Candidate Sees Atheism and Holocaust Denial as Winning Combination

November 13, 2005 | 11 Comments

Montgomery, Alabama, November 13, 2005
Special to The Raving Atheist

Capitalizing on the growing appeal of godlessness, the founder of the Montgomery-based Atheist Law Center has stepped down to run for public office. Larry Darby, the organization’s president, announced on Wednesday that he would seek the Democratic nomination for Alabama state attorney general in the June 6 primary.

Darby also credited his decision to resign to the desire to include holocaust-denial in his campaign. “Had I not resigned, I would be viewed as a single-issue candidate,” he said.

The candidate noted that prior campaigns of holocaust-denying politician David Duke had being seriously hampered by the Klan leader’s embrace of Christianity. “Americans detest superstition,” he noted. “My candidacy represents the perfect fusion of the atheism of Stalin with the anti-Semitism of Hitler.”

Darby said, however, that he hoped his religious views would not be made an issue in the campaign. “Americans are a tolerant group . . . they know it’s not fair to take a personal, private matter like faith and hold it against a candidate.” He added that he expected his poll numbers would only increase if he were forced to engage in shrill denunciation of any godidiot Jew-lovers who might oppose his platform to rid the Pledge of god and the banks and media of Zionists.

Darby’s campaign is also expected to get a boost from the endorsement of the National Atheist Media/Business Lobbying Association (NAMBLA). “Plus, I’m going to make liberal use of the cuddly atheist arachnid mascot on all of my campaign literature,” Darby said. “Look out for a landslide.”

Comments

11 Responses to “Candidate Sees Atheism and Holocaust Denial as Winning Combination”

1. sternwallow
    November 13th, 2005 @ 7:03 pm

If any part of that item was true, the last phrase should have been “Look out for a mudslide.”

November 13th, 2005 @ 7:16 pm

I don’t think it will be a landslide. I live in Montgomery and I have never heard of Darby or the Atheist Law Center. Of course, how it would differ from the Southern Poverty Law Center which is also based here (in one of the biggest, most expensive buildings in downtown Montgomery) is hard to say. Anyone who thinks an atheist has a shot qua atheist in Montgomery is dreaming, to say the least.

3. Adam
    November 13th, 2005 @ 7:19 pm

Gasp! You called him a holocaust denier! That means you must be one of the “usual enemies of free speech” Darby always talks about but never identifies or defines. After reading his daily e-mail newsletters for about a year now, it seems like it refers to anyone who is sympathetic to the mainstream historical view of the Nazi party. He spent countless hours promoting his sponsorship of a David Irving speech but never bothered to report on anything Irving said in the speech.

4. probligo
    November 13th, 2005 @ 8:18 pm

It takes all kinds I guess.

Just which is he trying to promote – anti-semitism and holocaust denial or atheism?

Sounds much to me like the former, in which case look carefully at those whom you call friends…

5. leon
    November 13th, 2005 @ 9:49 pm
  6. MBains
    November 14th, 2005 @ 12:17 pm

Oy freakin’ Vey!

Atheists-World discussion group on Yahoo has been blasting this godless nutter for months already but, of course, I love TRA’s elegance and understatement.

To all: Herr Darby may certainly be atheist (probably even more-so than Ioseph S, but more importantly, he’s just another example of how that description simply means one doesn’t believe in gods. Any level of intelligence can sustain the concept of godlessness or godidiocy. Intelligence simply isn’t the point of that dichotomy.

7. Jason Malloy
    November 14th, 2005 @ 5:36 pm

I thought you were kidding! Its always fun clicking on your news link and seeing what was true and what was made up – not always easy to guess ahead of time.

8. The Interloper
    November 14th, 2005 @ 9:35 pm

Oh, that hit the spot.

9. Justin Winokur
    November 14th, 2005 @ 11:11 pm

i actually almost thought this was real and i was upset that an atheist candidate had to be such a dumb-ass but when i read the NAMBLA part, it all became clear.

10. Some guy
    November 20th, 2005 @ 7:31 pm

I thought your headline was so great that I submitted a link to the article on fark.com with the same headline. I hope you don’t mind.

11. Larry Darby
    December 2nd, 2005 @ 1:46 pm

Thanks for the story! I laughed out loud when I read it. But, seriously, some idiots wrote me thinking it was actually a true story. I am not kidding. For those wanting to help revive the Democratic party and elect an atheist to statewide office, please send your contribution to Larry Darby for AG, P O Box 3722, Montgomery, AL 36109.