Peterson Mother Commits Suicide After Reading Atheist Blog

May 3, 2003 | 38 Comments

Modesto, California, May 3, 2003
Special to The Raving Atheist

The mother of pregnant murder victim Laci Peterson killed herself last night after discovering a post by an atheist blogger mocking her grief, according to the Modesto Times. In a suicide note found next to her body, Laci’s mother, Sharon Rocha, said she decided to take her life after reading a parody news story entitled “Holiday Miracle in Laci Peterson Case” from The Raving Atheist blog. The story derided her belief that God chose Good Friday to wash Laci’s legless, decapitated body ashore. Rocha indicated that she found the link to the post in the blog Clubbeaux, which, in turn, she had found through a Google search for “Christianity + Jesus + Love.”

“I have been stripped of my delusions,” the note said. “The universe is a cold, uncaring place in which life is short, meaningless and full of suffering.” Rocha said she became convinced of the hard truth of atheism after reading The Raving Atheist’s Basic Assumptions and various other posts in its archives. “I tried to find some counter-arguments at Clubbeaux, but all I found was mysticism and double-talk,” the note continued. “In fact, he confirmed that there was no more reason to believe in God than in a huge invisible Spirit Turtle at the center of the Milky Way.”

The Raving Atheist laughed at Mrs. Rocha’s plight. “Maybe God will raise her from the dead next Easter,” he said. “Ha, ha, ha, aren’t I funny.”

Comments

38 Responses to “Peterson Mother Commits Suicide After Reading Atheist Blog”

1. Kafkaesqu
    May 4th, 2003 @ 1:29 am

Which brings up an old concern of mine: how is one know when a suicide note is not filled with lies. After all, if you’re a vengeful sort who happens to be so crippled by depression as to take your own life, what’s to stop you?

2. Kafkaesqu
    May 4th, 2003 @ 1:29 am

3. Kafkaesqu
    May 4th, 2003 @ 1:29 am

4. Kafkaesqu
    May 4th, 2003 @ 1:29 am

5. Kafkaesqu
    May 4th, 2003 @ 1:29 am

6. Kafkaesqu
    May 4th, 2003 @ 1:29 am

7. AmbiguouslyJesus
    May 4th, 2003 @ 1:42 am

Well that’s understandable. Ii had a friend who typed those same words into Google and ended up typing a suicide note not soon after.

8. zaynsi
    May 4th, 2003 @ 2:57 am

i think it is a telling sign of character, to see if a person can overlook the way an argument is delivered in favor of appreciating it for its logical merit. on this count your opponent, mr. sims, failed. it is apparent that what he most relishes in debate is the opportunities it affords him to curse & gloat.

now if he follows your link to the basic assumptions page, the tone there is more purely conceptual, which should give him less pretext for levelling condemnations. but what makes me think he could move just as effortlessly into pontificating & condescending…?

the laci peterson case contains its contradictions for the theist point-of-view inherently. highlighting those contradictions with satire & wit does not make raving a. the source of the discomfort.

9. anton
    May 4th, 2003 @ 5:14 am

Ahh, the huge invisible Spirit Turtle at the center of the Milky Way makes another appearance… it must exist. I knew it!

Trying to debate godism with Clubbeaux is like trying to talk to a gibbon.

10. Misanthropyst
    May 4th, 2003 @ 8:33 am

Huge invisible Spirit Turtle, eh? I like it…the marketing possibilities alone…

11. Kafkaesqu
    May 4th, 2003 @ 4:33 pm

Can we please not insult the gibbons.

12. Kafkaesqu
    May 4th, 2003 @ 4:33 pm

Can we please not insult the gibbons.

13. Kafkaesqu
    May 4th, 2003 @ 4:33 pm

Can we please not insult the gibbons.

14. Kafkaesqu
    May 4th, 2003 @ 4:33 pm

Can we please not insult the gibbons.

