Rapturous

October 10, 2005 | 13 Comments

The online theology quiz Battleground God stirred up some controversy a couple of years ago, with many test-takers objecting to flaws and inconsistencies in the grading methodology. The spiritual health quiz offered by Rapture Ready, however, employs more straightforward criteria. Plus, most atheists get to meet Isaac Asimov in two easy clicks.

[Link courtesy of Prayer Tulip]

Comments

13 Responses to “Rapturous”

1. MBains
    October 10th, 2005 @ 11:47 am

Isaak says “Hi everybody!”

2. Dave
    October 10th, 2005 @ 12:25 pm

Man, the first one deliberately leaves out some important points – and the preoccupation with violence is a bit disturbing. Besides, it’s documented in the Bible that God considered certain sinful acts (genocide, rape, infanticide, slafvery, etc) perfectly OK, in fact commanded that it be done in His name.

The second one is hilarious. I imagine that a Buddhist would get a chuckle out of it.

3. Dave
    October 10th, 2005 @ 12:27 pm

Re: my first point – therefore, the question about whether or not God can make sinful things moral and moral things sinful is not MY philosophical contradiction, it’s God’s.

4. Justin Winokur
    October 10th, 2005 @ 2:41 pm

Wow, Now that was pure bullshit. I enjoyed taking it though.

5. Bruce
    October 10th, 2005 @ 3:55 pm

Is this a joke?

6. Viole
    October 10th, 2005 @ 4:51 pm

Two comments:

One.

Two.

Who owns and operates Rapture Ready? And how are they affiliated with RX?

My personal favorite answer(to get back on topic) is this one. “God has plainly said that Christianity is superior to all other faiths.”

7. Mookie
    October 10th, 2005 @ 5:23 pm

I love how they use a religious text to prove the strength and validity of their beliefs. Imagine a religious text that did not claim it was the one true religion, or it claimed it was NOT the one true religion. I would be more apt to “believe” in such a thing than those that claim to be correct.

8. Jean-Paul Fastidious
    October 10th, 2005 @ 5:24 pm

Viole: You do realize that the R with the x on the tail is a standard pharmaceutical mark, or is there something else in those two images that you are referring to?

9. Viole
    October 10th, 2005 @ 10:14 pm

Oh, I see. They’re just admitting religion is a drug. I guess I tried to read too much into it.

10. Mookie
    October 11th, 2005 @ 2:28 am

Viole, yes, it’s call gerin oil.

11. Joe
    October 11th, 2005 @ 10:11 am

I am the greatests person in the world. How can I make such a comment? Well my mom wrote it on a birthday card for me once…

Hey, if religions can reference their own books as proof of their superiority, then I can reference anything I like to assert my own greatness….

Right?

12. Dave
    October 11th, 2005 @ 11:51 am

sheesh. Some Eastern spiritual traditions do say that divine truth is like a string, and religions are like pearls on the string. The divine runs through all of them; the extra stuff (symbols, mythology, etc) are the pearls, some are bigger and some are smaller, but they all contain some of the divine.

At least this view does not espouse a single approach to the divine. I see it as more of a turds and dental floss thing myself.

13. Blu_Matt
    October 14th, 2005 @ 5:11 pm

“Most people who do not think God exists betray their stance by arguing with Him. If God is not real, there is no need to be hostile toward Him or toward anyone who believes in Him.”

Hostility towards people of faith is usually reactionary to actions caused by a narrow world view, rather than being conspired against faultlessly. Typical apologetic rhetoric. I really have no idea why I wasted my time.