Sweeney, Unleashed

August 20, 2005 | 38 Comments

Julia Sweeney has a couple of reflective posts relating to her dialogue with Dawn Eden about the Jesus-and-the-pig passage. Direct links to the posts are not possible; to get to them, click here; once the home page loads click on “Blog,” which will take you to the latest entry and the archive listing.

The first post, “Dawn’s Demons,” Sweeney gives the background of the exchange, reproduces the comment she left at the Dawn Patrol, and provides some additional thoughts on why she found the Bible story “even more upsetting.” In today’s post, “Anthropomorphizing Demons as Ideas,” she reveals that she actually woke up this morning thinking about the issues raised by the controversy and engages in some self-psychoanalysis over why she “mangled” the passage her San Francisco Chronicle interview. She even links to Austin Cline’s critique of the Jesus’ conduct at the Atheism section of About.com, following up with some choice thoughts on evolution and Christian capitalism.

It’s refreshing to see a celebrity discuss religious issues with intelligence, honesty and integrity. Someone in Hollywood who understands that there are alternatives to Christianity other than Scientology and Kabbalah, and who can express the reasons for her disbelief coherently. I can’t think of anyone on the theistic side of the wall out there who’s as reflective and articulate about faith

Comments

38 Responses to “Sweeney, Unleashed”

1. Percy
    August 20th, 2005 @ 10:04 pm

RA,

It depends on what exactly you mean by “reflective”. If you mean someone who understands religion in general, then you obviously haven’t read many theistic authors. But off the top of my head I would point you towards C.S. Lewis, N.T. Wright, and Donald Miller.

I would add that I too find it refreshing that someone is able to coherently present their reasons for disbelief – this shows that they are willing to discuss them and find the truth, rather than simply devolving to the mental maturity of a two-year old and chanting “I don’t believe in God because there is no God.”

2. Mijae
    August 21st, 2005 @ 1:51 am

Hey RA, this has nothing to do with Sweeney, but I don’t know where you go to submit things like this. I just spotted this article plastered all over the inside cover of the Chicago Sun-Times’ Sunday controversy section, complete with a big photo illustration of a cross pendant and everything:

(linked to their site instead of the Sun-Times since they don’t have their Sunday stuff on the webpage yet)

I’m working on a reply to the Sun-Times (I want to gripe about the attention they gave it, not just the content) and trying to get some of my Infidel Guy pals to do the same, but pleeeease please please could you rip it to shreds here? It’d be a nice change of pace from the God Squad, and it might help me get over this acute case of psychosomatic stomach flu I seem to have come down with from reading it.

3. alva goldbook
    August 21st, 2005 @ 6:22 am

wow, some folks ::cough cough Lacy Muff cough cough:: sure knows how to convert dem useless pagans. in any case, I’m not exactly an atheist, but I’m not a raving Christian luniatic either. After the 2004 election I started reading the Bible, and it wasn’t before long that I realized that if Jesus was around today he’d be bitch-slapping 99% of his followers.

For an interesting read on what I’m talking about, check this out:

The Politics of Jesus And The Oxymoron That Is

4. Vernichten
    August 21st, 2005 @ 7:58 am

YAP YAP. Glad you’re still reading Lucy, my yapping little dog. How much do you pay for internet access? Just wondering.

You make a good point, alva. If you were super-powerful, like Superman or the Christian god Jesus, would you want these snivelling sycophants that call themselves Christians as your followers?

5. Jennifer
    August 21st, 2005 @ 10:06 am

Mijae, why don’t you post it in the Forum under Atheist news.

6. a different tim
    August 21st, 2005 @ 10:51 am

She must have hand typed all that out!! half way down there’s a typo. Apparently “Esus” is lord as well. I thought it was a guitar chord.
    Lucy, next time use copy and paste. It’s a lot easier.
    Lucy, next time use copy and paste. It’s a lot easier.
    Lucy, next time use copy and paste. It’s a lot easier.