15. Kafkaesqu
    May 4th, 2003 @ 4:33 pm

Can we please not insult the gibbons.

16. Kafkaesqu
    May 4th, 2003 @ 4:33 pm

Can we please not insult the gibbons.

17. Emily
    May 4th, 2003 @ 9:08 pm

I bet my score on this test was 67 points higher than yours.

18. The Raving Atheist
    May 4th, 2003 @ 9:37 pm

MISANTHROPYST: You’ll have to license the idea from Anton (he’s the one who had to confront Clubbeaux with it).

KAFKAESQUI: You’ll have to take that up with Anton, too.

EMILY: Oh . . . er . . . uh . . . Hi . . . Emily. Damn. I always feel so dirty in your presence. Like I’ve been caught smoking or something. However, everything will become clear to you on Wednesday.

I just got a 49 on that test. I began to wonder if part of the test was exhibiting patience after realizing that the questions weren’t ending.

I think one of the problems with it was questions like “I often find it difficult to judge whether something is rude or polite” and “If I say something that someone else is offended by, I think that

19. Mark
    May 4th, 2003 @ 11:33 pm

Gotta love you, Mr. Raving Atheist! Nobody but you would dare parody this story.

Actually, what is really shameful and tasteless is how the theists are using a poor dead woman to promote nonsense of the worst sort.

20. bodysaffa
    May 5th, 2003 @ 12:21 am

Hey RA,
    You are so mean stripping people of their delusions.
    Shame, shame!
    We must remember that the sheep brained masses are very delicate, and may stampeed if we remove their “horsey blinders” too suddenly.
    Honestly, someone could get hurt.

21. teh talking dog
    May 5th, 2003 @ 12:07 pm

Cartoon villain.

22. Emily
    May 5th, 2003 @ 2:05 pm

The sad thing is, I got a 16 on the systematizing test. Man o man.

23. Eva
    May 5th, 2003 @ 2:40 pm

….hmmm….should i be worried? i got a 34 in the empathy test…..but a 56 in the systemizing…
    maybe it’s the language barrier…english is not my first language….even if it is the one i speak at home….interenting tests, emily!
    Asperger-Eva

24. The Raving Atheist
    May 5th, 2003 @ 3:13 pm

MARK: I suspect you and I might disagree on what precisely that “nonsense” is.

BODYSAFFA: Are the horses wearing sheepy-blinders?

TALKING GOD: No . . . if I was, I would have said Bwuah-ha-ha.

EMILY: If you failed to answer “Strongly Agree” to question No. 2 — “I believe in common superstitions” — then your results are invalid.

EVA: I hope your first language isn’t God-talk.

25. Corey Wicks
    May 17th, 2003 @ 2:32 am

Jesus, how can anyone be so callous as to mock a mother’s plight of having her mother murdered, and then gloat over the fact that she committed suicide after reading something from your website … bragging about it.

Absolutely sickening. The coldness. De-humanizing. Just because we may find some Religionists annoying is no excuse for having absolutely no compasion and human dignity.

Shame,
    Corey Wicks

26. GodisNowHere
    May 30th, 2003 @ 4:04 am

Thanks for confirming my general suspicions about the typical atheist.
    What a sad ridiculous man would take time to write crap like you RA.

No wonder that Albert Einstein said that he didnt want to be associated with the average raving atheist.

27. Ashley
    June 2nd, 2003 @ 4:10 pm

I think you might be plagued by a tricky caps-lock button. Let me fix it for you: “GodIsNowhere”.

And I don’t really see how this website is any worse than the “typical” theist. You were obviously set in your opinion before coming to the website. Did you really need any “confirmation”? Probably not.

28. Michael R.
    July 4th, 2003 @ 6:34 pm

I honestly didn’t know that LP’s mother had committed suicide. When a parent loses a child–especially under such horrible circumstances–it is a profoundly traumatizing expeience. It drives many to desperate searches for ‘truth’, consolation, and sometimes even to a higher knowledge of reality.

