Viewing Comprehension

March 14, 2005 | 12 Comments

Without watching the new Sam Harris animation, guess which line it ends with:

“Our children are our future . . .

A. . . . let’s teach them to respect all religions.”
B. . . . let’s guide their faith with science.”
C. . . . let’s try not to turn them into dangerous idiots.”
D. . . . let’s not lead them into the past.”

Comments

12 Responses to “Viewing Comprehension”

1. Terri
    March 14th, 2005 @ 11:46 pm

I haven’t watched it, but I have read the book.

My guess would be C.

2. Mijae
    March 15th, 2005 @ 3:47 am

D is the only one that makes sense as a standalone sound bite. It doesn’t actually mean anything, and fills the weak wordplay quota. The others could work in context, but going in cold, I gotta stick with D.

3. MBains
    March 15th, 2005 @ 5:24 am

D.

Sam’s a pretty astute guy. I can’t imagine him saying A. He might say B but I doubt he’d do it for soundbit. I’m sure he’d issue C with a laugh in present company but D sounds like his schtick.

4. jeffazi
    March 15th, 2005 @ 5:09 pm

It’s just gotta be C.

5. Fred Evil
    March 16th, 2005 @ 2:06 am

Well we know for sure it’s not A, and probably not B……C or D it is……

Hehehe……what were they thinking, James 5:15 has nothing that’ll help during surgery!

6. A Theist
    March 17th, 2005 @ 8:38 am

If the children are out future, perhaps we shoulc be concerned that over a million are aborted every year in the US of A alone.

7. A Theist
    March 17th, 2005 @ 8:38 am

8. A Theist
    March 17th, 2005 @ 8:38 am

9. Debbie
    March 17th, 2005 @ 11:50 am

A Theist,

Silly argument and missing the point. I think the point by Sam is that we should give the kids we have the best education possible to protect and improve the development of our society. I’m hoping my kids or their friends can use the fantastic science education they currently receive (because religion doesn’t intrude in their classroom) to contribute toward, for example, a cure for Alzheimers by the time I need it. I don’t think adding a million kids who are poorly educated will help this objective.

10. AK
    March 17th, 2005 @ 1:05 pm

A Theist,

You dont know anything about abortion or the people who have them and their reasons for doing so. Did you know that in societies and communities where abortion is forbidden or agressively discouraged have more homeless people, more criminals, more social problems?

This is because women abort babies when they know they wont be able to properly care for them and raise them right. Also they abort because of health problems or addictions and this decreases the number of babies born with mental of physical deficiencies.

A Theist, when you refuse self-control and self-determination in society, including abortion, you reduce the quiality of that society, and everyone suffers as a result, ESPECIALLY the child that was NOT aborted.

Youre a fucking moron A Theist.

11. MBains
    March 17th, 2005 @ 2:32 pm

Whilst I’ve really got to agree that banning a “chick’s choice” (they’re a band; from Seattle???) on abortion is moronic, I still think its fair to be concerned when the number of abortions becomes a large percentage of pregnancies. NOT for the foetal fatalities, I’m totally on record as finding such a sensitivity to be little more than a religious matter; but because of the mother’s (sometimes father’s) emotional difficulties which are unlikely to be addressed in the event.

In other words, great points made AK. I just don’t know that A Theist deserved the fuckin’ moron moniker. Maybe… I don’t think so in zees case though. (Maybe I’m just in defense cuz I’ve triple posted before myself though…) ;-}

12. Mutt
    March 22nd, 2005 @ 11:18 am

I couldn’t get to the end, since Media Player gave ‘unknown errors’ partway through either version. Coincidence? ;)