Holiday Miracle in Laci Peterson Case

April 24, 2003 | 82 Comments

Modesto, California, April 24, 2003
Special to The Raving Atheist

God staged a dramatic, heartwarming reunion of Laci Peterson and her unborn son with their family over the Easter holidays, according to Laci’s mother, Sharon Rocha. In a statement released Monday, Rocha stated “I know that God [was] watching over them . . . He sent them back to us on Good Friday.” On that day, Laci’s headless, legless corpse washed ashore on the San Francisco bay, together with the remains of a full-term fetus with its umbilical cord still attached.

God confirmed his role in the miracle. “I tenderly guided those salty, decomposed chunks of meat to shore,” He said. “Originally I considered dumping them onto the Rocha’s doormat, or leaving them to be discovered in their Easter baskets,” God added. “But then I remembered that most parents prefer to have their butchered children returned in evidence bags by anonymous F.B.I. medical technicians.”

God also confirmed that he chose Good Friday for its symbolic value, noting that his own child was murdered on that day. He noted that he later completed the crucifixion/resurrection analogy by bringing the remains to life on Easter morning. “Laci and Connor [the fetus] were positively teeming with parasites in the laboratory vault on Sunday,” He said. “In fact, they almost bubbled up out of their containers, only barely restrained by the small crabs I left clinging to, and devouring, their bloody undersides.”

Comments

82 Responses to “Holiday Miracle in Laci Peterson Case”

1. Michael
    April 24th, 2003 @ 1:00 am

The Sky Fairy works in mysterious ways!

2. Toxic
    April 24th, 2003 @ 1:44 am

I know you’re right, but please, shit like this is what makes athiests look like total assholes. Have some sympathy and bite your tongue.

3. Chris
    April 24th, 2003 @ 4:14 am

LOL You’re a trip.

4. polytix
    April 24th, 2003 @ 9:23 am

Who needs sympathy when god will make everything turn out fine in the end. Besides, this is the lady who was praying that god would replace her dead daughter’s corpse with that of another pregnant woman (more or less), i don’t really think she needs sympathy.

5. The Raving Atheist
    April 24th, 2003 @ 10:25 am

TOXIC: As you said, you know I’m right. I think it’s more us “being right” that makes people call atheists total assholes than anything else. The Pope can stand up and say that gays are socially useless, but no one calls him an asshole.

POLYTIX: No no no. That was the mother of the murderer, SCOTT Peterson. Of course, I’m sure Laci’s mother was praying for the same thing.

6. fernda
    April 24th, 2003 @ 11:59 am

Since you’ve exposed yourself as a childless, and probably wifeless, crank who clearly has no grasp of the fact you are talking about people (particularly a dead little baby), and have put your obsession with hating believers of any creed over basic decency — how do you expect to reach or influence anyone else but fellow single, childless, fucked-up, sociopathic cranks?

Does anyone who posts “You da man/you go RA!” comments to RA when he spouts this shit have a boyfriend/girlfriend or a child? I bet not. I’m detecting nothing but young, angry, single, pathetic computer weenies sitting in the green glow of their computers because they’re too damned afraid to go talk to an actual human being because they would immediately detect what a disturbed loser you are. (Toxic seems to be the sole exception.)

Personally, RA, I’m glad you continually expose yourself as an utter loon, but do you have any awareness of how deranged you seem? I’ve seen Unitarian Christians who use power crystals while walking around nekkid at “Burning Man,” and who think the Wiccan’s goddess is a pretty cool chick and would probably make a nice concubine for Mohammad, come off as more coherent – and at least more human – than you. Blinding hatred blinds, kiddies.

7. Eva
    April 24th, 2003 @ 12:16 pm

oh, fernda…you seem so confused….
    by the way, would you like to be godidiot of the week?

duh, you no go, fernda. you no da man. no more holy water for you! you be drunk.

8. polytix
    April 24th, 2003 @ 3:01 pm

Now now, i wouldn’t say fernda here is being religiously minded, just missing the point. It’s the thought process (that god should be thanked for returning the murdered loved ones on a holiday), that’s being criticized, not the people involved.

As for the rest of what he/she said, it’s all true. i hate humanity as much as the next young, angry, single, pathetic atheist. Go RA! You rule! Whooooo!

