Gay Atheists Defame Top Priest

August 11, 2005 | 25 Comments

New York, New York
Special to The Raving Atheist

A high-ranking New York priest who frequently presides over Mass at St. Patrick’s Cathedral in Edward Cardinal Egan’s absence has been defamed by lying homosexual atheists, who accuse him of engaging in a home-wrecking affair with his 46 year old secretary.

The charges against 79 year old Monsignor Eugene Clark — a vocal proponent of the theory that gays are responsible for destroying heterosexual marriages — were raised in the course of a divorce action by the secretary’s atheistically queer husband, Philip DeFilippo. However, the only “evidence” cited by Mr. DeFilippo was (1) a videotape of the priest and Mrs. DeFilippo entering a hotel and exiting it five hours later, (2) a registry indicating that they stayed there under assumed names, and (3) the lying godless lesbian testimony of the couple’s daughter that she walked into a darkened room and discovered her mother sitting in the priest’s lap wearing a satin teddy.

Clark’s attorney unambiguously and emphatically denied the claims, calling them “contrived.” In his defense, Monsignor Clark reissued a statement he made in 1999, suggesting that it might contain the true reasons for the DeFilippo’s marital woes:

[Homosexuals are] the enemy of Christian marriage and Christian falling in love and all the tenderness that goes with that….They are saying, ‘Don’t pay attention to that business of permanence and fidelity.'”

Fidelity [is a] A serious business. We say faithful meaning faithful to one’s spouse. Faithful to my wife. Faithful to my husband that I will not wander . . . I will not be unfaithful in the sense of having a sexual union with someone else and thinking it of no account. It’s a shocking injury to your spouse and that’s what the Lord is telling us. It destroys family confidence and trust.”

Where are you at 45 if you’re a wife who preferred a handsomer, more interesting man than the man you married?” Clark asks. “If your children are deprived of a father or mother because of your strong desire, you’ve done something terrible to them . . . No way you can make it up.”

Comments

25 Responses to “Gay Atheists Defame Top Priest”

1. Jean-Paul Fastidious
    August 11th, 2005 @ 1:35 pm

Well, at least they stopped raping little boys. Considering it took them three hundred years to admit they were wrong with that whole Galileo affair (actually, it appears they haven’t really), this is an impressive rate of progress.

2. Mookie
    August 11th, 2005 @ 2:15 pm

“gays are responsible for destroying heterosexual marriages”

If a homosexual is in the closet, yet married or partnered to the opposite sex, and then one day comes out of the closet and leaves their spouse, then yes, one could see how they destroy “heterosexual” marriages. But this is more a function of homophobia and the stifling climate it creates. If homosexuals didn’t have to worry about what others thought of them, they would be more willing to state their sexual preferences, and avoid “keeping up appearances” “heterosexual” marriages that are doomed to failure.

3. boywonder
    August 11th, 2005 @ 6:32 pm

Come on, RA. I don’t see how this or the THOUSAND other examples you have shown of individual hypocrisy in the Christian church has any bearing on the faith itself. All Christians will tell you “it’s do what I say, not what I do”. Just because an overwhelming number of Christian leaders are sometimes greedy, fallible, lieing, cheating, hateful, boy-poking, assholes, doesn’t mean the religion itself is bad. Those people are just bad seeds. They were already corrupt before Christianity got a hold of them. God knew it all along, ofcourse, but he was just testing us. Wow! That God is so mysterious! Oh, yeah- and it’s all homosexuals’ fault for everything. God didn’t make them homosexuals, they chose the path of satan and buttlove.

4. SH
    August 11th, 2005 @ 6:45 pm

Atheists and homosexuals – you can’t get any worse than that… They would stop at nothing to smear the good names of God loving folks. It’s evil, just pure evil. ;-)

5. MBains
    August 12th, 2005 @ 10:56 am

… they chose the path of satan and buttlove.