7. Debbie
    August 21st, 2005 @ 11:20 am

Lucy,

We all know you’re a fake, but just for fun I thought I should point out Matthew 6:7 ” … use not vain repetitions, as the heathen [do]: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking”

8. Vernichten
    August 21st, 2005 @ 12:12 pm

It’s no shit, Esus is lord
    for real

9. a different tim
    August 21st, 2005 @ 12:32 pm

It’s true!
    That’s both fantastic and, somehow, quite scary.
    for real.

10. MBains
    August 21st, 2005 @ 12:34 pm

Alva, that is a Great Piece man!

Thanks!

And I really appreciate your take on the Sweeney bloggin’ RA. Good stuff boss. There’re now 3 of my own comments on DP’s list. WTF…?? Thanks!

11. MBains
    August 21st, 2005 @ 5:19 pm

Phil Plait at Bad Astonomy just posted that there is an auction on eBay for tickets to have dinner with James Randi. Why would you care? Julia Sweeney will be sitting at the same table.

12. Paul
    August 21st, 2005 @ 8:54 pm

I’m not clear on exactly what Lucy is trying to say.

13. Debbie
    August 21st, 2005 @ 10:18 pm

Vernichten,

Lucy is full of bull, therefore Esus is a more appropriate deity for her that Jebus.

14. Vernichten
    August 21st, 2005 @ 11:19 pm

I left a message at the dawn patrol. I wonder if it will be deleted. In one of her sanctimonious posts she reveals that an interaction between her and an autistic child made her think of God’s relationship with people he’s trying to reach.
    Here’s my comment including part of her post first, but I encourage everyone to read her wonderful blog:

“I think that must be what it’s like for God, trying to reach us”

I am a high-functioning autistic and I think it’s pretty crass to compare your relationship with the autistic girl to God’s relationship with those whom God is “trying to reach”.
    It certainly seems self-righteous to compare yourself with God in any event, but to believe you are so far above the handicapped is pretty sickening.

Here’s a link to her post:

15. Lucy Muff
    August 22nd, 2005 @ 2:57 am

by the way, debbie, eat my cooch infidel whore idiot

16. Vernichten
    August 22nd, 2005 @ 8:04 am

Lucy Muff seems to have demonstrated a capacity to learn. It looks like she might now be using copy and paste, just as a different tim suggested. This ability to make use of new information puts Lucy above most fundies and up to the level of advanced mammal. Keep this up, Lucy, and you’ll be tying your shoes in no time.

17. Paul
    August 22nd, 2005 @ 9:15 am

Ah, now I’ve got it, thanks for the clarification, Lucy.

18. Debbie
    August 22nd, 2005 @ 9:37 am

Lucy,

Now you are sounding like a real fundie.

The statement JESUS IS LORD repeated over and over is followed by “eat my cooch infidel whore idiot”.

Thanks for the kind offer, but I don’t respond positively to being called an idiot.

Can you explain it these two sentences

19. Debbie
    August 22nd, 2005 @ 9:40 am

Oops, ignore the last line in the previous post.

20. leon
    August 22nd, 2005 @ 10:57 am

Lucy Muff

Stop masturbating while your other hand is on the keyboard!

