So Far, So Good (Updated)

September 3, 2005 | 10 Comments

A preliminary word of thanks to those who have contributed to the charities I suggested in Thursday’s post. Including my contributions, the confirmed donations are just $41 short of $666!!! Actually, we might already be there because a couple of the donors merely indicated that they had given more than $10, without specifying the exact amount. Here’s the honor roll to date, with my occasional comments:

NOTE: The donors listed below may also record their contributions at the Truth Laid Bear Contributions Logging Page.

Graeme Anfinson of Holding North Dakota’s Breath Until it Turns Blue gave to the Salvation Army.

Jim Causey, a compassionate atheist, gave to the Red Cross.

Ian Fyall, a godless, heartless bastard, also the Red Cross.

David the Monday Morning Atheist (a/k/a “Tenspace” in the TRA forums), to the Red Cross.

Jennifer of Dream of Peace’s Blog and this Daily Kos Blog gave to the Salvation Army. She’s one of my most treasured commenters. Look at how she talks about me:

Just more chick hate. Same shit different day.

Some childhood trauma has lead RA to a life of women hating.

Conservative atheist Blue Lobster scuttled over to his wallet and pulled out some bucks for the Salvation Army.

Ende gave 23.93 Euros ($30) to the Red Cross.

Rufus made extremely generous gifts to the Red Cross and the Humane Society of the United States.

Obituary Cartoon Contest Winner R. Wood emptied his pockets for the Red Cross.

I’ve erected the above atheism-proof wall to protect gracious Catholic Charities donor Dawn Eden of The Dawn Patrol from potential contamination. If anything ever makes fire-breathing Christianity cool, it’ll be her crispy blog. You can read about her Almost Famous-style career here and enjoy her Blog On! column in the New York Daily News here. And today’s her birthday!

I’ll churn out the magnets and limericks in a week or two. Please be patient; art (and lame doggerel) takes time.

UPDATE: Four more gifts to the Red Cross have brought the total to over $885:

The always enthusiastic Stephen Collings.

The insignificant other of TRA Columbia Shuttle Contest winner Leigh-Anne of Over Coffee.*

Shirley Setterbo of Atheist Exposed. I found this post particularly touching; if only the screws had been so nice at the joint I was in.

Mijae and her grocery store.

HONORABLE MENTION:

Poking around my bookmarks I noticed that Gina Smith, a “pretty non-religious person,” has given to Catholic Charities. Not on my recommendation, but because she saw that they’re setting up facilities to house and feed and clothe 300 families for 9 months in her hometown of San Franscisco.

* Also known as Phil Dennison of November Musings.

Comments

10 Responses to “So Far, So Good (Updated)”

1. Mijae
    September 4th, 2005 @ 1:12 am

I donated only $5 to the Red Cross through my grocery store, but since they match donations, it’s like donating $10!

I don’t really think that counts for a magnet, but you can add it to the $666 goal.

2. Jennifer
    September 4th, 2005 @ 10:58 am

*Big Smile*

3. MBains
    September 5th, 2005 @ 5:21 am

Wow Mijae!

Is that Northwest Orient Airlines’ contest still going on? I’ve wanted to fly them since I was 8 or 9 (and they were still in existence!)

Nice picwork.

4. corsair the rational pirate
    September 5th, 2005 @ 4:56 pm

I actually dropped $50 on Feed the Children (to, you know, feed some children) and sent $25 to Michelle at asmallvictory.net to buy school supplies for the little waifs.

Does that count?

5. The Raving Atheist
    September 5th, 2005 @ 5:33 pm

(1) A Small Victory is one of the participating blogs over at TTLB and you should give her the credit by going here. If she won’t give you a toy, well, you just picked the wrong atheist, didn’t you?

(2) The blogs who recommended Feed the Children are listed here. You can log your contribution here in their honor and try to shake them down for some loot. I presume either Pagan Capitalist or Barely Legal would be the best tries.

6. hermesten
    September 6th, 2005 @ 9:36 am

Michael Brown, creator of the immensely popular SpiritDaily.com website – popularly known as the Catholic DrudgeReport, has said that Katrina was “definitely” a purification for New Orleans. Brown points out that the name Katrina itself means “pure”. And that, Brown told LifeSiteNews.com, is not a coincidence. “I don’t believe in coincidences,” said Brown, adding that God has everything in His control and “I think that everything is interwoven.”

7. hermesten
    September 6th, 2005 @ 9:40 am

So Frank, is Michael Brown a “legitimate” Christian? He’s says the same thing Westboro does, he’s just more “polite.” About about the Salvation Army guy and Rev. Shanks. Are all these people just wackos?

8. ElDiablo
    September 6th, 2005 @ 3:24 pm

Gave $100 to American Red Cross

9. ElDiablo
    September 6th, 2005 @ 3:26 pm

The devil made me do it

10. a different tim
    September 9th, 2005 @ 1:10 pm

If you have little money but spend far too much time at your computer here’s something you can do – go here
    basically there are a lot of online missing persons lists but no one place where all that information is gathered that people can visit to find if friends, relatives etc are alive. This organisation is using volunteers to put all those lists onto one database. Go to the link, click on the volunteer bit, claim a set of records, and enter them into the central database.