9. Jason Malloy
    April 24th, 2003 @ 4:03 pm

No offense Fernda, but you seem to be the one with all the anger and the hate.

Are you going to stare me in the face and tell me you’ve never laughed at a tasteless joke about current events before? Watch any Letterman? Leno? Daily Show?

Personally, I’ll take intellectual righteousness over moral rightrousness any day. It certainly involves less hypocrisy.

10. Henry Chinaski
    April 24th, 2003 @ 4:13 pm

OK. This woman is nuts “Laci and Conner could no longer wait to be found?” Is she fucking mad? Cadavers have desires? A dead fetus has a sense of time — is just generally impatient? And with respect to God watching over them, I guess he didn’t do a very good job, now did he. I think God is just plain lazy, dropping the ball watching over them, then deciding to return the maggot-ridden carcasses by way of the bay. Very lazy indeed.

11. Nick
    April 24th, 2003 @ 4:54 pm

Fernda,

Maybe you should watch it with the blanket statements. I was vastly entertained by the RA’s fake news piece. I think he’s dead-on accurate. I’ve also got a fiancee who agrees with him. In fact, she’s kind of pretty.

I honestly don’t think RA has read anything into the woman’s quotes that wasn’t implicitly there. Perhaps if people begin to think of such absurdity in graphic terms, it might serve to kickstart their brains out of hibernation. It’s a dirty job, but I’m glad someone has the guts to do it.

How exactly is the RA incoherent? Brutally frank or impolitic, perhaps, but you seem to have had no trouble understanding him. How is he incoherent?

And, lest we forget the real-world implications of the seemingly “harmless” belief in religion, I refer you to the current controversy with Rick Santorum. I’m sure he’s a nice guy. But a lifetime of believing in the intellectual equivalent of unicorns and leprechauns has led him to the point in which his preferred situation is one in which police have the right to enter private bedrooms and arrest consenting adults.

12. Kel
    April 24th, 2003 @ 5:42 pm

I think Fernda doesn’t get it. But I do, and my husband does too. So there!

13. AL
    April 24th, 2003 @ 6:19 pm

Fernda, what makes you think that the RA is a single, dateless, angry, sociopathic crank of a computer geek? Do you have any facts to back up these assertions? Or do you, like the Pope (or the Dope, as I like to call him), enjoy making blanket, groundless accusations with no basis in fact?

What the RA said may have been tasteless, but it is undeniably true. We are dealing with facts and reasoning here, not blind emotion. Although what happened to the Rochas was a tragedy, a tragedy does not exempt you from criticism if you make a stupid comment.

I felt sorry for the families of the Columbine victims. But I still feel that the ones who wanted to point a finger at everything from Marilyn Manson, to Nintendo to the Purple Teletubby are complete and utter idiots.

I felt sorry for the victims of 9/11. I still think one of the family members of Todd Beamer’s family was an idiot when he said more or less that “the hijackers chose the wrong religion to mess with.”

An acquaintance of mine in high school got drunk one day and killed himself in a car crash. I felt sorry for the guy, but I’m not going to sit there and pretend he’s not an idiot for doing what he did when he clearly is.

I may sympathize with someone when tragedy strikes. That does not mean I am obligated to feel that they are intelligent or smart when this is not the case.

14. Kafkaesqu
    April 24th, 2003 @ 9:37 pm

I would like it noted for the record that I have called the Pope an asshole. So that’s one.

As for fernda, we got to get you some!

15. Kafkaesqu
    April 24th, 2003 @ 9:37 pm

As for fernda, we got to get you some!

16. Kafkaesqu
    April 24th, 2003 @ 9:37 pm

As for fernda, we got to get you some!

17. Kafkaesqu
    April 24th, 2003 @ 9:37 pm

As for fernda, we got to get you some!

18. Kafkaesqu
    April 24th, 2003 @ 9:37 pm

As for fernda, we got to get you some!

19. Kafkaesqu
    April 24th, 2003 @ 9:37 pm

As for fernda, we got to get you some!