21. Diamonddille@yahoo.com
    August 22nd, 2005 @ 6:24 pm

I guess IF I wrote Jesus is Lord that many times, I’d have him memorized by now too. Now we see how Atheists are made any way, Fanatics ruin it for any believe system. Knowledge is not Data,is it? IT is certainty…
    For those of you that are not on the view point that there is not a God or Higher Self, I’d like you to tune into the late night radio Show Coast To Coast am starting at 10:00pm Pacific time,Every night. Just tune your dial when you hear someone talking subjects you are not used to hearing, you have found it. He has million’s of listeners, They talk about UFO’s, Past Lifes, Out OF body Experiences, Near Death experiences, The latest in Science and Generally fasinating subjects in all, There are some shows that are hard to swallow, but look at it as entertaining, for those you don’t necessatry agree with. The reason I suggest it, If for example you ever had an out of body experience, and you just found your self floating and/or scared to death you know it is a normal experience, that millions of people have them all the time. If you have had one, then you know your not just your body. If that ever happens to you at some point, then it might be real that you are a spirit, and the idea of God who is suppose to be a spirit also, is not so crazy. You never know when you might have that religious experience. It looks to be a strange phenomena, but when you can do it at will, you will realize that is who you really are,floating out of your body, you can just know, and that is what a spiritual being can do, Just know. Of course he has to have other abilities, but with higher perceptions, that is all natural too. This is all new concepts for this period of our evolution, but once, everyone, believed the earth was flat. Believe systems are subject to change, But observing for your self will give you certainty, in your self, after all that is all sanity is, The insane, doesn’t know who or where he is. When you become totally sane you will see who you really are, and what it is all about, Then you will know for yourself,why man in General is crazy and does crazy things, and why we have so much termoil around us. It doesn’t have to be. That is what is contained in Scientology, the technology, to set us all free, by freeing you,(The Being, The spirit, The Thetan) It can only be done on an individual basis. Just look that in 300 years, what is new and unusual thinking for us now, will also be normal for that society, when that time period comes you will know too, unless you want to go up the bridge in Scientology,you could know in a few years. It is the greatest adventure, you can imagine, The concepts that you will come across, man at current level will definately reject, but that is his loss. You know your getting your spiritual abilities back, and that is how you know if one is really growing. If your perception is so low, you think you are still a body. I don’t blame you for being an atheist. After all truth is what is true for you. But there are higher perception levels, and everyone ares at the level they are at. You can see the wino type person agrees with the wino type person, look at his abilities as you are more perceptive. He can’t see. He won’t agree with you, but you know It takes awareness to see awareness. When you have your fathers view point, you have grown up to his level.That is how degraded a spiritual being can become (A wino), a totally degraded human being, That is really a spiritual being and he hasn’t a clue. That same phenomena knows no height, That is the path way to God, increased perception of our selves. Our Fixed Ideas our Fixed Believe systems, tell us that we know, if we know we quit looking, don’t we? In other words we quit growing. That is crazy, it is along ways to God, don’t Belittle him , by saying you know him. If you really did you would be at the same ability level again. When you grow up to your fathers level,(or in this case our spiritual father), you would have his viewpoint, wouldn’t you? You would also have his abilities too. Water seeks its own level. The key thing to look at is ones perception level, the higher in perception, the greater his abilities,ethics level, responsibility level, sanity level, Understanding level (LOVE FOR MAN) Create level and havingness level. Something to think about, till you too ,have the ability to know. That is the big prize in life. Too know. But when you know something you are cause over it arent you? “You cannot be the adverse effect of something you know about),LRH .Think about it? Real KNOWLEDGE gives us abilities…

22. Rob
    August 22nd, 2005 @ 6:51 pm

Diamonddille, I’ve had OBE’s. They may seem to be what they imply, but its just your mind playing tricks on you. You can’t see without a lens, so if OBEs really occured, you’d see a floating lens at the OBEer’s point of sight. Ouch, a scientologist? Why don’t you join the forum and discuss your viewpoint?

