Flying Spaghetti Monster

August 25, 2005 | 16 Comments

Who started this whole flying spaghetti monster business in the Forums? That phrase has now even surpassed “atheist” as the top search word in my referral logs.

Cut it out. Recall that this site is dedicated to disproving the existence of some contrived, ridiculous invisible being in which no sane person could possibly believe. Please stay on topic.

Comments

16 Responses to “Flying Spaghetti Monster”

1. GenghisDirt
    August 25th, 2005 @ 12:36 pm

I agree. Although the FSM website gave me the serious giggles when I first came across it, it’s becoming a little grating now. I sometimes wonder if the debate with theists is seriously harmed by the impression that we (atheists) are just making fun of them without actually refuting their ideas. While it’s true that it’s hard NOT to make fun of them (I mean… it’s just so easy!) it doesn’t really help the dialogue if the main conversational sticking point is simply “You’re dumber than toast.” This leads to the whole “elitist East/West coast liberal conspiracy” mumbo-jumbo… this should not be simply discounted! It’s completely natural for people to react negatively if they feel that they’re just being snickered at. On the other hand; “…if being ‘elitist’ means ‘not the dumbest motherfucker in the room’, then call me an elitist!” (David Rees).

2. Mijae
    August 25th, 2005 @ 1:31 pm

Well I got the joke. ; )

3. Jennifer
    August 25th, 2005 @ 1:37 pm

Genghisdirt – “The fanatic can not be reasoned with, only converted” The True Beleiver. Unless you are planning your own intense cult practices, I suggest you enjoy FSM.

4. GW
    August 25th, 2005 @ 1:39 pm

FSMism is an acceptable description of the designer behind intelligent design, and should be taught in Kansas’ schools. C’mon … say noodly appendage out loud without laughing … i dare ya.

5. AK
    August 25th, 2005 @ 2:30 pm

I think the Discovery Institute should take up this flying spaghetti monster idea and include it in their ID arguments. After all, it will finally give some kind of substance, some kind of positive identification of this “intelligence” that created everything.

And after all, whats not intelligent about spaghetti? Its delicious and nutritious!

6. hermesten
    August 25th, 2005 @ 3:11 pm

“I sometimes wonder if the debate with theists is seriously harmed by the impression that we (atheists) are just making fun of them without actually refuting their ideas.”

What “debate?” I’d consider myself fortunate if I could get a rational conversation out of most theists. All I get is “sermons,” followed, if you ask any challenging questions, first by astonishment, then fits, and ending in flight. Like Jennifer says, there is no reasoning with fanatics, so sometimes you just have to settle for the fun of pissing them off and sending them on their way.

7. Dave
    August 25th, 2005 @ 4:18 pm

elitist – this word used to mean someone who thought that they were better than other people by virtue of birth (inherited station in life). For example, W. In the Thomas Hardy book Jude the Obscure, Jude, a stonecutter educates himself and applies to University. The upper class twits running admissions told him to stick to his trade.

By the new definition of elitist – Jude would be considered an elitist for learning.

I say we bring back the old meaning.

8. Dave
    August 25th, 2005 @ 6:26 pm

I say, “Please stay on topic” is too funny.

9. PanAtheist
    August 26th, 2005 @ 12:34 pm

I love the Flying Spagetti Monster!
    I think it is one of the best things we have!

It has great appeal!
    And especially to kids!

Tell them about the Flying Spagetti Monster,
    and they’ll instantly forget that silly nonsense about …
    … what was that stuff about?

10. PanAtheist
    August 26th, 2005 @ 12:35 pm

I love the Flying Spagetti Monster!
    I think it is one of the best things we have!

It has great appeal!
    And especially to kids!

Tell them about the Flying Spagetti Monster,
    and they’ll instantly forget that silly nonsense about …
    … what was that stuff about?

11. Debbie
    August 26th, 2005 @ 12:55 pm

Yaaaaarrr! The FSM had me at “full pirate regalia”.

12. MBains
    August 26th, 2005 @ 3:10 pm

Right you are Dave! “Please stay on topic” is what set me to prayin’ to the FSM for some noodley guidance on how to respond.

Alas, I’m back to my atheistic thinkin’…

13. Nano Leon
    August 30th, 2005 @ 2:05 am

Ok, here goes. Religion basically makes it seem ok to die. It is not! When you die, there is a chance that your counsciousness ceases to exist. Religion is trying to stop our science from reaching its full potential, which is Immortality.

Instead of wasting all this time IMAGINING there is a GOD and praying/going to church/ or whatever mental hang-up you go through to make you feel better, why not actually contribute to curing or fixing the thing that killed your loved ones?

Example: Mom dies of liver cancer. The church tries to squash the possible cure (stem cells) which could probably be developed in a very few years. But a group of delusional people insist they are all-knowing about a group of cells in a petrie dish, therefore thwarting the advancement of science and contributing to the killing of millions of people. This is why people hate Christians. So everytime you wonder why, now you know.

When sceince can (and it will) do everything you imagine your God can do, why would you need that God anymore? Religion cannot survive; it can only hamper the scientific process in hopes to buy a little more time.

Regards

Leon

14. WotsisnameinLondon
    August 31st, 2005 @ 10:06 am

At least one point about FSM has been missed here.

Probably the most harmfull of Religions are the mono-theistic versions (Christianity, Islam, Judaism etc etc) in that not only do they profess a “Truth” but they also expressly deny any other forms of belief as valid. Each religion has its agressive followers and this leads to conflict, dead bodies and all the other nasty things we do to each other in the name of the God of Love. Pan-theistic religions are less harmfull because, by definition, they are not exclusive. Once you allow the existence of many Gods the opportunity for nutcases to go around killing non-believers is diluted (although sadly, not removed entirely).

FSM has found the weakness in Intelligent Design (ID). By decoupling ID from the existing of a One True God, which was necessary to get past the separation of Church and State rules in the US, the proponents of ID left a loophole for the existence of more than one ID which has been exploited by FSM.

Finally (sorry to prattle on so much) FSM is also truly funny especially the Blake parody. Once you start laughing at something, it becomes less threatening. Here in the UK our dear Prime Minister is a proponent of Faith Organisations (clever avoidance of the R word) to take a bigger role in Society. Having an active interest in matters aeronautical, I have been proposing the formation of the Salvation Airforce. It is still in its infancy but at least we won’t need expensive things like aircraft.

Have fun and remember, things can change quicker than you can imagine. Only a few years ago, if you met a person walking down the road shouting to themselves you would be right to question their sanity. Now they are just another Mobile Phone user.

15. DepDon
    September 9th, 2005 @ 5:12 pm

You morons, you condemn religious people for being fanatics and stopping science? You guys are doing just the same thing, I mean all you do is complain about believers. So let them be, I personally dont believe in anything but science, but I have the open mind to listen to someone who believes. You might not realize that youre being fanatic all over. And the FSM is just a theory created to mock the new school programm of bush. Faith is nothing bad, it helps you clear your mind and gives you hope in life. But people just dont realize that faith is more like something personal and they start to create rituals and rules about it. You so called Atheists do it too because you are closeminded in the fact that there might be something behind scientific boundaries. Just for the info, people believed in a flat world, and if no one had questioned that we would be all europeans or natives, but someone had faith in his theory and it came true. Now i do know that it is a different matter, but maybe we can discover at some point that there is truly an omniescence.

16. DepDon