20. Henry Chinaski
    April 24th, 2003 @ 10:01 pm

In tribute to Fernanda, Scott Peterson did a remake of the famous ABBA song by the same name. I only caught the chorus…

They were bobbing in the bay that night
    The stars were bright, Fernanda
    Decomposing in the salty sea
    So slippery, Fernanda
    Though I never thought that she’d come loose
    From the cement
    If I had to do the same again
    I would, my friend, Fernanda

21. Eva
    April 24th, 2003 @ 10:50 pm

there was something in the air that night…
    the stars were bright…
    fernanda!

how can you not get it, sweetie?

22. andy
    April 24th, 2003 @ 11:17 pm

Um, married atheist with child on the way (in the next 2 weeks) chiming in to agree that Fernda is a fucking idiot.

So sorry, but if Laci’s mom had gotten on national television and said “I’m so pleased that Vortog the Space Monkey has returned our daughter to us, even if decomposing” we would think she’s a looney.

I’m sorry that RA mocking your particular brand of lunacy offends your sensibilities. Oh wait, no I’m not.

23. michele
    April 25th, 2003 @ 5:13 am

Hey Fernda, even my kids agreed with this post. My husband, too!

If god was really into the symbolism thing, he would have performed the miracle on Easter Sunday, when Laci and baby would have risen from the dead.

24. Delilah
    April 25th, 2003 @ 9:38 am

Tragedy strikes the stupid just as often as it strikes the rest of us. I bet Fernda was laughing at the Iraqui information minister when he was sayign siliness. I bet she was cracking up, not paying attention to the fact that he was in an untenable situation and his people were being bombed. There’s a sad side to the story, but RA was clearly commenting on the stupid part of it all.

25. Jerry
    April 25th, 2003 @ 3:12 pm

Michael states that “this is what makes atheists look like total assholes.” Although I won’t argue this point, statements like the one

26. The Raving Atheist
    April 25th, 2003 @ 3:43 pm

I don’t know whether to be more revolted by the people who are attacking me or the ones who are defending me. How could I have posted such a horrible thing? And why the hell don’t you agree with me, you idiots?

27. Kafkaesqu
    April 25th, 2003 @ 4:15 pm

If it helps, RA, I learned long ago how to punch someone and hug them at the same time. So come here…

28. Kafkaesqu
    April 25th, 2003 @ 4:15 pm

29. Kafkaesqu
    April 25th, 2003 @ 4:15 pm

30. Kafkaesqu
    April 25th, 2003 @ 4:15 pm

31. Kafkaesqu
    April 25th, 2003 @ 4:15 pm

32. Kafkaesqu
    April 25th, 2003 @ 4:15 pm

33. Rumblefish
    April 25th, 2003 @ 4:23 pm

R.A.I didn’t understand your last post, a little clarification please.

34. The Raving Atheist
    April 25th, 2003 @ 4:42 pm

RUMBLEFISH: What I meant was, I had serious reservations about posting such a callously mean-spirited attack against an innocent grieving woman who had lost her daughter and grandson and was just trying to make sense of it the only way she knew how. That consideration delayed the post for almost two seconds, when I went ahead with it anyway because I though it was true and really funny. And then you sick fucks defend it just because it’s true and funny, and then I get attacked by idiots just because it’s inexcusably mean-spirited and totally unnecessary.

So what’s wrong with you. And you.

35. Rumblefish
    April 25th, 2003 @ 4:55 pm

I see…i think. I thought you were pissed because people were defending it for the wrong reasons. I thought both posts were great. I didn’t think you were bing insensitive. All you really did was describe how the miricle happend. “God confirmed his role in the miracle.

36. Atheist
    April 25th, 2003 @ 8:16 pm

Ooh, look at me, I’m so smart, the only logical errors in this world occur when people think about God, ha ha ha!

Idiots. Why did some of you assume that ferdna’s comment reflects a sensitivity about RELIGION?

Religion causes a lot of problems in this world, but you’re reaching here. Aren’t there a billion better targets for your sarcasm?

37. Greyhawk
    April 25th, 2003 @ 8:22 pm

How sad. If you’re confident at all in your beliefs, why do you have a site devoted to attacking others?

38. Atheist
    April 25th, 2003 @ 8:34 pm

Greyhawk, it’s because they like to feel superior whenever they possibly can.

Religion leads to a ton of problems — but I don’t think providing a little bit of comfort in a time of great grief is one of them.

