Attention Los Angeles

June 2, 2005 | 27 Comments

The God Who Wasn’t There — a documentary by fundamentalist-turned-atheist Brian Flemming — opens in Los Angeles tomorrow as part of the Grassroots Cinema series at the Vine Theater, 6321 Hollywood Blvd. (323-463-6819) near historic Hollywood and Vine. It will run through June 9 on the following schedule:

Friday, June 3, 1:45 pm
Saturday, June 4, 9 pm
Sunday, June 5, 9 pm
Monday, June 6, 3 pm
Tuesday, June 7, 5 pm
Wednesday, June 8, 7 pm
Thursday, June 9, 9 pm

The degenerate premise of this film is that our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, didn’t even exist. Good Christians, storm the theatre every night and pack it to standing-room-only capacity to prevent unsuspecting moviegoers from having their minds corrupted by blasphemy! Make sure that Flemming never sees his name on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, except in spray paint!

Comments

27 Responses to “Attention Los Angeles”

1. AK
    June 2nd, 2005 @ 5:17 pm

OMFG! I am totally going to be there! I live in Los Angeles so this is a perfect opportunity for me. Hallelujah!

2. glenstonecottage
    June 2nd, 2005 @ 6:30 pm

Better stay away from grassy knolls, Brian Flemming. I hear the GodIdiots are heavily armed.

(Didn’t Jesus say something about how everybody should have an assault weapon? You know, it was in that passage where he talked about how bad homosexuality and abortion are, and how God loves rich people best and wants ‘em to get more tax cuts.)

3. ghoulslime
    June 2nd, 2005 @ 6:34 pm

Jesus Popsicle-Sucking Christ! Ghouslime is going to be there. Even if the movie sucks the look on the enraged Christian faces has to be worth the admission!

4. Eva
    June 2nd, 2005 @ 8:24 pm

ak and ghoul:
    i expect full reports.
    this may be OUR version of the passion of the x-ist!

….i wish i lived closer to la…….*sigh*….

5. Jennifer
    June 2nd, 2005 @ 10:27 pm

Only in LA. What is up with that? CA is big state.

6. Jennifer
    June 2nd, 2005 @ 10:30 pm

I’m giving a second look at this list and it’s kind of a funny collection of states. Alabama? Indiana? Florida? I’d like to know how the turn out is there.

And ghoul, don’t you think the audience will be full of ahteists hoping to see theist pain?…all staring at each other hopefully. :)

7. Delta
    June 2nd, 2005 @ 11:10 pm

Jennifer, the reason the state listing is so odd is because the only showings before LA and the one that took place in San Francisco last weekend are from volunteers that are doing screenings of the movie. Those are the states that someone volunteered to do a screening. Although I guess it’s still funny that those states had volunteers when others didn’t ;) It’s a grassroots promotion team that you can get to by http://thegodmovie.com/team/.
           I’m really looking forward to the reviews by whoever goes. I haven’t seen it yet, as I live in Texas.

8. boywonder
    June 3rd, 2005 @ 2:18 am

If the movie plays in Ft. wayne, Indiana, I’ll be there. Possibly even if it is just Indianapolis. I hope TRA lets us know when it will be released on DVD.

9. Antman
    June 3rd, 2005 @ 3:57 am

my grandfather told me a long time ago about how he and also a sizable pool of Historians were unconvinced of Jesus of Nazereth’s existence at all.

As I grew older (I was Jewish, so his existence or not had no bearing on my idea of God) I started seeing merit in this view, but have not seen any books or information on the subject.

Now as a commited atheist, I’m deeply offended by the notion of original sin (which i didn’t know about because the Jewish school of though from where I’m from is that the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil only served to make us mortal, and to give us base urges. Sinning would be giving into these urges. Mitzvot would be doing good works and resisting sins – such as killing or f*&%ing people over – which a sizable amount of Religious Jews do anyway. In fact, off-topic as it is so sorry, most of the Jews involved in fighting Apartheid , like my Grandfather, were secular or atheistic. My grandad still believed in community so my mother got a Jewish education, and she was expected to come up with her own conclusions on the nature of God).