The reality is, however, that little, if any, religious rhetoric can mitigate the newly awakened awareness within the sufferer: that ‘god’ has somehow caused/allowed this child’s death under such cruel circumstances. Such a tragedy refutes a basic presumption of human families: that a child should die before his/her parents, and yet, he/she is gone. It is a great existential moment for the individual. Not all survive it. Not all have the courage/dispair to take their own lives.

Sounds to me like the mother, in her anger and dispair, chose to ‘give the finger’ to this god by taking her own life. Whether she will be proven wrong or not; whether there’s a god, or not, she has taken the power of death from ‘god’ into her own hands. She chose the ultimate act of freedom as her response to the silence of god. We should comemorate her.

29. D.B.Ross, Follower of Dave's Controversial Theory
    July 31st, 2003 @ 5:27 pm

“We must remember that the sheep brained masses are very delicate”

Hey! I’m a vegetarian. Don’t insult sheep.

30. D.B.Ross, Follower of Dave's Controversial Theory
    July 31st, 2003 @ 5:27 pm

“We must remember that the sheep brained masses are very delicate”

Hey! I’m a vegetarian. Don’t insult sheep.

31. D.B.Ross, Follower of Dave's Controversial Theory
    July 31st, 2003 @ 5:27 pm

“We must remember that the sheep brained masses are very delicate”

Hey! I’m a vegetarian. Don’t insult sheep.

32. D.B.Ross, Follower of Dave's Controversial Theory
    July 31st, 2003 @ 5:27 pm

“We must remember that the sheep brained masses are very delicate”

Hey! I’m a vegetarian. Don’t insult sheep.

33. D.B.Ross, Follower of Dave's Controversial Theory
    July 31st, 2003 @ 5:27 pm

“We must remember that the sheep brained masses are very delicate”

Hey! I’m a vegetarian. Don’t insult sheep.

34. D.B.Ross, Follower of Dave's Controversial Theory
    July 31st, 2003 @ 5:27 pm

“We must remember that the sheep brained masses are very delicate”

Hey! I’m a vegetarian. Don’t insult sheep.

35. Christine
    April 12th, 2004 @ 7:19 pm

Very cruel. This site isn’t a hate site; it’s a terror site, akin to the kind of things that start the Colombine High school tragedies.
    I would consider this an explicit attack on people in general. The issue whether I disagree in philosophies concerning religions is not the case; it’s the
    callousness I see from people like you, RA, that makes you seem less than human and not capable of sympathy of any kind. God or no God, it’s no
    wonder you’re so averse to any kind of religion that speaks of any kind of positive act toward their neighbors; you simply don’t practice kindness of
    any kind. I don’t know what your personal story is and why you have such a visible, close-minded opposition to other opinions, but I think you seriously
    need to consider the power of your words. Get a life, if you can find one in your godless void where your heart’s supposed to be.

36. Radnor Tory
    August 13th, 2009 @ 2:59 pm

The Raving Atheist has the First Amendment free speech right to say whatever they want on their own blog! Period. The Raving Atheist did not cause this woman to commit suicide. Period.

I find it much more upsetting reading the thousands of rants and excrement and attacks against People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals and against those who take the Alien Hypothesis seriously for anomalous visitations. UFO disclosurists and Peta are fighting massive battles against multi-billion-dollar-funded entities: the US government in the former case, and meat and fur factories in the latter case.

Christians, Muslims, and god-believing lunatics and all the anti-animal-rightists have got absolutely nothing to complain about anything. They have politicians and legislators at every level of government – local to the Prez – catering and pandering to their every trivial cry over some selfish petty injustice.

Nothing else to discuss.

37. Bible Study
    October 20th, 2010 @ 8:03 pm

Such as sad story and proof of how Satan can destroy someones life with deception.

38. Bible Study
    October 23rd, 2010 @ 6:54 pm

I keep thinking about this story, such a shame.