Oink Oink

October 1, 2005 | 26 Comments

Feministe celebrates the life of Constance Baker Motley, the first black woman to become a federal judge. She was a close friend and contemporary of civil rights leaders Rev. Martin Luther King and Rev. Ralph Abernathy, visiting them in jail, serving as their lawyer, and she was the guest speaker at the 1965 Southern Christian Leadership Conference founded by the two men.

Just a hunch here, but . . .

The civil rights leaders of Motley

Comments

26 Responses to “Oink Oink”

1. Lauren
    October 1st, 2005 @ 2:26 pm

So what’s your point? She wasn’t pro-choice?

Man, this is one of the lamest missives aimed against Feministe in the four years it has existed. Setting up strawwomen and knocking them down.

Clean up your comment spam. It makes you look lazy.

2. Mijae
    October 1st, 2005 @ 6:26 pm

The point is if someone being pro-life is the only criteria you need to decide that someone is a sexist pig, Feministe is going to have a lot more sexist pigs to deal with than they thought. And this may include people they currently praise.

3. Lauren
    October 1st, 2005 @ 7:18 pm

Who set that up as criteria… other than the Raving Atheist himself?

4. Lauren
    October 1st, 2005 @ 7:19 pm

And by the way, the only people I know who use the phrase “sexist pig” are people who don’t understand or care to understand feminists or feminism. Food for thought.

5. The Raving Atheist
    October 1st, 2005 @ 7:35 pm

Agreed.

Who set that up as criteria… other than the Raving Atheist himself?

See link above.

Clean up your comment spam. It makes you look lazy.

The only truth here is that you

6. Lauren
    October 1st, 2005 @ 7:40 pm

The insult not only unwitty, it’s also tired.

I fail to understand where someone else’s comments set up Jill’s or my criteria for using the label “sexist” and why your projections are worthy of someone else’s justifications.

Again, setting up strawmen to knock them down. Anyone else bored yet?

7. The Raving Atheist
    October 1st, 2005 @ 7:57 pm

The insult not only unwitty, it’s also tired.

I know. It was from that Planned Parenthood “Superhero for Choice” animation (it’s what “Dianysis” says to the Evil Religious Right boogeyman before murdering him).

I didn’t say they did. I just agreed with you that people who use the term “sexist pig” don’t understand feminists or feminism. And now I’m using your criteria for identifying the people who don’t understand.

And it appears that my projection was at a minimum worthy of the justification you just gave.

Again, setting up strawmen to knock them down.

Amanda is a “strawwoman,” to use your phrase. She needed knocking down (to read her blog, she certainly gets knocked up enough).

Anyone else bored yet?

Not you, apparently.

8. Lauren
    October 1st, 2005 @ 8:00 pm

I think you have a crush on Amanda.

9. The Raving Atheist
    October 1st, 2005 @ 8:02 pm

I think you have a crush on Amanda.

Now who’s projecting?

10. Dawn Eden
    October 1st, 2005 @ 8:14 pm
  11. Lauren
    October 1st, 2005 @ 8:23 pm

Now who’s projecting?
    Dude, just admit it.

Dawn: Hiya right back atcha.

I don’t think there is anything inherently wrong with CPCs as long as they are up-front about their services and their intentions (many of which are not, hence my issues with them). AND as long as they are not the only option out there for those with unplanned pregnancies. I imagine they are a great comfort for those whose faith and politics are in religious alignment, but for those of us who are uninterested in being converted or coerced into their idea of how to properly handle an unplanned pregnancy their methods are disconcerting.

The man I quoted is effectively saying what many feminists have been saying for years.

12. The Raving Atheist
    October 1st, 2005 @ 8:34 pm

Dude, just admit it.

Very well. I admit she holds a certain attraction.

13. The Raving Atheist
    October 1st, 2005 @ 9:16 pm

Also, although I don’t have a crush on Amanda, I am glad that Marcotte is distributing petitions calling for parental notification for abortion.

14. Jennifer
    October 2nd, 2005 @ 10:18 am

I’m rubber, you’re glue…

C’mon you guys. All of you. You make me sad.

15. The Raving Atheist
    October 2nd, 2005 @ 11:07 am

What you want, Jennifer — reconciliation, or just a more sophisticated level of hostility?

16. Jennifer
    October 2nd, 2005 @ 11:15 am

LOL! Definitely a more sophisticated level of hostility.

17. MBains
    October 2nd, 2005 @ 11:42 am

A well-earned honor even so.

Even the Unaborted Theist has the capacity for the truth.

18. leon
    October 3rd, 2005 @ 8:02 am

I love fried aborted fetuses and eggs for breakfast with orange juice.

19. Bill from INDC
    October 4th, 2005 @ 12:03 pm

Man, I feel like I should pay to watch this fight. Sophisticated hostility, unsophisticated hostility, it’s all great!

20. The Raving Atheist
    October 4th, 2005 @ 12:22 pm

Too late, Bill The fight is over.

Until tomorrow.

21. Bill from INDC
    October 4th, 2005 @ 1:21 pm

“But a gay person who does not accept the notion that his or her sexual conduct is sinful is clearly rejecting at least one truth of Catholicism. And it is such an unambiguous teaching that I can

22. The Raving Atheist
    October 4th, 2005 @ 1:32 pm

Go start something with Marcotte for my amusment.

I can’t. As I’ve noted here and elsewhere, she banned me weeks ago. (I saved all the comments she suppressed, though).

But maybe she’ll stop by and set the criteria for tomorrow’s fight.

23. PG
    October 5th, 2005 @ 8:04 pm

Next time you’re researching a judge, as opposed to a politician, try looking at legal sources rather than the wisdom of Google. While as a federal judge, Motley had limited interaction with abortion issues (as that is generally regulated at the state level), she did what she could.

United States v. Terry, 17 F.3d 575 — Judge Motley votes to affirm anti-abortion activist Randall Terry’s conviction for criminal contempt.

Finney v. Planned Parenthood of N.Y. City, Inc., 2003 — Judge Motley dismisses complaint against Planned Parenthood.

Moe v. Dinkins, 1980 — Unlike certain obviously anti-legal-abortion federal judges, Motley did not take the opportunity in a discussion of abortion to say anything negative about it or the Supreme Court’s decisions guaranteeing minors’ access to abortion.

In the area of employment law, which is of federal jurisdiction much more often than abortion would be, Judge Motley consistently upheld women’s interests. See Danielson v. Board of Higher Education, and Fisher v. Vassar College, for starters.

24. The Raving Atheist
    October 5th, 2005 @ 8:27 pm

PG,

Believe me, I read them all very carefully before posting, from the first word to the last.

And so did you, which is why you’ve said so little about each one, and phrased your descriptions so cleverly.

25. PG
    October 5th, 2005 @ 8:43 pm

If you read them so carefully, perhaps you can point to where Judge Motley evinced the anti-legalized-abortion sentiment with which you charge her, as I saw nothing in those opinions that pointed to such an animus. And I thought I was being brief rather than clever, so go me!

26. The Raving Atheist
    October 5th, 2005 @ 8:51 pm

I didn’t rest the charge on the decisions. You didn’t read my post very carefully.

You brought up the cases, suggesting quite ridiculously that they evinced a pro-choice sentiment.

Why not just recite the facts of each decision and make your case. Start by telling us what Moe was all about, and what Finney and Terry weren’t.