Christmas Eve Day Miscellania

December 24, 2005 | 10 Comments

So Vincent “The Chin” Gigante — head of the Genovese crime family — “lived a Christian life and was a good man”? That’s what the Roman Catholic priest officiating at the funeral Mass said, anyway. Sure, I understand that the priest was the mobster’s brother, but isn’t the Church a little concerned that it, uh, sets a bad example?

This guy legally changed his name to “Jesus Christ” yesterday. His reason? “I am the person who is that name . . . [t]his was not done for any reason other than I am that person . . . [y]ou’re dealing with the real deal.” In granting the petition, the judge noted that use of the name was fine “so long as the change is not made to deceive or perpetrate a fraud.” I think she’d have a hard time finding anybody, on either side of the God-fence, who’d agree the ruling was correct under that standard.

“The FBI, without warrants, has secretly monitored radiation levels at Islamic mosques . . .to determine if nuclear bombs were being assembled,” according to the New York Post.

A shocking assault on freedom of religion. Oh, did you say “nuclear bombs?” Fine by me.

Google raving + atheist + imbecile and hit “i’m Feeling Lucky.” Here’s the link if you’re lazy. Randroids vs Randites? Was that my mistake? Now you know how I feel when people confuse “proof atheists” with “belief atheists.”

Comments

10 Responses to “Christmas Eve Day Miscellania”

1. Mookie
    December 24th, 2005 @ 2:29 pm

You know, if they started spying on religious buildings with IQ-detector machines, they would find that there are a whole lot of stupid, gullible, ignorant, feeble-minded people concentrated in one spot. This I fear more than nuclear weapons.

As for the Randroids, don’t worry about them. I don’t like your abortion posts, but I just roll my eyes and ignore them, so they can do the same when you’re dissin’ Ayn Rand.

2. Francois Tremblay
    December 24th, 2005 @ 8:59 pm

Yes Raving Atheist, keep shitting on all individualists and put them all under the same umbrella you can rain on with your willfull ignorance. I’m putting you on my shit list for that. Not that it’ll affect you any, your position as atheistic belief leader (I wouldn’t dare call you something as dignified as “thought leader”) is well-established, of that I have no doubt.

3. The Raving Atheist
    December 24th, 2005 @ 9:27 pm

Francois,

Read my posts on objectivism (here, here, here and here), tell me where I went wrong, and I’ll pass the mantle of Fearless Atheist Thought Leader to you.

4. I Am
    December 24th, 2005 @ 10:44 pm

Welcome to the shit list, RA. As one of the founding members, I think I speak for the group when I say we’re happy to have you.

5. Pixelation
    December 25th, 2005 @ 4:05 am

Wow. I Am and RA in the shit list with little ol’ me? I feel special.

You two are Atheistic superheroes. I’m just a powerless superhero who happens to be an atheist.

Though I see where Tremblay would have made the mistake..

6. John K. Fitzpatrick
    December 25th, 2005 @ 9:32 am

I coined the term “Randglossian” for when they begin spouting on the utter perfection of invisible-hand capitalist-toolism. But Randroid does capture their humorlessness pretty well, as evidenced on the J.Sweeney blog. “Ejectivism” characterizes their need enforce standards of doctrinal purity. To sum: “A simp” equals “A simp”.
    – John

7. John K. Fitzpatrick
    December 25th, 2005 @ 9:36 am

I coined the term “Randglossian” for when they begin spouting on the utter perfection of invisible-hand capitalist-toolism. But Randroid does capture their humorlessness pretty well, as evidenced on the J.Sweeney blog. “Ejectivism” characterizes their need enforce standards of doctrinal purity. To sum: “A cad” equals “A cad”.
    – John

8. ts
    December 26th, 2005 @ 12:23 am

th first athiest scism. what do you not belive in?

9. MBains
    December 27th, 2005 @ 4:44 am

ts,
    God
    a Biotic Singularity
    and hmmm… Seedless Watermelons (there’re always teeny-tiny li’l seeds in them things.)

Happy New Year!!!

10. Tony
    January 1st, 2006 @ 5:38 pm

Mookie, not to mention the fact that we are procreating at a much higher rate than most secularists. We are going to take over the world by having big families.