Anyway, back to original sin. It’s an offensive concept, and one that didn’t even have much weight until Paul came along. I don’t go out of my way to influence Christians and the way they think, but if they bring it up, I make them feel damn uncomfortable with the belief that the many good kind people they know will burn in hell, even if they believe in god and believe they have a relationship with him, because they don’t accept a specific version of Jesus the Christ.

Anyway back to the topic, I would very much like to see this movie, but being in Johannesburg is a slight hindrence. I hope it gets released internationally. I’d definately support it and encourage my mates to go and check it out.

By the by, I enjoy your site and will probably comment more in the future.

10. Sternwasllow
    June 3rd, 2005 @ 4:53 am

If this movie is any good, maybe it should be suggested to the Randi foundation to run at the Smithsonian to counter their stupid mistake of showing that Creationist travesty, “Privileged Planet”.

11. SKR
    June 3rd, 2005 @ 10:35 am

I’m sure a large percentage of so-called believers don’t give a rat’s mule about god and religion. They simply go to church/temple on Sunday/Saturday to see and be seen. It keeps the neighbors happy, is good for your business, and gets the family away from the TV for a couple of hours.

SKR

12. DamnRight
    June 3rd, 2005 @ 10:46 am

If theists fill the theatres over & over again (to keep us out)… wouldn’t they be also filling the coffers of the atheist film-makers & producers?… making it more attractive to all movie goers who, as always, will want to see what the fuss is all about…

13. TrixieKatt
    June 3rd, 2005 @ 3:04 pm

Kool, I’m there June 19. This is good enough that I’ll actually make the trip into deepest darkest Virginia (a DC native’s nightmare).

It’s not listed anwhere on the theater’s own website. Et tu, Cinema Arts? Chicken?

14. D-MoN
    June 3rd, 2005 @ 3:26 pm

You’re damn right… uh DamnRight. Nothing like a protest that actually HELPS the cause you’re trying to rally against. It’s that sort of backwards logic that has made Religion a laughing stock over the years.

15. hermesten
    June 3rd, 2005 @ 3:41 pm

For those like D-MoN and others who subscribe to the notion that religion “is a laughing stock,” read this article by Matt Tabbi. A key quote: “This is a mistake, and it is the same mistake people have made for centuries: underestimating the American zeal for superstition, for boobism, for living the intellectual lives of farm animals. ”

16. hermesten
    June 3rd, 2005 @ 3:49 pm

DammRight: “If theists fill the theatres over & over again (to keep us out)… wouldn’t they be also filling the coffers of the atheist film-makers & producers?”

This assumes that the Bible Beaters are paying to get in –a moral assumption that in my experience has absolutely no basis because: 1) they often aren’t moral when it costs something; and 2) even when morality and self-interest coincide these people are moral relativists extraordinaire. My intimate knowledge of Christians tells me that there is either no charge for admission, or they are forcing their way in and refusing to pay.

17. AK
    June 3rd, 2005 @ 3:54 pm

I am hoping to go this weekend and if I do, I will tell you all how it was!

18. HexGhost
    June 3rd, 2005 @ 4:15 pm

They are also selling DVDs (taking pre-orders for release on the 6th) at their website: http://www.thegodmovie.com/

19. Paul M. Martin
    June 3rd, 2005 @ 7:42 pm

Anyone have any scholarly references on sources casting doubt on Jesus’ existence? I’d be sort of surprlsed over this. I went to one of our leading divinity schools (U of Chicago), and although all or most of my professors were clerics, they were intellectually fearless – the polar opposite end of the spectrum to right wing conservatives. For example, the course on religion and modernity discussed stuff like the challenge posed by our awareness of the competing absolutist claims of different world religions, and the relationship of science and religion.