23. Diamonddille
    August 22nd, 2005 @ 10:15 pm

Thanks Rob for reading my book there, Id be glad to. My first OBE was when I was 12 years old. IT had such a profound effect on me, that I spent my early life trying to find out what happened, as it was a very real experience. I am 53 now and have had many of them over my life, and in Fact When I attested to “Clear” (a very real “state of Being”) back in 1979 I was Stabily exterior to by body for 3 whole days. Those three days had another profound effect on my life and, has been my guiding factor to go up the O.T. levels. You see in Scientology YOU attest to the level your doing.(There are those that aren’t honest with them selves so don’t make the gains) I always suspected that by the time I was an OT 8 ( a very high level in Scientology, There about 15 of them) I would probably be stabily exterior, just like those 3 days. Those 3 days I could not be introverted. I even walked down Hollywood Boulavard totally exterior. I never Drank since. I always have been to some degree exterior ever since I felt a natural high. To drink just made me feel worse any drug would too…( I can relate to Tom Cruise There) I could always be the life of the party you might say, I feel good and it shows, I was in the moment, my mind was sharp, I knew what to do and say to handle any thing that came my way, but the best thing out of that experience was I realized that everything that happened to me, I caused, or to make it realistic, what ever I had in my mind, just came about. People put a lot of figure figure into ther lives and effort, effort, but when you are exterior or at that state of Being, Life is effortless, things you want, just happen, I hope I am communicating, I have always since then have wanted everyone to experience that, It gives you a great attitude and good things just always happen for you. Scientology worked for me, if there is a better way, I haven’t run across it. To see people putting it down, just reminds me of a lynching in the old days where the group took matters into there own hands. Well “group think” is insanity, They will never come up with good solutions. Life is about coming up with good solutions, Your decisions follow you the rest of your life. In a nut shell ones past is full of decisions, and they are still determining your life you have just forgot about them. Auditing (where a trained auditor,one who knows how the mind works and can fix it), gets you in touch with your past and gets you exterior to your negitive mind and you all of a sudden will see why such and such always happens to you. It is a good thing. Jesus said forgive them father, they no not what they are doing. The same applies here in our time, with the garbage I hear out there about Scientology. Man people have no idea. It is total insanity against the group, that has the only technology on this planet, in a big enough scale , they can do something about the insanity out there. PEOPLE look at the insanity out there, Road rage, Domestic Violence, arguments, stress, terrorism, War,Fighting over who is right and who is wrong. (There all wrong, The can’t none of them see what it is all about). War is a product of insane beings. Communication is the solvent of all problems,LRH. Not Bullets, That is just solid communication from beings that are so into the physical it is very solid. The physical is solid because that is all we can see, It is not a truth, It is an illusion, and your own mind makes it the way it is for YOU. We live in a very materialistic society. It don’t have to be hard, It don’t have to be Hell. Opps I think I am sounding like a preacher, sorry. That is only my viewpoint, If you are at my perception level you will agree, if you aren’t you won’t. That point if you understand is the secret to peace, to rise mans conciousness up. If mans concousness rises he will become aware of spiritual phenomena more and more and become aware of the spititual laws, that all religions basically agree on. What people agree with is because of there perception. There is no top on awareness. Having the same Perception is why groups agree. Remember if you were a (wino) at his perception, you would agree with him, if your at a higher perception you automatically see more of the truths and you survive better. Hope that helps give you a better understanding . If you understand that there are higher perceptions levels… LRH Designed certain processes and auditing techniques to open our spiritual eyes to see the natural spiritual laws around us, if we see them we automatically survive at a higher level and communicate automatically to those that can see the same phenomena. It really is a good thing, but you must take the time to understand. As it is all subjective, yet it manifests in the physical level, if we have the same perception also to see it. That’s why it takes awareness to see awareness… Society is not very aware at this time period, (more so than before)That is why a lot don’t agree with Scientology. To become a black belt takes al ot of disciplain, only the Brown belt will appreciate what he has learned. The Same with Scientology, it is tough to change it takes disciplain, 95% don’t have the disciplaine required to change, period. That is why only the 5% of us make it at any thing. What is that saying “By the time we are 65, 95% of us are either dead or dead broke”. Realize if you want to be the 5% you have to pick a path and get on with the show and appreciate the hell out of any one no matter what path, there on, That they are growing, That is the purpose of this physical level, to grow out of it, That is what religion is all about. Just because your perception isn’t up to seeing something, don’t mean it doesn’t exist, especially if others are starting to say something does exist. We never listen to our parents either, but we grew to realize what they were saying was true, Didn’t we. It is along way to GOD. In Scientology, you can go in that Direction, In 3 years you could achieve states of being that nothing is going to strike you down. I talked with someone in the Church about this negitiveness, that I hear out there as I was concerned, They are not the least bit concerned. Truth though fought, in the end Prevails,LRH. Hope that helps. By the way LRH made a path that the other 95% could do. You just have to be honest, with your self, Those you see making a fuss out there are not honest, they are at the same perception of those others that are not honest and have a lot of agreement. Just remember a thief thinks everyone a thief, a criminal thinks everyone a criminal, a lier thinks everyone is a lier, an honest person thinks everyone honest. People of the same perceptions, think the same and are the same, but they are different to someone else at a different level.Look at those that are calling us a scam with that viewpoint,and you won’t go wrong… Who is doing the more right, is all you have to look for…

