Chesterton

August 22, 2005 | 12 Comments

Science announced nonentity
And art admired decay;
The world was old and ended:
But you and I were gay.

G.K. Chesterton, The Man Who Was Thursday (1908)

Comments

12 Responses to “Chesterton”

1. Gabriel Mihalache
    August 22nd, 2005 @ 4:33 pm

You’re somewhat queer, my gay friend! ;-)

2. PanAtheist
    August 23rd, 2005 @ 1:02 pm

“Quote of the Day”
    “Question of the Day”
    These are “days” of extensible lengths as in “Genesis” ? ;-)

3. leon
    August 25th, 2005 @ 12:37 pm

In 1908 I think the word ‘gay’ actually meant “Showing or characterized by cheerfulness and lighthearted excitement; merry. ”

4. ProveIt
    August 25th, 2005 @ 9:13 pm

Do you suppose that being that they were gay it had anything to do with the end of the world? They were just sooo happy that it ended the world. No double entendre in 1908?? Good to know…

5. PanAtheist
    August 26th, 2005 @ 10:23 am

I shall always resent anyone using the word “gay” to mean “homosexual”.

“Gay” is such a delightful word, and I would like everyone to be able to use it again, in that delightful, and universal, way.

I wish that everyone would stop using it to talk about sex.

Anyone honourable, who remember the use of the old sense of the word, would fight against people using it to mean anything else.

6. Eva
    August 26th, 2005 @ 11:38 am

…..makes you think about the Brights using that word to mean persons without a supernatural worldview….

7. Jennifer
    August 29th, 2005 @ 7:20 pm

Are you trying to say homosexual is bad? As a liberal I resent that.
    :-)

8. PanAtheist
    August 30th, 2005 @ 6:40 am

Are you teasing me Jennifer?
    I think you are!
    Yet for clarity’s sake, the answer to your question is “No!”
    And “Of course not!”

9. Jennifer
    August 30th, 2005 @ 9:40 am

Yes Pan, I’m messing with you.

10. Aeger
    September 1st, 2005 @ 9:08 pm

I have no problem what so ever with the word gay meaning homosexual, it’s what I grew up with. But to use it to mean stupid, annoying, assholish, and bad in general is just stupid, annoying, assholish and bad in general.

11. (undisclosed)
    September 8th, 2005 @ 5:56 am

Pan, are you gay? If not, then why should you care if people use the word gay to mean homosexual? I, being gay, have no problem with it, so why should you? I believe it was actually the word chosen the gay community to represent them. It’s much easier to say then homosexuals anyway, and sounds better too. I think you should just get over it.

12. Jennifer
    September 8th, 2005 @ 8:53 am

Undisclosed, I was teasing Pan before, but I think I know why it bothers him. He wants to use the word in its older meaning without people beleiving that he is gay. And he doesn’t want people to think that he’s gay because he’s het, just as you wouldn’t want people to think you were het, because you are gay.