39. Rumblefish
    April 26th, 2003 @ 1:13 pm

I have a feeling gayhawk and atheist are the same person. Did you read the previous comments? I think this one addresses your complaints. http://ravingatheist.com/archives/holiday_miracle_in_laci_peterson_case.html#000447

40. Atheist
    April 26th, 2003 @ 1:39 pm

Who’s gayhawk?

That’s pretty asinine. Two people disagree with you, so they must be the same person? Of course.

That comment you linked to doesn’t address my objection. I never called RA incoherent. I never said religion was harmless.

So if you showed RA’s post to the woman’s mom, what would happen? She would say, “Boy, have I been silly. I am so deluded. I’m just dumb. But these smart atheists have shown me the light.” What exactly would she do differently? What attitude would she have?

If you want to rant against religion, go right ahead. I support you. I think this country needs more of that honest thinking, desperately. Senator Santorum needs a kick in the balls. But when you attack the silliness of a grieving mother, you’re not going to win any converts to your side. There must be a million better targets of sarcasm. Of course, if your objective is simply to feel better about myself (boy I’m smart), then feel free to make fun of anyone you want.

41. Rumblefish
    April 26th, 2003 @ 3:29 pm

I think this boils down to you being up tight. If you don’t understand why it was written or why people like it from the previous posts, you never will. So there is no point in me trying to,explain it to you. No one is attacking laci’s mother, were attacking the ideology.

42. Atheist
    April 26th, 2003 @ 5:17 pm

Yeah, there’s gotta be something wrong with me if I found the piece to be in very bad taste. You gotta show me how to party sometime Rumblefish. I’m sure it will be a blast.

I think this boils down to you being a little too excited by atheism. If you don’t understand why I’m objecting to it or why people don’t like it from the previous posts, you never will. So there is no point in me trying to,explain it to you. No one is defending the ideology, in case you weren’t paying attention.

43. Ultra Deb
    April 26th, 2003 @ 6:53 pm

If I believed in “God” (and I don’t), having my daughter and unborn grandson murdered by my son-in-law would probably be the thing to convince me that there is in fact no such entity as “God.” I just don’t get the backwards thinking that says, “Oh, my loved ones were brutally murdered, but their decayed remains were discovered, therefore, there MUST be a God.” Someone explain this line of logic to me, please.

44. Rumblefish
    April 26th, 2003 @ 8:11 pm

I never said you were wrong, so you can stop with the indignation. “Bad taste” is all a matter of opinion, and as most movies tell us, opinions can’t be wrong. You never made a strong argument for why R.A shouldn’t write articles like this. If you would, please define your postion and give examples of what you find offensive. All i see is a “Come on guys, don’t be so mean” arguments followed by ad hominem attacks on the people who post here. I NEVER ACCUSED ANYONE OF DEFENDING AN IDEOLOGY. in case you didn’t notice. In closeing i’ll pass on “partying” with you, But i’m sure you’ll have fun at the kingston trio reunion concert by yourself.

45. AmbiguouslyJesus
    April 27th, 2003 @ 11:50 pm

I think this is a miraculous occurance! A new hero has been born, Gelga the Time Travelling Fetus! Unborn child….or Master Of Fate? and in response to the people who say this is tasteless, fuck off. if you think its so awful then why do you even bother to frequent the site that produces it? Personally I thought it was one of the funniest things i’ve read in a long time

46. deborah
    April 29th, 2003 @ 8:05 pm

thank god that Laci & conner came home

47. Sasha & Andrew's Roundtable
    April 30th, 2003 @ 3:09 pm

Raving Atheist vs Scam artists

Raving has decided to take on a Nigerian scam artist at his own game. Here are the rather amusing results.

48. Sasha & Andrew's Roundtable

Raving Atheist vs Scam artists

52. Sasha & Andrew's Roundtable
    April 30th, 2003 @ 3:09 pm

Raving Atheist vs Scam artists

53. Megan
    May 9th, 2003 @ 4:53 pm

Maybe it was just time for him to call her home.. the Good Lord works in strange ways.. but he always is right, maybe he worked this way for a reason, to open someones eyes to him. All I know is God is a good God no matter what! and I Pray for all who are lost that they may come to know him!