about.)

24. Diamonddille
    August 22nd, 2005 @ 10:16 pm

about.)

25. Eva
    August 22nd, 2005 @ 11:02 pm

diamond, i wonder…..how much is the church charging you for all of this?

26. hermesten
    August 23rd, 2005 @ 1:07 am

What the fuck, the nuthouse is wired now?

27. a different tim
    August 23rd, 2005 @ 1:30 pm

There’s still an “esus” in there.
    Still, it’s more coherent than Diamonddille.

28. St. Teabag
    August 23rd, 2005 @ 1:36 pm

what??

29. Diamonddille
    August 23rd, 2005 @ 4:13 pm

Sorry for the double colume, It is alot to read, But I assure You, if you took the time to read it thru a few times, it will change your life. We as man cannot have the truth, what I am telling you is at DICK, JANE and SALLY level stuff in the area of personal growth. It takes diciplain and work to change, but I assure you it is worth it. There is more truth contained in that letter, than you will find in many books. If you look at what it is saying, hopefully you will get what I intentended. It is important that you at least understand new concepts, even if you don’t agree with them today. Life is full of experiences and maybe tomorrrow, it will make sence. There is a lot of truth in what I have taken the time, to write. I only do it as I want to help you. No body is paying me, and I hope you value what I am trying to do for you. If it is only derogratory comments, and that is what I get for my efforts, then I know, you don’t want to change. What a shame. IF one ever was to get on the road to truth, the good things he would pull in are are hard to describe. It is our basic purpose. This is a prison for some this physical level, a hell,stuck for ever. Some it is a Reform school and those that are heading towards the conciousness of GOD, it can be a real Heaven. Enjoy your stay. Any place is what you make it. I am only trying to get you to see, That your tomorrow is only the concequences, of what you do to day. So every thing that happened to you to day, YOU Caused to happen to you. That is why what you learn today, will only make your tomorrow that much easier. How easy is your life? If you want to change, I can help, but if my efforts aren’t appreciated, I’ll write else where were it is, I am all over the internet. It cost me lots to learn what I know I am offering it to you for free, as I only want to help. Remember your actions today, determines your tomorrow…

