Anka

December 9, 2005 | 10 Comments

Didn’t have to keep it
Wouldn’t put you thru it
You could have swept it from your life
But you wouldn’t do it
No you wouldn’t do it
And you’re having my baby

Paul Anka, You’re Having My Baby, 1974

Comments

10 Responses to “Anka”

1. hermesten
    December 13th, 2005 @ 11:17 am

Even as a teenager this song made me want to barf. It’s a good example of Gresham’s Law at work in the popular culture, but then, so is the “music” of Paul Anka.

2. lily
    December 14th, 2005 @ 2:04 pm

Something else Hermesten and I agree on. Where will it end?

As much as I hate abortion, this song is cringe-inducing. I had hoped never to see or hear it again.

3. ashli
    December 15th, 2005 @ 9:09 am

“you could have chopped his head off
    eviscerated him too
    it would have taken five minutes
    and only a buck or two.

you’re not killin’ my baby,
    what a lovely way of sayin’ how much you love me!”

so touching. (i think i’m going to cry.)

4. a different tim
    December 16th, 2005 @ 8:41 am

I think that says it all…….

5. The Dancing Kid
    December 16th, 2005 @ 5:59 pm

You’re having my baby? Then again, maybe not.

According to the March of Dimes website: “As many as 50 percent of all pregnancies may end in miscarriage,” aka spontaneous abortion. This is a big problem for theists.

Their perfect God created the world. He is therefore ultimately responsible for that world and the way in which it functions, including the workings of the human reproductive system.

But how could a perfect being create something so fraught with error?

6. hermesten
    December 16th, 2005 @ 6:12 pm

“Also, why would God create a reproductive sysem in which abortion is so common an outcome?”

Dude, come on! It’s because a snake got a dumb naked chick in a garden to eat an apple.

This makes God the first oily snake salesman…..or something.

7. Rocketman
    December 20th, 2005 @ 12:48 pm

So does this truth about 50% of pregnancies make the sturdy atheist value the survivors more? Does the fact that this naturally evolved method of reproduction is so frought with peril not only for the fetus but also the mother have anyone consider the preciousness of a being brought about by it? No of course not–hey jump on the bandwagon. Embrace that naturalistic fallacy–if it’s good enough for nature–why give a shit at all.

Abortion is natural after all.

Why attempt to make anything different. Hey here’s another idea–when you actually want to ahve a child yourselves–forgo any of the medical advances generated over the past couple of thousand years–dress in bear skins and let nature take its course.

It becomes more and more obvious to me that just becasue I happen to agree on the basic defnition of atheism enough to call myself an athesit–I have disagreements with many in this community that are a deep and fundamental as my disagreements with fundamentalist theists.

Having said that–and I’m speaking as an expectant father here–that song truly bites.

8. MBains
    December 22nd, 2005 @ 4:48 am

…dress in bear skins and let nature take its course.

Uhhh… yah. You meant “Bear Skin¬©” condoms, right Rocketman?

Actually I’ve always like that sacharine song. And, after 2 ill-fated (LOL!) marriages, I’ve decided
    1) never have sex with someone unless I would be absolutely thrilled if they got pregnant
    2) not to marry again until someone specific-like asks me

Being single may be lonely but it ain’t so bad. {-;

Slurpy Holidays

9. Rocketman
    December 22nd, 2005 @ 10:39 am

Funny–those are exactly the same rukles i used after the failure of my previous engagement.

Got married this year–October–babay due May of next–

Life is actually pretty damn good. But there was a lonely year or two

10. sickoftheshit
    December 24th, 2005 @ 4:58 am

sex is the way we reproduce. if you don’t want to risk having to go through an abortion, don’t have sex.
    you don’t see female lions giving headjobs