54. Debbie
    May 18th, 2003 @ 10:16 pm

The fake news piece would have been hysterical had it not focused on such a tragic event. Although I generally agree that many religious types are complete idiots when it comes to their faith, in this case I also see people who are enduring horrible pain and dealing with it in the only way they know how. I can’t imagine how I would feel in their place, and I hope I never have to find out. I think they can be forgiven for failing to make sense of an event that is completely devoid of anything that even remotely resembles sense, don’t you?

55. The Raving Atheist
    May 18th, 2003 @ 10:54 pm

DEBBIE: My motivations behind posting the fake Laci Peterson news story were somewhat complex (and bizarre); see my May 6th and 7th posts.

56. athak
    May 31st, 2003 @ 1:07 am

this is not about what she said is about a fucking ashole that kill, he shoud be the main topick ,they should (police ) beat the shit out of him

57. Eva
    May 31st, 2003 @ 2:50 am

….by your comment, i gather you are religious?

58. OhioJoe
    June 16th, 2003 @ 12:18 pm

I too am sickened by what happened ot Laci and her unborn child, but what RA wrote was to make the point it did make with the people who are complaining. It’s horrible, disgusting, isn’t it? How horrible, to bring to mind the horrific condition Laci’s body was discovered. Now, instead of hating RA, realize he is making the point of how ABSURD it is to believe God had anything to do with it. And the more you hate what he wrote, that amount of hate should be directly proportional to how much you hate the idea of God. Unless you kid yourself into the most transparent apologetic, irrational ‘free pass’ belief that ‘God is above us and should not be questioned’ or “Oh, he works in mysterious ways, and I, just the humble man, can’t begin to understand his higher prupose for events”. Give me a break.

59. Arwen
    August 17th, 2003 @ 9:31 am

Just wondering if RA was my boyfriend- they have similar views and caustic senses of homour. Surely there can’t be two of you in the world!

60. Astrophysicist
    August 23rd, 2003 @ 9:02 pm

I’m sorry, but this was completely unwarranted and childish. The offense & insolence displayed in this piece is nothing short of sick oriented humor. I agree with Toxic. It’s one thing to be an active atheist, which I was at one point, but it’s another thing to insult the beliefs of others. That makes you no better than the “raving Catholics” who run around formulating everything they say to inadvertently insult nonbelievers. Anyone who is not relative, whether they be atheist or the Pope himself, is an arrogant fool. That is one of the many reasons I am no longer a recognized Atheist. This is just sickening. To hell with ya (or in the case of the author, may your subatomic particles somehow fly apart at the speed of light).

61. June
    August 24th, 2003 @ 1:21 am

Why has nobody pointed out, either on this blog or in the press, the gross blasphemy uttered by Laci’s mother, when she says, not in a moment of grief, but in a carefully drafted statement for the press: “Laci and Conner left us on Christmas Eve. I know that God has been watching over them. He sent them back to us on Good Friday.”?

One would think that the press, or the world’s religious leaders, or some Christian watchdog league, would have raised a major objection at someone charging God with watching Laci’s brutal death unfold, especially between the sacred holidays that essentially define the Christian religion.

The anger directed toward TRA stems from the fury that all civilized humans feel at cosmic indifference, at natural injustice, at human cruelty, at God’s impotence, and — YES — at how the mother trivializes Laci’s death as being somehow supervised or approved by God. The anger is even understandable, but it is misdirected at the messenger who reported what the mother said and then extended her remarks with obvious sarcasm to make a point. Folks, that’s what TRA does! He warns you up front that he will rave against the trivializing influence of religion; so please don’t have a shit fit when he does so.

62. Raisin Lord
    August 24th, 2003 @ 4:17 am

Assholephysicist- With reasoning like that you are certainly not a pysicist. Bitching about beliefs being equivalent is like saying the moon is either flat or a sphere, whatever you happen to feel like that day is fine. (What the hell are you anyway? Not an atheist, not a christian…… if you can’t take a stand on your beliefs then keep your comments to yourself till you have something to say.)

Seeing through the sham of religion does not demand respect. I’m a good person, and the day religion stops causing war, controling people through any underhanded abuse of civil liberties they can, promoting bigotry, impeding science, and generally treating women like crap- then they’ll have my respect. —By the way, if nonchristians think they are getting any respect from the church, go to a mass and listen.

