It Happens to the Best of Us

December 28, 2005 | 26 Comments

Don over at Diana Mertz Hsieh’s Noodlefood has jumped ship:

I was not raised in a particularly religious home, and while my parents weren’t thrilled when, at the age of fourteen, I became an atheist, there wasn’t any significant pressure put upon me to recant.

But as proof that everyone needs a philosophy, my parents reached a point where — despite all the worldly success anyone could hope to achieve — they felt that something was missing from their lives. Seeking answers, they turned to religion. And then, feeling they had answers, decided I needed those answers too.

Recently, my parents read a book called I Don’t Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist, by Norman L. Geisler and Frank Turek. It was a supposedly rational defense of Christianity, and my parents pushed me to read it. Personally, I have no interest in religion. Atheism has been a non-issue for me for years, but I finally agreed to read it on the premise that I would now be able to end any attempt to convert me by saying, “I’ve heard what you have to say, and I disagree.”

I just finished the book, and let me say: I was convinced. I must humbly renounce my former views and state publicly that I have discovered and accepted in my heart and mind the Truth that Jesus was born of God and died for our sins.

However, Don was an Objectivist, so it’s really just switching from one cult to another. Could Francois Tremblay be next?

UPDATE: Francois Tremblay admits he’s an Objectivist.

UPDATE: The Uncredible Hallq counsels Francois.

Comments

26 Responses to “It Happens to the Best of Us”

1. Seth
    December 29th, 2005 @ 12:16 am

Um…this is a joke, no?. You read the rest of his post, I hope.

2. Kafkaesquí
    December 29th, 2005 @ 12:34 am

I’m quite certain RA caught the sarcasm. However, I am concerned that the Francois Tremblay link just points back to ravingatheist.com.

Trying to tell us something, RA?

3. "Q" the Enchanter
    December 29th, 2005 @ 12:59 am

Just reading Don’s testimonial was enough to persuade me.

4. "Q" the Enchanter
    December 29th, 2005 @ 12:59 am

Just reading Don’s testimonial was enough to persuade me.

5. "Q" the Enchanter
    December 29th, 2005 @ 12:59 am

Just reading Don’s testimonial was enough to persuade me.

6. "Q" the Enchanter
    December 29th, 2005 @ 12:59 am

Just reading Don’s testimonial was enough to persuade me.

7. The Raving Atheist
    December 29th, 2005 @ 1:11 am

Kafkaesqui,

Just remember that a man who points a finger at another has four fingers pointing at himself. A man who counts his thumb as a finger, that is. If not, at least three fingers, which it still three times more than he’s pointing at the other man. By pointing at myself, I got Francois covered three ways, maybe four.

(There, that gave me time to fix the link).

8. Mort Coyle
    December 29th, 2005 @ 1:32 am
  9. Francois Tremblay
    December 29th, 2005 @ 3:28 am

No, Raving Bigot, I am not an Objectivist, not a cultist, and I’m not going to become a Christian. Get over yourself and your silly, juvenile lies. And stop attacking other atheists like myself and Julia Sweeney because they have chosen individualism.

10. Mookie
    December 29th, 2005 @ 3:48 am

Sigh. Another blogwar.

11. JUST_ANOTHER_PRIMATE
    December 29th, 2005 @ 8:46 am

“Why can’t we just all get along”

Excuse me while I go get arreted :)

12. Dada Saves
    December 29th, 2005 @ 11:56 am

For someone who declares ‘I am not an Objectivist,’ he sure does love Ayn Rand — just check out his ‘Good Stuff’ section. (Maybe it’s her hot bod and awesome haircut, as opposed to her ‘philosophy,’ such as it is.)

13. Seth
    December 29th, 2005 @ 12:27 pm

Fetch the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch!

14. Tony
    December 29th, 2005 @ 2:18 pm

“I’ve accepted Jesus into my heart… Just kidding!”

LOL!

15. Breakerslion
    December 29th, 2005 @ 3:19 pm

“One, two, five!”

“Three sire!”

“Three!”

I am sorry to hear about Don, or anyone like him. Hopefully, his mind will reboot and he will see this doctrine for the wet pile of scriptural garbage that it is. Meanwhile, it’s nice to belong, I guess.

As for the scrap with Franc, as the boys of South Park might say, “I think it would be a good idea to stay out of this one!”

I’ve accepted Jesus into my right kidney.

Happy New Year everyone.

16. RHF
    December 29th, 2005 @ 7:40 pm

Please read the book, and you will be convinced of the truth.

17. RHF
    December 29th, 2005 @ 7:40 pm

Please read the book, and you will be convinced of the truth.

18. Diana Hsieh
    December 29th, 2005 @ 10:18 pm

Well goodness, if Don’s joined a cult, then I must have too. That’s a bit of news to me, so I’d very much like to know: Who is the all-powerful leader whom I am obliged to love, obey, and send my teenage daughters for sexual union? Since I’ve merely been attending some philosophy lectures on occasion, I must not have gotten the memo with all the proper instructions.

Perhaps the Raving Atheist will be kind enough to inform me of all the particulars of my cultish obligations. Or maybe he should offer a substantive argument or two instead of those pathetic ad hominems. Can’t he at least come up with something clever and original, even if not accurate?

19. The Raving Atheist
    December 29th, 2005 @ 11:11 pm

Diana,

(1) Since the premise of my post — that Don’s post announced a sincere conversion to Christianity — was a transparent lie, the reader was expected to interpret all subsequent assertions in the post as lies.

(2) The sole purpose of this post was to torment Francois Tremblay.

20. Seth
    December 29th, 2005 @ 11:20 pm

Hmm, I’ve been saying this a lot today.

We desperately need to stop tormenting each other over petty issues. If we start judging people based on which ism they fall under, what makes us different than Catholic-hating Protestants, or Baptist-hating Methodists?

Seriously, I see enough of this pointless bickering between 13 year-olds when I go to school. We have a common enemy: the Judean People’s Front. Theists, whatever.

21. Seth
    December 30th, 2005 @ 12:03 am
  22. Diana Hsieh
    December 30th, 2005 @ 1:17 am

Sorry for the misinterpretation, RA. From what I’ve seen of Francois Tremblay, I’m all in favor of whatever tortures you might inflict upon him. He seems to be quite the jerk.

23. HappyNat
    December 30th, 2005 @ 9:44 am

I thought our enemy was the People’s Front of Judea . . . damn I’ll need to make new protest signs now.

24. bernie dehler
    December 30th, 2005 @ 3:11 pm

I’m glad you read it for your parents. It’s good to communicate, regardless of our beliefs.

…Bernie

25. Gene Bob
    December 30th, 2005 @ 10:19 pm

What’s that? You says FOX News can’t be fair and balanced, when it comes to religion? :)

Religion in America: Church and State
    Hosted by Brit Hume
    Sunday, 1 Jan 2006 at 5pm ET

26. ts
    January 3rd, 2006 @ 3:49 am

Who gives a big red rats ass.