Mmmmm… buttlove! One of my “gamer” id’s used to be the MyTButHamr. Ka Boom!!! Don’t “knock it” ’til you’ve tried it eh.

6. HarryIsAlwaysRight
    August 12th, 2005 @ 3:54 pm

Have to kind of agree with boywonder. I don’t think it does much good to point out all the silly positions, events and opinions religious faith promote. I think it’s important as atheists to point out why religious faith itself is ridiculous. Name calling, and “Let’s laugh at how silly the christians are.” kind of stories only make the theistically minded switch off and assume we’re satan loving evil doers.

We’ve all believed something stupid at some point. People can be very gullible. Let’s just keep pointing out how unfounded faith is and eventually the evidence will get through to everyone. It is happening. Slowly.

7. hermesten
    August 12th, 2005 @ 5:42 pm

We’re not all Satan loving evildoers? Speak for yourself. I love Satan, or at least the idea of Satan, since Satan doesn’t really exist.

Making light of Christians can be fun, if done properly. Kissing Christian ass isn’t going to pay off anyway. The majority of Christians think negatively of you just because you don’t believe what they believe. What’s more, many things which are “normal” to you are “evil” to them –such as rejecting Jesus– so there is no way you can prevent these people from believing you are a Satan loving evildoer.

I also don’t believe that the majority of these people are susceptible to “evidence.” The US seems to be getting more religious, or, if not more religious as a whole, developing a larger, more intolerant, more anti-intellectual, more anti-humanistic, and more strident, vocal, and radical minority. In terms of religion, other places in the world are: 1) either worse (Turkey, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, India, some places in Latin America); better merely because: 2) they never had the same kind of anti-intellectual religious influences we have in the US to begin with (Asia); or, 3) better because after centuries of religious wars and Church oppression in alliance with repressive governments, there was a reaction against the Church during some social upheaval (Russia, France, and other European countries); or, 4) a combination of the or 2) and 3).

8. rev_holy_fire
    August 12th, 2005 @ 7:50 pm

atheists and homosexuals are destroying America.
    By preaching that humans come from monkeys, they can justify their perverse sexual practices and evil doings.
    Atheists and homosexuals are destroying the moral fabric of America.

9. Vernichten
    August 12th, 2005 @ 9:01 pm

rev_holy_fraud,

priests, pastors and religious zealots are destroying America.

By preaching that humans can be forgiven any sin through lip service to their moral superior(s), they can justify their perverse sexual practices and evil doings.

Priests, pastors and religious zealots are destroying the moral fabric of America.

10. With 10% more blasphemy
    August 12th, 2005 @ 10:50 pm

Wow rev, nice to see you tooling around at the atheist site again. I bet you’re sitting in front of your PC, sublimely smearing KY warming gel all over your body, chortling maniacally about the eternally damned while smoking a doob. Remember friend, puff puff give…

11. Snap Crafter
    August 12th, 2005 @ 11:04 pm

Woah, rev was serious? I thought he was kidding around! How can anyone really believe that anymore?

12. HarryIsAlwaysRight
    August 13th, 2005 @ 9:51 am

Fair call hermesten, i live in the UK. I think reason just about presides here. I know, i know, what about the bombings? Ignorance and anger are unhealthy friends.

p.s. I wasn’t suggesting for a second that we should kiss christian ass (or arse as we say), just that name calling makes people switch off. But you’re right of course, some people do seem beyond reason. Good to point out to them that they are by definition, unreasonable.

13. hermesten
    August 13th, 2005 @ 4:23 pm

The fact that you’re in the UK doesn’t surprise me. Calls such as yours, for more civility towards Christians, are almost invariably from people in the UK or New Zealand, or Canada, or Austrailia. I think this is because you’re not used to dealing with the great number of religious nutters we have to deal with over here. The word “Christian” just doesn’t mean the same thing in the US that it means in other countries. And after all, religious zealots –our “Pilgrims”– came to this country originally because they weren’t allowed to practice their intolerance in Britain.