63. Jim
    August 28th, 2003 @ 10:08 am

I have to agree that RA is a tastless computer geek that uses his or her skills to bring attention to themselfs. I am a christian, but I don’t throw it in other peoples faces. I also beleve in freedom of beleiving what ever you want, but to take a sad story of Laci Peterson and stating that God placed the bodies on the beach on purpose is insane. Why don’t you use you’r energy, (or the money that it takes to run this site) and do something useful. Go buy some food and give it to the homeless, and tell them its not from God, if it makes you feel better. Just remember, for every one hateful thing you do, it is repaid three fold.

64. Kafkaesqu
    August 28th, 2003 @ 12:23 pm

Jim: RA, a computer geek? Bwa-hahahaha!!! Hehehe… Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

Now that I’ve composed myself, are you stating that God had nothing to do with Laci Peterson’s body being on that shoreline? If so, then maybe you should take it up with Laci’s mother, who seems so “insane” as to believe otherwise.

65. Kafkaesqu
    August 28th, 2003 @ 12:23 pm

66. Kafkaesqu
    August 28th, 2003 @ 12:23 pm

67. Kafkaesqu
    August 28th, 2003 @ 12:23 pm

68. Kafkaesqu
    August 28th, 2003 @ 12:23 pm

69. Kafkaesqu
    August 28th, 2003 @ 12:23 pm

70. Laura
    August 28th, 2003 @ 2:01 pm

I do believe in God and I am a Christian…However I do understand the original posters point even if his point is made somewhat graphically…I will not attack him, but I will ask him: Why does it bother you what Laci’s mom believes, If it helps her to in her time of unimaginable grief??It is so tragic that she needs to make sense of something that can never make sense…I respect your athiest viewpoint but hope you would respect others who believe diffrently

71. Jim
    August 28th, 2003 @ 11:16 pm

I have to agree with Laura. Kafkasrqur, why don’t you adress the rest of my comments? Who ever is in charge of RA is a raving geek that has nothing better to do than piss off the rest of the “normal” people that get on line. Also if God had any thing to do with Laci Petersons murder, it would not have happened. It is people like you that brings all the hate in this world. By the way, the FBI is always looking for you’r kind.

72. ash
    August 29th, 2003 @ 12:39 am

however she was found at least she and the baby were found!!!!! without them there wouldnt be a very good case against peter!! i mean how many murdered dead bodies turn up peaceful!?!? NOT MANY! some are never found! its ugly but its the truth! who wants to listen to lies? im sure her or the babies body wasnt set peacefully with pretty pink ribbon around it!!! and why is it that god is blammed for the bad things but never recognized for the good? maybe god was busy dealing with other shit people are doing!!!!!!!!!

73. Kafkaesqu
    August 29th, 2003 @ 10:24 am

Jim (Notice how I spell your name right? Guess it’s the length.): I believe RA is in charge of RA. He seems to enjoy that responsibility, and few here would want and take it from him. Let alone be foolish enough to try.

Now, which comments were those? Oh, I guess you mean the moralizing critique, where you tell RA what he should be doing with his time and money instead of spending an apparent 24 hours a day and 100% of his take home pay on this impious little web site. With that cleared up, may I ask why you’re posting here and not off doing these things you ask of others? You know, like right now, instead of wasting your energy reading and posting to this impious little web site.

Before you go, thanks for the warning about the Feds, assuming you didn’t mean they could use me in their ranks (but if you did, thanks for the employment tip). It’s good to know with a daily workload of bank robbers, Mafia activities and terrorist plots, the FBI can still find time to deal with us annoying atheists.

ash: Be careful. Certainly don’t want you to wear out the exclamation mark key on your computer.

74. Kafkaesqu
    August 29th, 2003 @ 10:24 am

75. Kafkaesqu
    August 29th, 2003 @ 10:24 am

76. Kafkaesqu
    August 29th, 2003 @ 10:24 am

77. Kafkaesqu
    August 29th, 2003 @ 10:24 am

78. Kafkaesqu
    August 29th, 2003 @ 10:24 am

79. Jen
    September 15th, 2003 @ 3:51 am

People seem to miss the point. It doesn’t matter if God or nature or the tides washed the bodies up…atheist or not, we should still be wise and understanding enough to have sympathy regarding the opinions of others. Isn’t that what everyone wants? The freedom to believe as you choose. If Laci’s mother, finds solace wherever she can, more power to her.

