scott King did in the areas of civil rights in the U.S. and human rights worldwide.

Lucy, I don’t have a problem with the level of ignorance you display on nearly everything, but for your own good you may want to at least try to appear as if you know something about the world you live in.

9. ts
    February 4th, 2006 @ 8:21 am

Hey TRA why don’t you put up the Mohamed cartoons.

Islam is the greatest threat to freedom in the world. Thier reaction to a cartoon proves it.

10. twyg
    February 6th, 2006 @ 9:13 am

me love lucy muff. me think lucymuff funny as sh*t.

11. ashli
    February 6th, 2006 @ 8:19 pm

dying laughing. (cartoon me.)

12. Lucy Muff
    February 6th, 2006 @ 11:00 pm

twyg is try to makes fun of Lucy but joke is on yous fool! Jesus is Lord and has helped me to make the commons sense. some peoles no like this but I says forget them! And you can go fuchs youself antony J. I still says that when womans is just marry to man then man is then later dead so what? For woman this is not way to get self powerings, this is same old attitudes that has been for holding us back for lots of years. It be time for lady to stand up for herserlfr and not just be lady what is married to man. You cant understand this fuchs because you is lady hating, and that is why I sayas fuch yous. Get with picture that is big and stop to be big foolish.

JEsus is lord

13. Anthony J Fuchs
    February 7th, 2006 @ 10:25 am

Wow Lucy; wow. That is one of the most profound misinterpretations of anything I’ve ever written. Ever; so, wow.

How exactly “is” I “lady hating,” do tell? I told you not to simply assume that the wife of a “great man” was nothing more than his wife. I told you to research the accomplishments of Coretta Scott as a person first, a woman second, and a wife only third. I told you that she was not simply “same as man” because she was “wife of man,” but that she had achieved her own

You, Lucy, are participating in the patriarchal preconceptions of your society by simply assuming that Coretta Scott King was nothing more of less than the wife of Martin Luther King Jr, or that she has merely attained fame by being married to a “great man.” You are dangerously ignorant of the reality of oppression that Christianity has perpetrated on the human race, and on woman in particular; just read that Bible I know you have lying around somewhere, and tell me how well women are treated. And then you have the audacity to accuse me of “lady hating” when I point out the racist, sexist religion in which you believe?

Lucy, Jesus is not “Lord.” Do a little research, and you will find that the character of Jesus in that novel the “Bible” never even existed; you’re wasting your life believing in a conglomeration of pagan myths and deified historical figures (Julius Caesar the most notable among them). Which is fine by me, except that now you’re letting the painful ignorance of your racist, sexist beliefs infect others; you are a being without morals, Lucy, and I pity you.

And making fun of my last name? Very seventh-grade, Lucy. Truly.

14. twyg
    February 8th, 2006 @ 4:05 pm

twyg no make fun! twyg fo rizzle my cave-nizzle!