Come over here, spend a year or two in a place like Oklahoma, and I can assure you that you will go home not just flabbergasted by how crazy these people really are, but given the power of this country and how these idiots are pandered to, truly frightened for the future of your country and the rest of the world.

14. greeseyparrot
    August 14th, 2005 @ 3:11 am

I not sure pandered to is the correct term when, as polls of Americans repeatedly show, the loons are in the majority. No, what is truly horrifying is that we are vastly outnumbered. Believe me if I had any facility at all for language, and a vocational skill that would help me find work, I’d this minute be applying for a permanent visa to somewhere like Sweden. There less than 10% of the populace believe in a deity. Now that is heaven!

15. hermesten
    August 14th, 2005 @ 10:34 am

greesey, I’d do the same, and I think it’s smart to look into what is required to emigrate. And you may not need the language skills if you go to someplace like New Zealand.

16. rev_holy_fire
    August 14th, 2005 @ 3:06 pm

Read the new testament. Jesus is real, he is God, and the four gospels prove it.

17. Vernichten
    August 14th, 2005 @ 8:05 pm

The only thing the gospels “prove” is that some people will believe anything.

18. hermesten
    August 15th, 2005 @ 11:10 am

An interesting article, by a former fundie, on penetrating the hermetic self-supporting fundie belief system, here:

Being a Prot Fundie

19. hermesten
    August 15th, 2005 @ 11:22 am

Trying again:

Being a Prot Fundie

20. DamnRight
    August 17th, 2005 @ 10:40 am

I’m not real sure that the “majority” isn’t made up of a whole bunch of dissimilar (even contradictary) belief systems that simply lump themselves together to gain “majority” political status… my experience is, each sect believes the other is off base & going to hell… but, when it comes to the political arena, they form this unholy alliance… very similar to any Survivor episode… basically, I can’t win on my own, so I’ll get in bed with someone I despise in order to strengthen my position… so, take the 90% they claim to hold & divide it by the number of disparate belief systems & you get a bunch of 2-5% minority views…

21. hermesten
    August 17th, 2005 @ 11:21 am

Greesy is just saying the “loons are in the majority,” not any particular species of loons. Doesn’t much matter to me exactly what all the nuts believe, just that they agree to impose the aspects of their nuttiness they agree about, on me (and they agree about way too much for me to worry about where they don’t agree).

22. ympe
    August 18th, 2005 @ 8:54 am

To Rev Holy Fire:
    The “Gospels” are no more real than the Pentatauch, or the Hermes Trismegetan (I forget the correct spelling). Anything that we have not seen firsthand, at first or second publishing, can only be taken as hearsay, accepting its positions only if it is logical, sensible, and leads us to treat others rightly, fairly and justly. To say that “atheism and homosexuality” are destroying the fabric of America is bunk. Go read your history–using the above criteria for books of course–you will see that many of the founding fathers and mothers were anything but your brand of bible-toting fundamentalists. Oh, and don’t forget the gays, like Alexander Hamilton, who wanted to form the first Central Bank in America. Oh, and don’t forget the gays, like Baron Von Steuben of Prussia, who trained the American militia to go on to win the War of Separation from Mother England. Atheists are good for America because they THINK! “Faggots and Lezzies” are good for America because they THINK! They each question social mores and moral tenets. They each rebel to ensure all people are treated with dignity. And for the record, I’m a queer, I’ve been a fundamentalist who has been rescued out of that nonsense, and I’m a Humanist. Cheers!

23. ympe
    August 18th, 2005 @ 8:55 am

To Rev Holy Fire:

24. jahrta
    September 9th, 2005 @ 2:53 pm

Hermesten – a note about loons

They’re the state bird of Minnesota, where I live, and they go sublimely with a subtle roasted apricot sauce.

Bon Apetit

Your pal,

-Jah’rta

25. Eva
    September 9th, 2005 @ 4:50 pm

……i thought the mosquito was the state bird of mn….