For you Jesus is LORD. You really need to read this. But you already know, so you won’t you have Christ like abilities already, yea right… Fixed ideas is not real knowledge, real knowledge can be demonstrated in the real universe. If you don’t have them with what is comming down on this planet, you won’t survive. Realize you don’t know and open your eyes and learn for real and you will get for real abilities, Now, not in heaven. Heaven is the spiritual universe, when yu die, everyone goes their, at is just your COnciousness, and you can create anything in your conciousness, especially if you have control over your own mind. Ifyou have control over your own mind, you will have contro over your own life. Jesus said you will know them by ther fruits. Fruits means what they produce, which has everything to do with oones abilities. With that concept in mind re read the bible and see if it don’t help, The truth is in ther, but man at the lconciousness of man, cannot see. Spiritual things cannot be in the mind of a physical being, That is why you have to get out side your self. OBE ot really know anything. If your inspired or in the spirit, you can understand, so be in the spirit and understand what I am saying Here. You as a group have to come up to a higher conciousness or othrr wise You are going to be destroyed by the Islamic faiths who also have the same problem, low Counciouness. Christ said he would be back, But realize man is going to have to be at a higher conciousness, before he does, so lets get to work on it, we have the technlogy now to raise mans conciousness. I sure wouldn’t come back to a group , that just hung me, if I knew they hadn’t grown up and was now able to have the truth, of what I really want them to know. If the thinking hadn’t change in 2000 years, they are not growing… Remember when you grow you acquire new ABILITIES.

30. Debbie
    August 23rd, 2005 @ 5:07 pm

Lucy,

Lord Jesus is still. What do you expect, he’s been dead for nearly two thousand years? Or did you leave out something … “a scam”, “a delusion”?

31. St. Teabag
    August 23rd, 2005 @ 5:46 pm

I can’t tell if Lucy or diamondasshole is more in need of medical help/drugs/a good kicking, but I do know that they can both perform an orally administered colonic on a 400 lb shut in and still not match the amount of shit that usually travels the other way out of their mouths

32. Diamonddille
    August 23rd, 2005 @ 7:28 pm

Obviousy, Your Content to be the way you are, So is the Wino as long as he has his booze. I can see the caliber of beings on this site, so BYE… You can’t Duplicate, so your Trapped, Enjoy… I was only trying to help, I could of showed you how you could make an easy $3000-$5000 a week, but your happy, so I can’t..Your Trapped at your havingnesss level and knowledge level and wonder why live treats you so…

33. Philip
    August 23rd, 2005 @ 8:02 pm

Of course the funniest thing about Julia mangling the pig and demon reference is that she had just spoken of how the Illiad had more wisdom to give her than the Bible. Jesus did not turn men into pigs, but Circe did turn men into pigs in Homer’s Odyssey. D’oh!

And her latest rant about “these Christians” this and “these Christians” that leaves me almost speechless. She comes off like a political ideologue, using “Christian” as a slur against her enemies. And then the implication that Christians, now that she’s whittled them down to basically FOXNEWS, have never learned to consider their fellow man — from the woman who was really sorry for the PIGS! I guess we could just tell her old Church to close their schools (where they do teach evolution) and hospitals and orphanages, and every other charitable wing and sign up with NARAL, and call it a day.

34. St. teabag
    August 24th, 2005 @ 3:36 pm

Oh no diamond diddler is not going to show us how to make a ton of money from home, risk free! What have we done. Repent everyone and maybe he will change his mind (if I had his mind I would certainly change it). I bet he’s of somewhere nobbing lucy muff right now.

35. hermesten
    August 25th, 2005 @ 9:53 am

Teabag, I will tell you how you can make $3-5k a week from home, and all you have to do is send me a money order for $100. It’s simple retail sales, high margin, no gimmicks. Might be a little risky though.

36. hermesten
    August 25th, 2005 @ 9:55 am

Hint: our illustrious president made money this way at Yale. See, if you know your recent US history, you don’t even have to part with $100.

37. St. Teabag
    August 25th, 2005 @ 2:15 pm

Hermesten, I wouldn’t have to do anything dirty would I? I mean, I want themoney, but I’m afraid of divine retribution later (from the IRS that is)

38. hermesten
    August 25th, 2005 @ 3:17 pm

Teabag, it depends on what you mean by “dirty.” I’m not proposing cleaning out septic tanks or anything. You don’t think Der Chimpenfurher would get “dirty” to you? If any dirty work is entailed, you get your henchmen to do it for you. And just pay the taxes you owe, and you won’t have to worry about the IRS.