But There Wasn’t Any Music

March 29, 2005 | 13 Comments

Submitted by Joanie:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. — Friedrich Nietzsche

Comments

13 Responses to “But There Wasn’t Any Music”

1. Steve
    March 29th, 2005 @ 8:41 pm

And that music is not Green Day; it’s the Holy Spirit…

2. Joanie
    March 29th, 2005 @ 9:18 pm

That’s IS reality!!!Yes, I will keep dancing. Even though Eva thinks I am crazy.

3. Debbie
    March 29th, 2005 @ 9:34 pm

Like a dancing bear at the circus … it instinctively dances in fear for its life when it hears the music.

Dancing bears in the circus “danced” because they had their front feet burnt on hot coals as youngsters while their masters played the tambourine. Traumatized by the experience, they would instinctively dance whenever the familiar tune was heard.

4. Sir Sin-O-Lot
    March 29th, 2005 @ 10:34 pm

Hey, I was drunk so give me a break.

5. sillygoosesuzy
    March 30th, 2005 @ 4:38 am

GUILTY!!!!! hmmm

6. sillygoosesuzy
    March 30th, 2005 @ 4:38 am

Hey Joanie,,, I hear it I hear it!!!!!

7. hermesten
    March 30th, 2005 @ 3:05 pm

“Oh Debbie- knowing that, why did you not protest or rant and rave to authorities? I don’t know but that might make you …..
    GUILTY!!!!! hmmm”

I don’t know WTF that’s supposed to mean, but I sense a giant disconnect with language, and possibly reality.

8. Debbie
    March 30th, 2005 @ 11:06 pm

Suzy,

You don’t know anything about my work against animal cruelty, nor apparently how to write a comprehensible sentence in English.

There’s a shocker … you’re another uneducated, ignorant fundie.

9. hermesten
    March 31st, 2005 @ 3:14 am

Debbie, you’re working against animal cruelty? Good for you. And it’s so very unChristian to be against cruelty, especially to animals.

As to the dancing bear information –what sick sick creatures human beings can be. But then I guess the loving Christian God made us so that we could enjoy torturing less powerful creatures than ourselves, either human or animal.

10. Xianghong
    March 31st, 2005 @ 10:46 am

Aren’t bears supposed to be favoured killing instruments of the Loving Lord especially when punishing kids who make fun of His followers’ receding hairlines?

11. Frank
    March 31st, 2005 @ 4:09 pm

hermesten — of all the criticisms leveled against Christianity I’m not sure I’ve ever run across someone who seems to think it is “unChristian to be against cruelty, especially to animals.” Are you suggesting that Christianity teaches cruelty to animals? If so, I’d like to know from what source you draw such a conclusion. This is a new one on me.

12. hermesten
    March 31st, 2005 @ 4:43 pm

Frank, mostly, I was being facetious. However, I have heard Christians excusing the mistreatment of animals on the basis that animals were put here by God for our use. I am also broadly alluding to such things as ancient Inquisitional techniques, the firey sermons of Jonathan Edwards (who calls those who reject Jesus “wicked,” condemned to the firery pit and the fierce wrath of the Infinite God), the many right-wing Christians who ridicule the concept of animal rights, the fundamentalist Christian penchant for corporal punishment, the acceptance of “sports” like bullfighting, dogfighting, and cockfighting in countries and places, like Spain (bullfighting), Mexico (dogfighting), and South Texas (cockfighting), whose populations are predominately Catholic, the fact that by Christian dogma, animals have no souls, and that there was no prohibition against the mistreatment of animals during the height of Christian power in the Middle Ages (when such cruelty is specifically prohibited by other religions like Buddhism and Islam), the fact that the RSPCA was founded by rationalists like Jeremy Bentham, Christian traffic in slavery, etc, etc. etc. Hyperbole in other words, sort of an atheist joke grounded in actual Christian ambivalence about the treatment of animals.

13. Frank