Just would have expected to have heard some scholarship on this idea discussed while I was there, if serious scholarship that casts doubt on the historical Jesus exists.

20. Jason Malloy
    June 3rd, 2005 @ 8:16 pm

I think I speak on behalf of all East Coast Infidels when I ask: when do I get mine?

21. DAJ
    June 3rd, 2005 @ 8:55 pm

Paul, the teaching company (www.teach12.com) has some excellent college level courses on audio CD covering many aspects of religion. One of the most interesting is titled “THe Historical Jesus”.

22. gowetnoodle
    June 4th, 2005 @ 1:28 am

So I went to the “premiere” today in LA. It was listed on Brian Fleming’s site as starting at 1:45, but the theater must have changed it to 1pm, so I was late and missed some of the film. Combine that with the maybe 10 people sitting in a theater that probably holds 500 for a totally underwhelming experience.

Anyway, I thought the film was good, but not brilliant. I’m going to go back and see it again from the beginning, tho. Thanks for the heads up, I would’ve missed it without your post.

23. gowetnoodle
    June 4th, 2005 @ 1:52 am

Oh yah, in the movie, he interviews some christians that were outside of a billy grahm rally in pasadena. I happened to be running outside the rose bowl that day and saw people filming… if only I had known.
    If any of you LA peeps want to head out to this thing this weekend, I’m going with a couple friends of mine on sunday. Post on my blog and we’ll meet up.
    Cheers

24. AK
    June 5th, 2005 @ 5:32 am

Well I got to see the movie on Saturday night! Woohoo!

It was great. I was really impressed especially considering its an independent grassroots documentary. Theres a good soundtrack and cool visual/graphical pieces. Brian narrates. The movie is only 62 minutes, which bummed me out, because he doesnt have as much time to get into the details. But he interviews a bunch of people that I was really excited to see on the documentary, including, but not limited to, SAM HARRIS!!! :-D

Brian makes a good case against the divinity of Jesus, makes a good point about faith (one issue that I have tackled before in various essays for my team blog), and interviews various Christians in ways that shed alot of light on the absurdity and inhumanity of their beleifs. If anyone is interested in Christianity, regardless of their pro or con stance, I recommend this film. Its a good film for atheists to watch, and a good film for Christians to watch. I will definitely pick up a DVD copy.

The theater is really big, but there were only 20 to 40 people in there during this film. It was only $8 to see it. Anyone in the Los Angeles area should definitely check it out before its gone!

25. leon
    June 5th, 2005 @ 10:29 am

Paul M. Martin said:

HAHAHAHAHA. I was thinking about this question and was wondering what you think scholarly is. Then it hit me, IS THERE ANY SCHOLARLY SOURSES TO PROVE THAT JESUS ACTUALLY EXISTED?

The answer is no. The burden of proof is on the xtians.

26. glenstonecottage
    June 5th, 2005 @ 6:56 pm

Paul M. Martin, with a name like yours, might you be Canadian?

(US readers may not know that Paul Martin is Canada’s Prime Minister)

In any case, Toronto Star writer and ordained Anglican priest Tom Harpur’s recent book “The Pagan Christ” is attracting a fair bit of attention here in Canada, though perhaps less so in the US.

Harper is not actually a historical researcher but a popular writer on religion. Nevertheless he’s a bright fella (for a theist, I mean) and former Rhodes scholar.

I encourage you to read this review of “The Pagan Christ” and if you decide to puchase the book I’m sure that Harpur will provide scholarly citations of the type you seek.

Personally, as noted by a previous commenter, I believe the burden of proof of Jesus’ historical existence belongs with those who affirm it.

It’s real hard to prove a negative. For example, for many of us at this site, our God is an Invisible Pink Unicorn…. and we challenge YOU to prove that our beloved IPU doesn’t exist!

27. AK
    June 6th, 2005 @ 12:15 pm

Brian Flemmings documentary presented plenty of scholarly evidence against Jesus’s existence, Paul M. Martin.