80. cindy
    October 7th, 2003 @ 11:31 pm

I dont know how I ended up here. All that I can say is how very sad it is to see just how sick peoples minds can be when they dont have any compassion for other human beings. It is really scary to know that I and my children live in the same world or even the same neighborhood as some of the people visiting on this site. Is this the type of conversations that go on in hell?? Sometimes when people are greiving thay say things to to try and make sense of it all. It seems to me that youre really proud to be an atheist. I understand that to mean that you dont believe in a higher power, other than yourself. THATS IT , now I get it!!!!!!!!! You are the higher power…. Look how much attention you have drawn to yourself . Im sorry for my sarcasm but it really disturbs me, your need for attention. I really think it is because of your beliefs (or lack of ) that you dont have any love in your heart for others . I think that it is very sad that someone could be that lonely and lost. I call myself a Christian, a follower of the first and the last. Saved by the grace of Jesus Christ, who spilled his blood on the cross for me and you , whether you like that or not. I am not boasting or proud and I dont need your attention or anyone elses. I have a peace that you dont have and I hurt for those who hurt and I cry with those who grieve, yes even those I dont know. I have Jesus , something you dont have or maybe something you dont want. Your salvation is in him if you want it. You will probably criticize me for being a Christian and Im sure others will too. Thats ok . I can take it with no problem. Im sure that many Christians or followers of Christ have said lots of things they shouldnt have. We are all just people (and sinners) and we are all just looking to find our way in this world.. You can sit back and laugh at us or you can find your salvation that leads to eternal life. I know that in the end it wont seem as funny anymore and you wont have the last laugh. I will pray for your soul and for the others who dont know Him. He’s there for you anytime.

81. Eva
    October 8th, 2003 @ 12:04 am

cindy….your fantasy, well worded as it is, does not impress any atheist….if you choose to waste your time talking to imaginary friends that’s ok, but not for a moment think that you are going anywhere with that…
    atheists just think religionist believers are stupid in thinking there is more to reality than what science and logic shows us….but you have so many absurd prejudices against atheists that it PROVES you are just plain dumb, even for a religionist.

oh cindy, if you knew me…..you would like me so much….i’m the happiest person in the world…

82. Penguin
    October 8th, 2003 @ 2:33 pm

Cindy –

This post was not directed to the Laci Peterson personally – it’s just a piece of satire that references a true story. It’s on the internet where anyone, including her, could see it, but she’d have to be looking for it, and then she’d know what she was getting into. So I think the chance of her suffering any psychological harm from the existence of this post is nil.

“Sometimes when people are greiving thay say things to to try and make sense of it all”… and that includes atheists. We like to try and make sense of things when we see the effects of ridiculous religious beliefs splashed all over the media. Anyone who truly wants to be tolerant of other’s opinions will at some point have to tolerate the atheist too, even when those opinions may be something as harsh as “you’ve made up a sky god and are worshipping something that doesn’t exist.” That might sound too *mean* to ever be said in a tolerant way, but yours isn’t much nicer – you *assume* we must be lonely and lost if we can’t see God.

As for lacking any human compassion, that’s completely off the mark. Most atheists are just as (if not more) moral as religious followers. And I think most of the atheists here believe it’s actually MORE kind to actually bother questioning people’s religion, holding others to their beliefs and asking that they think about them seriously. Think about it – if God does exist and you have to get this stuff right, if there is a heaven and a hell, we should damn well take it seriously. We shouldn’t be sitting on our asses tolerating each other to the point where no one dares to suggest anything is wrong. We should be challenging each other and confronting each other to make sure we get it right and no one gets left behind in hell for having a wrong belief we were too nice to question.

If someone really knows God exists, and really believes it and *knows* it, why should a question hurt so much? It’s a chance to talk about what you believe, to try and educate the atheist, or at least get a better handle on one’s own beliefs in the likely case that this won’t work. To challenge someone means you DO care. It means you actually care about someone’s opinion rather than just standing aside and thinking, “eh, why bother bringing it up.” With my best and closest friends I talk about this heavy stuff without fear, and we often disagree. With my family, everyone just sits around at holidays talking about “nice” stuff like how pretty the cheesy decorations are and what’s for dinner and never bringing up anything contraversial. Guess who I like hanging out with better.