Anti-Semitic Homophobic Group Barred from Discriminating against Jewish Gays

November 18, 2005 | 20 Comments

New York, New York, November 18, 2005
Special to The Raving Atheist

A New York judge has upheld a Jewish gay man’s discrimination lawsuit against a Christian organization that preaches that Jews and gays go to hell — holding that the Salvation Army may not direct its deeply-felt epithets against its employees. The decision has provoked outrage from many anti-Semitic homophobic churches, who claim that religious exemptions to employment laws protect their right to spew hate at those they hire.

In a sharply-worded decision, the state Supreme Court judge rejected the charity’s bid to dismiss a suit by a senior caseworker who alleges that his was reprimanded and later fired for complaining that his supervisor called him a “Jewish fag.”

“Invidious discrimination, including by religious institutions, has no place in our society,” wrote the judge. The court rejected arguments that state and city law expressly permit religious organizations to limit hiring to persons of the same religion, and to promote the tenets of their faith, holding that “those limited exemptions are a far cry from letting them harass their employees and treat the employees in an odiously discriminatory manner.”

The court noted that while it had the “utmost respect” for the Salvation Army’s doctrine that Hebrew sodomites are slow-roasted for eternity over fiery pits, permitting supervisors to communicate that doctrine to its staff could lead to “hurt feelings.”

Although Major Guy Klemanski of the Salvation Army’s New York division said his organization “abhors the type of conduct that is alleged to have occurred,” the group’s lawyer, Cindy Molloy, said “We are considering our next step regarding [the court’s] narrow construction of the religious organization exemption.”

Pastor Fred Phelps of God Hates Fags expressed concern that the ruling could “severely impair” his ability to reprimand the unrepentant reprobate cocksucking Christ-killing kikes he employs. “They are dogs eating their own vomit and sows wallowing in their own feces,” he said. “They need to hear this truth if they are to have any hope of penitence, faith in Jesus Christ and salvation.”

Comments

20 Responses to “Anti-Semitic Homophobic Group Barred from Discriminating against Jewish Gays”

1. hermesten
    November 18th, 2005 @ 9:41 am

It’s funny how you post an article that mentions cocksucking, when just yesterday I was thinking how the loving God prefers slave-holders to cock-suckers. You know, maybe the fundies are right, and God is a Republican.

2. Daniel
    November 18th, 2005 @ 10:19 am

Why do we need a court telling us how to speak?

3. franky
    November 18th, 2005 @ 10:54 am

Why was the guy working at the salvation army anyway?

4. DamnRight
    November 18th, 2005 @ 10:59 am

Don’t ask… don’t tell…

5. Mookie
    November 18th, 2005 @ 2:18 pm

Spreading love and goodwill…

6. Mort Coyle
    November 18th, 2005 @ 2:46 pm

I like where this is leading. I want to get a job at an Atheist organization and propagate my Christian views. ;^)

7. jahrta
    November 18th, 2005 @ 2:48 pm

Luckily for us, your views would be summarily ignored and ridiculed. Atheists are smart, Mort, they’d find reasons to fire you on other grounds than your religiosity

8. Baconeatingatheistjew
    November 18th, 2005 @ 2:49 pm

Hilarious. I wish I wrote it.

9. simbol
    November 18th, 2005 @ 4:46 pm

hey jahrta

If atheists are smart how come that they hired mort in the first place?

10. jahrta
    November 18th, 2005 @ 4:57 pm

Good point, Simbol

Maybe they hired Mort as some sort of “look! we have a token theist working for us so you cannot label us as being a discriminatory workplace” kind of maneuver.

I mean, I can think of no other reason.

11. hermesten
    November 18th, 2005 @ 5:19 pm

Mort makes a good point. An employer who is Christian should be able to fire anyone who is insufficiently Christian. I mean, how can an atheist janitor clean a godly Christian toliet? And why should a good Christian doctor have to treat a Muslim or an atheist, or even a Jew, when such heathens undermine our national Christian identity and lack moral objectivity? Why, they’re practically traitors: everyone knows you can’t be a good American if you don’t love Jesus –the senator from Oklahoma told us so.

12. SteveR
    November 19th, 2005 @ 8:47 am

Well said Hermesten.

13. Athana
    November 19th, 2005 @ 9:05 pm

Alright! Score one for us!

14. Mort Coyle
    November 20th, 2005 @ 5:50 pm

Ah, but we’re not talking about a janitor at the Salvation Army. Logan was a Senior Caseworker.

So let’s flip the scenario around (try to stay with me…):

I get a job as a Senior Caseworker at an Atheist organization and then begin preaching the Gospel to the organization’s clients and make it publicly known that I think atheism is wrong. My values are in direct contradiction to the organization’s. Yet, you have to put up with it because to fire me would be discriminatory. Is that what you would want?

Of course, there are several questions:

Why did I go to work for an organization who’s values are so different from my own?

Did I make my values and lifestyle known at the time I was hired or did I “come out” after the fact?

Was I obnoxiously vocal about my values or was I circumspect?

I imagine that questions like these will be answered once the case actually goes to trial. At this point, all we have are allegations. Perhaps the SA moved to dismiss because they were hoping to avoid having to spend money earmarked for charity on what may turn out to be a frivolous lawsuit.

The greater issue in this case is not one of “gay-bashing”, but of whether an organization built on an ideology has the right to only employ people who’s views are consistant with that ideology. Particularly people who would be acting on behalf of that organization.

15. hermesten
    November 21st, 2005 @ 9:47 am

You know Mort, I don’t necessarily disgaree, when specific positions are referenced. But you said you wanted to get “a job” at an atheist organization and propagate your Christian views. You could do that as a janitor. But since you were talking about where things are leading, I wanted to talk about the other path, one which we’re already on –what with pharmacists refusing to dispense prescriptions of which they disapprove for personal reasons.

16. Mort Coyle
    November 21st, 2005 @ 9:03 pm

hermesten, the “path we’re already on” is commenting on this story about the man who claims he was fired from his Senior Caseworker job at the Salvation Army because he is Jewish and gay. Which path were you on?

And where did pharmacists come into this?

17. MBains
    November 29th, 2005 @ 11:37 am

The Squat said: At the end of days, we’ll all be able to sort things out

LMAO!!! Well, no.

We’ll be dead. (Silly … )

18. MBains
    November 29th, 2005 @ 11:38 am

The Squat said: At the end of days, we’ll all be able to sort things out

LMAO!!! Well, no.

We’ll be dead. (Silly … )

19. MBains
    November 29th, 2005 @ 11:40 am

LOL! And this is to the wrong post!

It was meant for the (Hellbound Jews) post!

Whatever… {-;

20. Intellectual Pariah
    December 1st, 2005 @ 9:05 am

If Jews and gays go to Hell, then surely Jewish gays go to Heaven. It’s like a double negative, right?